A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Automatic to Manual Trans Swap

Old 07-09-2014, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic to Manual Trans Swap

Pretty sure people will make fun of this post, but...

There's a local body shop here in Portland that specializes in German cars. They were giving me an estimate on some body work, and they made mention of a company in Arizona that was "...building a really positive reputation doing automatic to manual conversations on B5 and C5 Audi's for around $3-4K...".

Problem is, I can't remember the name of the guy that told me this, and I can't find -anything- online referring to a transmission shop in Az specializing in Audi tranny swaps. (You can only imagine some of the nonsense search terms I fed into Google...).

Has anyone heard of these guys? I'll keep searching and see if I can get in contact with the guy from the body show. But considering that a rebuild for a 5-speed tip is around $4K, I'd honestly rather just get a manual.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

http://audis4parts.com/audi-a6-tip-t...-transmission/
Old 08-19-2014, 07:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did you do the 6spd swap? My Tip just went South and I'm considering it seriously.
Brian
Old 08-20-2014, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpha6-27Tango(jeff)

There's a local body shop here in Portland that specializes in German cars. They were giving me an estimate on some body work, and they made mention of a company in Arizona that was "...building a really positive reputation doing automatic to manual conversations on B5 and C5 Audi's for around $3-4K...".

Problem is, I can't remember the name of the guy that told me this, and I can't find -anything- online referring to a transmission shop in Az specializing in Audi tranny swaps. (You can only imagine some of the nonsense search terms I fed into Google...).

Has anyone heard of these guys? I'll keep searching and see if I can get in contact with the guy from the body show. But considering that a rebuild for a 5-speed tip is around $4K, I'd honestly rather just get a manual.
They've been doing 4.2 tips to 6spd from 2.7T. IIRC it also involves swapping out the rear diff.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Alpha6-27Tango(jeff)

Have you heard of Google?
All you have to do is ask a question.
Audi A6 Allroad TIP To 6 Speed KIT Transmission: Audis4parts.com
Old 08-21-2014, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BrianFaulkner
Did you do the 6spd swap? My Tip just went South and I'm considering it seriously.
Brian
If I had lived anywhere near these guys I would have had it done…then my daughter would have HAD to learn to shift. Cost me WAY too much to replace the tiptronic.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2003 S6 6 SPD

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
If I had lived anywhere near these guys I would have had it done…then my daughter would have HAD to learn to shift. Cost me WAY too much to replace the tiptronic.
Well it took a while to get the kit and have the local shop do the work but I finally got my 2003 S6 back today with the MANUAL transmission installed. I got the kit from Audis4Parts and had Bluewater Performance here in Denver do the install.

Initial feelings are that I don't know how I could be happier, what a blast to drive. Our weather here today is pretty nasty so can't really drive it too hard but I'm confident it's going to exceed my expectations.

Both Audis4Parts and Bluewater did great jobs, there were challenges but I'd not hesitate to do the deal again with either one. Ended up doing the European tune and it makes everything work just like it would have from the factory. PRND gone, depress clutch to start appears as it should, speedo, etc. all work as intended.

Cost was almost identical to rebuilding the Tip.

Brian
Old 11-13-2014, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Audis4parts.com guys are very knowledgeable and great to do business with. I ordered my motor from them. And of course they were trying to get me to do the swap and K04 turbo upgrade.