A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

all 4 windows in a allroad wagon stopped working.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You definitely have a short somewhere.

You can buy a USB cable on eBay and use the free version of Vag-COM to diagnose your problem. Someone bought a cheap $10 cable. I personally bought the real deal from ross-tech for $350.

Could be a break in the wires in the door boot, where wires bend and can crack the insulation, and short.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
You definitely have a short somewhere.

You can buy a USB cable on eBay and use the free version of Vag-COM to diagnose your problem. Someone bought a cheap $10 cable. I personally bought the real deal from ross-tech for $350.

Could be a break in the wires in the door boot, where wires bend and can crack the insulation, and short.
Thank you very much. So they all come with same interface right?
Do I have to take off the door trim to see this or brake the rubber boot that encases all the wires?
Old 04-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cyrusyn
2001 A6 allroad wagon.
stock security system

Hi everyone,
I had above mentioned car for three years. When I bought this car, rear passenger window switches did not work so rear passengers had to ask me or a driver to lower or raise the rear windows. Also window childlock didn't work when I bought this car.

About three ago, all four windows in my car stopped working. There aren't any responses to any window buttons in this car.
Coincidently, instrument panel's door ajar indication stopped working at around same time and suddenly began to work again recently.

When I go out, I have to carry two German shepherds with me in this car and they just stinks. Fortunately the sun roof works but I really have to get the windows working again.

I had factory stock car alarm system going off in the middle of night out without any reasons and number 14 fuse kept blowing up. Now these windows!

How can I fix this?
You need to check and make sure the comfort module isn't drowned. Here in Seattle I see it at least once a month during the winter. Half the time the carpet will be completely dry but if you pull up the carpet in front of the drivers seat you will see that the actual floor is 3-4 inches below the carpet. That's where module is. If it is wet, remove the module and open it up. Clean it and its connectors with electronics cleaner (parts store) and drain the water. Then open up the harness from the module to the kick panel and there are several power splices that rust and corrode. You will have to check and repair those also. Of the tons that I've done, I've only had to replace the module once or twice. Oh and fix the cause of the problem and clean out the plenum chamber drains. 2 of them around the battery. Good luck
Old 04-30-2012, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

there are not very many versions of Ross-tech cables - two levels, and one each USB and 9=pin

G
Old 04-30-2012, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get the diagnosis done first if possible.

Since you door locks work, I don't suspect the comfort module in the floor.

You can pry the boot off with fingers.

Don't know if you answered but do switches in other doors work?