A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Ash Tray won't close due to coins.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ash Tray won't close due to coins.

My baby threw some coins down the ask tray. about 3 pennies went in space underneath lighter input, i cannot get them out and ash tray won't close as cig lighter thingy does not fold down due to coins.
any suggestions? I am about to sell this car and would like to close ash tray if possible
thanks
Old 05-27-2009, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll need to remove the whole ashtray assembly to get those coins out. That requires removal of the radio headunit (you need special radio keys for that), then you can remove the climate control unit. Once those components are out of the way, you can slide out the ashtray assembly.

I think once you get it out, just turn it so the opening for the housing is facing down and shake to get the coins out, or the coins might come out of the opening where the wiring harness feeds into the cig lighter. Sorry I cannot think of an easier way to do this.

Here is a link to my RS6 steering wheel install. Sroll about half way down, and you'll see pictures of the steps to remove the radio, climate control, and ashtray assembly. https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec112.shtml

Good luck!!!
Old 05-27-2009, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by miciq
My baby threw some coins down the ask tray. about 3 pennies went in space underneath lighter input, i cannot get them out and ash tray won't close as cig lighter thingy does not fold down due to coins.
any suggestions? I am about to sell this car and would like to close ash tray if possible
thanks
Hey there,

I had the same problem, and ended up getting a real small but powerful magnet. Between that, and a tiny screwdriver, I was able to coax the coin out from under my lighter.

Good luck!
Old 05-27-2009, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do magnets attract copper pennies?
Old 05-27-2009, 07:49 AM

Default use a paperclip

Originally Posted by miciq
thanks
I have fished multiple coins out from this spot from my old audi using a paperclip that I unbent and hooked the end of...it will take a little finess and some time but may be easier than removing a lot of stuff.....