A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

After a year in the '03 A6 2.7T...(a bit longish)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After a year in the '03 A6 2.7T...(a bit longish)

Just wanted to share some early impressions on the '03 2.7T after the first year.

Before the purchase, I discussed with this group some of the possible known issues. We discussed the cam tensioners and WP among other things. So, I knew going in what I might expect.

It wasn't long (~8 months) before the first signs of oil leakage showed up. And, as expected, the cam tensioners appear to be the culprit. It's not too bad at this point, and I'm already planning to address that, the TB and WP (metal impellor) at the 70K mi point later this
summer. It's a bit early compared to the factory rec, but even the local dealer is recomending TB replacement at 60K, more than 30% less than the factory rec!

The only mods so far is a straight mtm StageII from Hoppen. Fitment on the tails was a bit more difficult than expected and still needs some tweaking to be perfect. But, operationally, it's great. I wouldn't mind hearing it just a hair more, but it's much better than the factory in that respect. Maybe I'll delete the resonators when I do the StageIII, just to see if I like it. The performance is great!

The local dealer replaced all four rotors under the original warranty when I first got it, before the 50K mi ticked. So, I'll likely not upgrade brakes for awhile. Or will I...?

Overall impressions:
Great car and a fun ride...with some disappointments.

The oil leaks, even though sort of expected, should've been better addressed by the factory, IMHO. I also hear that cam seals are prone to failure. This is a definite weakness in an otherwise superbly engineered car.

The sound system is another severe disappointment. The factory sound is muddy, muffled and

generally bad compared to what I would expect, even from an '03 factory system. I have a custom system in my '91 20v that was installed more than 10 years ago that's *much* better. And, with the integration into the dash and instrument cluster, it's not easy to replace or upgrade without loosing a god bit of functionality, or lots of cash. Such a shame.

Even with all this, it's still a helluva lot of fun to drive! And, with all the available upgrades and mods, it's pretty difficult to decide what to do next. Along those lines, maybe I could get some feedback from you folks.

- Will definitely do the cam tensioners & metal WP with the TB later this summer. No question on this!

- I'd like to change the look a bit with different, non-factory wheels. I'm tempted to go with 18s for the look, but hesitate because of the higher risk of damage and expense. Am also looking for a very specific color and finish (beige-ish/grey). Wide range of choices ($ and quality). Not going to spend $1K/wheel. What to do...?

- Although it has the factory sport suspension, I'd prefer it just a little bit lower and stiffer. Adjustable coil-overs with 500lb springs.? Will that alone do the trick?

- Would like HP brakes, but would want to at least wear through the "new" originals somewhat. Considering painting the fronts until then. Tacky?

- Would like to move into mtm stageIII (downpipes/Cats/chip upgrade), and have considered doing that along with the TB/WP/CT work this summer if the $$ holds out. Thinking it would save a little on R&R charges. But maybe not. Delete the resonators so they can be put back, if too much sound?

- The EVOM V-flow intake seems a quick and easy mod. Looks to be worth doing? Is it?

- Really need better audio. So far, the best approach seems to be the RNS-E. But, to do it right is mucho $$$. I have a nice, 5-ch amp in a box. What to do...?

Obviously, all this together represents quite a chunk of cash. So, my challenge is to prioritize. I'm thinking...

Short-term (this summer):
Wheels/tires; TB/WP/CT; EVOM V-Flow; Paint the front calipers (if not too tacky); Maybe mtm
stage III and delete resonators.

Next year: Coil-overs; brakes; mtm StageIII;

Sound system: Haven't figured out how I'll address this yet.

Sorry for the longish post. Feedback appreciated.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default hmmmm.....

maybe check out some Hartman replica wheels. much cheaper, might have that color/look you're going for. Also, quick Q - the rotors, yours were covered under warranty? Are they covered under CPO warranty as well or no, or do you not know?<ul><li><a href="http://shop.achtuning.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&amp;Category=641">Ha rtman Reps</a></li></ul>
Old 06-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nope. They covered them under orig fact war. before I ticked past 50K.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hmmm...scratch the EVOM CAI. Read the recent thread. Yikes!
Old 06-21-2007, 05:22 AM

Default After 15 months with my '03 I am just has happy as you it seems.

Only repair out of warranty has been a cv boot replacement. Had a head light washer pump replaced under warranty.

Scheduled maintenance has included slotted/cross drilled rotors and ebc greenstuff pads at all corners at ~60k. Oil changes every 5k with 0w40 mobil 1.

Upgrades have included h-sports at ~60k and at 63k I put Flik Justice 18x8 gunmetal wheels on and couldn't be happier with the look. With a 33 offset the wheels are much closer to the edge of the fender then before with the stock bbs wheels. Also have hyperboost dv's.

Future plans include: (extended future since I just bought my first home this past month.)
S6 door blades, hella smoked tails, apr bi-pipe, OC.T or apr chip, and maybe a sound enhanced rs6 exhaust if I can get my hands on one.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default So, what's the offset of the 18x8s. Did you need spacers?

I'm sruggling with that decision, since I had pothole issues with the 17s. However, it was a really bad pothole season in CO(=rationalization)
Old 06-29-2007, 04:49 AM

Default The offset on the 18x8s is 33. No spacers required. The stock BBS wheels have an offset of 42.

The stock wheels are also only 7.5" wide. Use the link in my sig for wheel offset calculator. It will give an idea of how the wheel shifted further out toward the edge of the fender.