A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

ABS and ESP lights come on at the same time

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 03:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audipdx
E-Swift, did you notice only the lights on the dashboard, or did you also see excessive break pad wear?

Just the lights on the dash, no extra wear at all. I light go on and off, every time I started the car. Took it to local dealer, said it was the break light switch,replaced very cheap, and what I understand ,it's very common.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Replaced the switch over the weekend. Everything looks ok for now. I'll post an update later on whether the problem came back or not.
The swithc was $5 at the dealership, but the instructions that come with it are incorrect as far as removing the trim goes: there are two extra screws right below the dashboard that one needs to remove in order to get the lower cockpit cover off. These are accessed by removing the plastic trim between the steering wheel column and the dashboard. The instructions are possibly for the euroepan A6 models?
Old 05-28-2009, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Replaced the switch over the weekend. Everything looks ok for now. I'll post an update later on whether the problem came back or not.
Good. I hope it fixes the problem!
Old 09-10-2009, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

The swithc was $5 at the dealership, but the instructions that come with it are incorrect as far as removing the trim goes: there are two extra screws right below the dashboard that one needs to remove in order to get the lower cockpit cover off. These are accessed by removing the plastic trim between the steering wheel column and the dashboard. The instructions are possibly for the euroepan A6 models?
I'm just curious (as I'm running into the same issue) did you confirm any other symptom that the other threads were listing?
Old 09-16-2009, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HeyCoach
I'm just curious (as I'm running into the same issue) did you confirm any other symptom that the other threads were listing?
I'm not sure what other symptoms you are referring to, but I didn't notice the ESP or ABS lights comming on after I replaced the switch, and it's been a while now. If you are having the same problem, this is the easiest and least expensive thing to try, the switch is only $5 at your local Audi dealer. Also, unlike the info I found on the internet, the instructions that come with the switch state that it CAN be installed multiple times if the first installation doesn't work. Just make sure that you unscrew ALL the screws in order to remove the foot well panel: the instructions only list three screws, but there are two additional ones under the small upper panel of the steering wheel.

Good luck!