A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Audi DOA :( Any help appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just Me: I'm not sure about the C5's. I had always thought the same as you about the couple seconds of priming when the ignition is first turned to on (but as we both agree, only for a couple seconds then it is not energized until the engine is cranked or running). I have tried numerous times turning the key from the OFF to ON position with my father having his head right next to the FP and his hand on it to feel for it. He could not hear nor feel it running even for a second.

rs4: My father and I hooked the pump up to a direct 12v source (not the battery but a machine he ahd that resembles a carry battery charger. We made sure the 12v wire was snug in the FP and the ground wire was grounded. Nothing had occured when we supplied power to the pump directly.

socalclimber: Thank you brother, I would hate to spend money a new FP if it were not needed as well! As far as all of the fuses for the FP, I have checked them all (fuse panel interior, as well as power distrib. box (engine)) and all were in great shape. I took apart the under dash and got down to the FP relay in slot #4, we hooked it up to a 12v source as well and it functioned (clicked open, clicked shut) just as it should so I'm sure it is not the relay. During the key to the ON position supplied us with no voltage. We were trying everything and I believe we tested it while cranking, but can not remember. Worth another shot, of course!

Peter: Unfortunately I only have an OBDII scanner, and do not know of anyone in the Pittsburgh area (friend wise) with a VAG except my indy and of course Audi. But remember, the car is undrivable so I can't get to them.

My good friend is a mechanic and when I called him right after the car had started this morning and let him know what it did (started and ran 3-4 mins w/ no problems until I shut it off; then started and shortly after died; started again and then died; and then would not start but still cranked good & strong) he assured me it sounded like a dying/on-the-way-out fuel pump symptoms. I called Audi where I am really close to the service department manager and told him everything I had tested, checked, etc. and what the car did this morning. He too assured me it was indicative of a dying fuel pump. Comments?
Old 10-08-2010, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

absolutely correct. It always shuts right off.

G
Old 10-08-2010, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

Sounds like you are on your way .. and i hope it is the fuel pump and you will be all fixed up .. but a few pointers for next time ..may make it easier for soemone else or you for the next time ..
\for an engine you need fuel, ignition ( spark ) and compresion .. air is assumed as loong as you are on planet earth .. you could have a perfectly working fuel pump and lots of sperk but if you snap a timing belt and have no cpmpresion she is NEVER gonna start .. glad this wasn't your case ..

the easiest to eliminate is spark .. stick an old plug in a plug wire , ground it and turn it over .. if you see spark move on to fuel, if you don't you know where to start ..

BTW many if not all modern cars ahve safety devices that will not activate the fuel pump unless the car is cranking or running , It is a simple safety measure to stop pump fuel out in case of an accident or other event.

Good luck and update us to the confirmation of your find .. and go but your dad a beer
Old 10-17-2010, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, I replaced the fuel pump last week, and that indeed was the culprit! Thankfully, my guy in the parts department gave me an awesome deal, I basically paid the same price Audi pays for one, and the 1 year/12k mile warranty is still honored.

Man though, what fun THAT was - changing out a fuel pump when the tank is 3/4 full! haha

I've been driving her now for a week and have had no problems with her starting right up and running. She actually seems to be running a little smoother now, possibly the old pump wasn't supplying the injectors with enough fuel?

But, I thank each one of you for your help/input/advice! As always, I enjoy the thoughts and help of my fellow audists
Old 10-19-2010, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12v and doesn;t run? clarify

Originally Posted by 01A6Turbo
rs4: My father and I hooked the pump up to a direct 12v source (not the battery but a machine he ahd that resembles a carry battery charger. We made sure the 12v wire was snug in the FP and the ground wire was grounded. Nothing had occured when we supplied power to the pump directly.
Comments?
Let me get thsi straight. you hooked 12 directly from the battery and the pump did not run. Then the pump must be bad or at least intermittent - replace it.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 171 Likes on 150 Posts

Glad you found the problem and now your A6 is purrrrring!
Old 10-21-2010, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

AND your guy changed out the fuel filter, right? Audi says filter is for the life of the whatever, but I figure about 60K miles they should be changed.
Had a 2.0 liter Saab with the same size filter and Saab said every 30K miles...I really don't understand Audi's long term maintenance policy, especially since their engines/fuel systems pump at least as much fuel around the circuit at that ĝld 2.0 turbo engine...