A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Sudden lurching, power drop at accel

Old 11-06-2014, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden lurching, power drop at accel

Hi forum people. I am new to the forum no new to Audi. I bought a used 2001 A6 Quattro 2.7L sedan. when I test drove the car it ran great. The next day I put about 200 miles on it with no issue. Today when I left my office, the CEL came on. After reading some posts, I removed the hose from the MAF sensor cover to see if it was dirty. It was not. Filled the tank with premium and drove it to the mall with my son. about 17 miles. CEL on but no symptoms. After dinner we got onto the freeway and accelerated pretty fast. Suddenly the ABS and brake symbol came on. the car started lurching on acceleration. I was able to limp home by keeping steady light pressure on the accelerator. When I got home I grabbed a flashlight to have a look. After sitting for about 15-20 minutes I pulled out the oil dipstick and there was no oil registering at the end. I added oil and was checking for vacuum leaks. I touched the hose fro. The coolant reservoir (large reservoir on top with pinkish watery coolant) and the T fitting snapped on off with very little movement. I was able to lift the hose up,so the coolant would stop running out. I am going to buy a new T-fitting tomorrow and repair it and check the coolant level.

Without experience with this car, I am hoping those of you with more time in and under the hood may have ideas. I cannot find my OBDII reader so I do not know the codes. I will get one tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem who might provide guidance.

Dave
Old 11-07-2014, 01:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

You will want to get a VAGCOM (Volkwagen/ Audi Group Reader) for the Audi as it can generally get into the rest of the features in the car and are more useful as to telling you what the actual code is vs. standard OBDII readers from the auto parts stores.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The flashing ABS was likely accompanied by the ESP light. This is the Audi traction control. When it senses the wheels are or might loose traction and engages the brakes and even takes control of the throttle. This is probably what you were experiencing.
Search this forum for ESP issues and search google for how the ESP functions. There are several possibilities. Or, it might be within spec. My 01 2.7 sometimes engages when I floor it entering the highway. NO malfunctions but a little too sensitive.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, two turbo valves and a new coolant hose assembly later, not to mention $732, unplugging the MAF causes the car to run much better. I went to a used Audi yard and bought a used MAF sensor for $45. Got home, put it on, plugged it in, same problem. If I remember correctly I got a P0102 code, low circuit detected in Mass Air Flow. The new MAF has a 6 month warranty but should I try a new factory Hitachi or go vacuum leak hunting.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by MyAudiWeghsATon
Well, two turbo valves and a new coolant hose assembly later, not to mention $732, unplugging the MAF causes the car to run much better. I went to a used Audi yard and bought a used MAF sensor for $45. Got home, put it on, plugged it in, same problem. If I remember correctly I got a P0102 code, low circuit detected in Mass Air Flow. The new MAF has a 6 month warranty but should I try a new factory Hitachi or go vacuum leak hunting.
Try a new used one.