Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 28657
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Maine
Posts: 528
Default Any resolution to the weird inner front tire wear?

I have this issue where the inner edge of the front tire gets excessively worn, but only at one specific spot around the circumference of the wheel.
'01 A6 Sudden Tire Wear
4.2 / S6 owners - front tire inner edge of tread contacting upright due to tire squirm?

In my case, its on a 225k mile a6 avant. It has only been in the last 2 years that this has really been an issue. There is a good chance it has always been an issue, but I think it has been exacerbated with a new set of 17x7.5 wheels, they have a little more offset then the S4 avus's I was running (with the same tires) before, and that seems to have accelerated the wear. This big issue here is I will ear a tire to the cords (in that one particular spot) in 5k miles. The rest of the tire may have 95% tread left, but I have to pitch it because of that wear spot. This spring I redid all the control arms in the front end and had the car aligned, but it does not seem to have done the trick. I also replaced the wheel bearing on that side 2 years ago. I've measured runout on the hub and the brake rotor and there is nothing out of whack (although this is being done without the suspension loaded). It's also not one specific wheel this happens on .

Have anyone who has had this issue in the past actually cured it? I like this car very much, and can deal with alot of issues, but buying a new tire every 5k miles is not something I want to continue to do (not to mention the safety issue)
__________________
10 Q5 3.2, 09 R8, 09 3.0T Avant, 00 A6 Avant, 87 Subaru Powered Vanagon Syncro, 80 034EFI 16V Rabbit Convt.
rs4-380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 220156
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,532
Default

Well your camber is way off. You need to have whatevers worn replaced and an alignment on new tires. Worn out upper or lower control arm joints/bushings, tie rod ends, actual damaged/bent stuff. You just sighting it down is not enough, take it to an alignment shop and have them put it on a machine and inspect it. With 225k miles its going to have alot of worn out parts.
__________________
1991 Audi 200 Turbo
1999 Audi A6 Avant 2.8
1998 Audi A4 quattro 1.8T
Prospeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 80057
 
GTA_Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,277
Default

I would say it's your toe, need to get it aligned again, take it to the dealer for this job.
GTA_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 44417
 
SloopJohnB@mac.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4-380 View Post
I have this issue where the inner edge of the front tire gets excessively worn, but only at one specific spot around the circumference of the wheel.
'01 A6 Sudden Tire Wear
4.2 / S6 owners - front tire inner edge of tread contacting upright due to tire squirm?

In my case, its on a 225k mile a6 avant. It has only been in the last 2 years that this has really been an issue. There is a good chance it has always been an issue, but I think it has been exacerbated with a new set of 17x7.5 wheels, they have a little more offset then the S4 avus's I was running (with the same tires) before, and that seems to have accelerated the wear. This big issue here is I will ear a tire to the cords (in that one particular spot) in 5k miles. The rest of the tire may have 95% tread left, but I have to pitch it because of that wear spot. This spring I redid all the control arms in the front end and had the car aligned, but it does not seem to have done the trick. I also replaced the wheel bearing on that side 2 years ago. I've measured runout on the hub and the brake rotor and there is nothing out of whack (although this is being done without the suspension loaded). It's also not one specific wheel this happens on .

Have anyone who has had this issue in the past actually cured it? I like this car very much, and can deal with alot of issues, but buying a new tire every 5k miles is not something I want to continue to do (not to mention the safety issue)
If it happens with any one of the four or five wheels placed on the front (both fronts?) then it's not the wheels...my first thought was out of round wheels or tires.
Going from there, and given that you replaced a bearing without a problem prior to replacing the bearing...sounds like a bearing problem.
Is there any way you can load the suspension/tire and rotate the tire to see where it's hitting and what? Seems like you could rotate the tire wear mark closest to the suspension and then load the tire by taking it off the jack and inspecting how close the wear mark gets to anything. Then lift the car and rotate the tire, drop the car, and reinspect/measure.
Very strange that only one section of the tire is being worn...almost as if the tire is out of balance dynamically and is wobbling/hitting something.

