A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Auto trans will move in D but not in 1st in tip

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto trans will move in D but not in 1st in tip

I Need some help with an auto trans issue.
03 a6 2.7t trans code FAQ.
- will go fine in reverse
- will move forward in drive (just move, not really drive in all gears)
- in tip 1st gear it behaves like the wheels are locked (it behaves exactly like you would hold your foot on the brake pedal while accelerating) - seems like two gears are engaged.
- when shifting into R or D, the engagement is quite rough
- In drive though it seems like it starts in second or a higher gear, it's definitely not in 1st
- no codes in vcds
- disconnecting the tcu causes drive to not work at all forward (same locked output effect) and reverse works
- once the car is moving in D, I switch to tip and am in 2nd gear. cannot shift to 3rd.

So currently, the car can only be "driven" like this:
- get moving then go in tip mode and drive it in 2nd. drove it like this for a couple miles to get home with no other surprises
- if i get moving in D and then stop, then the locked wheel symptom returns and I can't move forward anymore. I need to go into reverse then it will move forward again.

At this point I'm not sure what happens in D after 2nd gear, don't think i actually tried, my goal was to get the car home.
To me this seems like a stuck solenoid or pressure control valve. A friend has a valve body that we will try to swap.
I have not checked the fluid level but this really doesn't seem like a fluid level issue, especially because it happened instantly and i didn't detect any slipping.

Has anyone seen anything like it? This was all sudden, ran fine then a minute later it all went to hell. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-24-2014, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by odoboyusa
I Need some help with an auto trans issue.
03 a6 2.7t trans code FAQ.
- will go fine in reverse
- will move forward in drive (just move, not really drive in all gears)
- in tip 1st gear it behaves like the wheels are locked (it behaves exactly like you would hold your foot on the brake pedal while accelerating) - seems like two gears are engaged.
- when shifting into R or D, the engagement is quite rough
- In drive though it seems like it starts in second or a higher gear, it's definitely not in 1st
- no codes in vcds
- disconnecting the tcu causes drive to not work at all forward (same locked output effect) and reverse works
- once the car is moving in D, I switch to tip and am in 2nd gear. cannot shift to 3rd.

So currently, the car can only be "driven" like this:
- get moving then go in tip mode and drive it in 2nd. drove it like this for a couple miles to get home with no other surprises
- if i get moving in D and then stop, then the locked wheel symptom returns and I can't move forward anymore. I need to go into reverse then it will move forward again.

At this point I'm not sure what happens in D after 2nd gear, don't think i actually tried, my goal was to get the car home.
To me this seems like a stuck solenoid or pressure control valve. A friend has a valve body that we will try to swap.
I have not checked the fluid level but this really doesn't seem like a fluid level issue, especially because it happened instantly and i didn't detect any slipping.

Has anyone seen anything like it? This was all sudden, ran fine then a minute later it all went to hell. Thanks in advance!
Based on a recent post regarding a plugged up valve body solenoid oil supply screen, when you take out your valve body you might want to split it and check that screen. There are also screens on the solenoid valves. Just putting in a used valve body without splitting it to check the screen(s) isn't really a good idea.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the heads up! I agree with your statements. I also thinl the issue is with one of the planetary gearsets so I might not do anything with this transmission.