The standard response is worn suspension parts causing cupping. Recheck all your suspension parts at 225K...you'd be surprised how many front lower suspension bjs are worn with 1-3mm slop. There should be NO movement when you load the front suspension and try to compress the bus with a big channel lock
http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...dtirewear.html

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 09-07-2013 at 01:02 PM.
SloopJohnB@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 28657
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Maine
Posts: 528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospeeder View Post
Well your camber is way off. You need to have whatevers worn replaced and an alignment on new tires. Worn out upper or lower control arm joints/bushings, tie rod ends, actual damaged/bent stuff. You just sighting it down is not enough, take it to an alignment shop and have them put it on a machine and inspect it. With 225k miles its going to have alot of worn out parts.
I'm sorry but I don't think you read the whole post. Never did I say I was sighting it down. Also, I mentioned that I replaced all the front control arms and did an alignment this spring. still same issue. It is not a camber issue, if it was it would be worn all the way around the tire.
__________________
10 Q5 3.2, 09 R8, 09 3.0T Avant, 00 A6 Avant, 87 Subaru Powered Vanagon Syncro, 80 034EFI 16V Rabbit Convt.
rs4-380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 28657
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Maine
Posts: 528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com View Post
If it happens with any one of the four or five wheels placed on the front (both fronts?) then it's not the wheels...my first thought was out of round wheels or tires.
Going from there, and given that you replaced a bearing without a problem prior to replacing the bearing...sounds like a bearing problem.
Is there any way you can load the suspension/tire and rotate the tire to see where it's hitting and what? Seems like you could rotate the tire wear mark closest to the suspension and then load the tire by taking it off the jack and inspecting how close the wear mark gets to anything. Then lift the car and rotate the tire, drop the car, and reinspect/measure.
Very strange that only one section of the tire is being worn...almost as if the tire is out of balance dynamically and is wobbling/hitting something.

The standard response is worn suspension parts causing cupping. Recheck all your suspension parts at 225K...you'd be surprised how many front lower suspension bjs are worn with 1-3mm slop. There should be NO movement when you load the front suspension and try to compress the bus with a big channel lock
http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...dtirewear.html
the issue did exist prior to the bearing replacement, but seemed to get worse afterwards. However the wheels with the lower offsets happened around the same time as the bearing so although I am not ruling out a new bearing (certainly don't want to do that again though) being a problem I am hesitant to go that way. I did all new control arms and joints this spring.

It's definitely not hitting/rubbing. It certainly looks that way, but after seeing the older posts with other people with the same issue, and checking for hub, rotor, and wheel runout, that doesn't seem to be it. People point to an alignment issue but it has to be more then that in my case. I'm wondering if anyone who had the issue in the past has cured it and can point to anything specific.
__________________
10 Q5 3.2, 09 R8, 09 3.0T Avant, 00 A6 Avant, 87 Subaru Powered Vanagon Syncro, 80 034EFI 16V Rabbit Convt.
rs4-380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 220156
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4-380 View Post
I'm sorry but I don't think you read the whole post. Never did I say I was sighting it down. Also, I mentioned that I replaced all the front control arms and did an alignment this spring. still same issue. It is not a camber issue, if it was it would be worn all the way around the tire.
Shoot i see that now, sorry your post was a tad difficult to understand. From reading it I thought you ment just the very outer edge wore to the cords and 95% of the tire is still good. So its only like, one spot on the tire? Pictures? It seems odd 2 years ago you did a wheel bearing and for 2 years its gotten alot worse. Maybe it was defective or pressed in wrong somehow.
__________________
1991 Audi 200 Turbo
1999 Audi A6 Avant 2.8
1998 Audi A4 quattro 1.8T

Last edited by Prospeeder; 09-07-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Prospeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 28657
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Maine
Posts: 528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospeeder View Post
Shoot i see that now, sorry your post was a tad difficult to understand. From reading it thought you ment just the very outter edge wore to the cords and 95% of the tire is still good. So its only like, one spot on the tire? Pictures?
yes, I realize the first link I posted isn't the exact situation, as that tire wore around the entire circumference. The 2nd link is the same situation but the pictures aren't up anymore. It's as if the tire WAS (it is not) rubbing on the spindle at only one point. There is a shallow groove worn into the tire at the inner shoulder, but it is not consistent, it is deepest at only 1 point (and obviously the shallowest 180 degrees from that point).

Some other older posts describing the same thing:
Funny wear on inside of front tires 245/40-18s
Is there any way that stock 255/40/17 tires could rub on the inside with stock suspension?
__________________
10 Q5 3.2, 09 R8, 09 3.0T Avant, 00 A6 Avant, 87 Subaru Powered Vanagon Syncro, 80 034EFI 16V Rabbit Convt.
rs4-380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 266466
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 11
Default

I didnt read thru the whole postings but wanted to share

i have a a6 and when I put the 18" rs6 wheels my front 2 tires got wear on the inside and it was from rubbing on the strut when the suspension is working up and down etc when you looked at the car on drive way and stuck your hand in there u would thing you have pleanty of space. but when driving thats when the problem comes up. my trend was prefect but inside edge went down to belts . i replace me 2 expensive tires and this time added 10mm spacer and prob is gonzo
AudiA6QQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:15 PM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community

Personal Contacts

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.