A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

3.0 asn fault code 17522

Old 04-28-2014, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.0 asn fault code 17522

Hi guys, so far I've replaced all plugs, 3 coil packs 4,5,6, new oem PCV and hoses and all vacuum lines (bar one behind timing belt cover).
Car is idling and running much better, but still getting random misfire on all cylinders and now got code 17522! When I replaced PCV had loads of yellow gunk and condensation from top of bank 1, not sure if it's related?
Old 04-28-2014, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Oxygen sensor:

17522/P1114 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor; B1 S2: Internal Resistance too High
Possible Symptoms

MIL On

Possible Causes

Faulty O2 Sensor
Wiring Harness Issue for O2 Sensor

Possible Solutions

Inspect O2 Sensor and Wiring Harness. See Repair Manual.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

High resistance indicates open connection or broken sensor heater element.
Check the connections from the ECU to the rear O2 sensor. You might try some contact cleaner at the firewall connectors..sometimes they get dirty or corroded. If the sensor on your car was spliced into the OEM harness, it's possible the splice has corroded or failed.

If you don't have connectivity issues, then you move on to replacing the sensor after checking resistance of the heater wires (two white wires)…you can measure the resistance at the firewall connector. Look up the resistance for the heater wire, it's probably something like 10-40ohms. As long as it's not open or shorted it's probably ok..it's a heater that accelerates the time to when the 02 sensor works; shortens warmup time for the sensor.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
High resistance indicates open connection or broken sensor heater element.
Check the connections from the ECU to the rear O2 sensor. You might try some contact cleaner at the firewall connectors..sometimes they get dirty or corroded. If the sensor on your car was spliced into the OEM harness, it's possible the splice has corroded or failed.

If you don't have connectivity issues, then you move on to replacing the sensor after checking resistance of the heater wires (two white wires)…you can measure the resistance at the firewall connector. Look up the resistance for the heater wire, it's probably something like 10-40ohms. As long as it's not open or shorted it's probably ok..it's a heater that accelerates the time to when the 02 sensor works; shortens warmup time for the sensor.
Thanks, just need some dry weather now. I'm more concerned about the random misfires, and wonder if they're due to the gunk from the PCV being blocked?
Old 04-29-2014, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by clueless racer
Thanks, just need some dry weather now. I'm more concerned about the random misfires, and wonder if they're due to the gunk from the PCV being blocked?
Hard to say. Misfires often from lean conditions, leaking vacuum lines. Unclogging the PCV system might have induced other leaks or uncovered them. I'd go back and go over all the vacuum lines and ports, especially kombi valves and hoses thereto, as well as the 02 sensor(s).
Old 05-03-2014, 01:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Hard to say. Misfires often from lean conditions, leaking vacuum lines. Unclogging the PCV system might have induced other leaks or uncovered them. I'd go back and go over all the vacuum lines and ports, especially kombi valves and hoses thereto, as well as the 02 sensor(s).
Now only getting p0300 and misfires on all cylinders, all vacuum lines replaced. How do I test kombi valves? Also noticed gasket on oil filler cap is cracked, could this cause vacuum drop?
Old 05-04-2014, 05:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm also wondering if bad cats could be causing misfire. But surely I'd be getting more dtc's if the cats are bad?
Old 05-04-2014, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

bad cats don't cause misfire…the front 02 sensor governs the fuel trim, after that very little ecu control. OTOH, misfires will cause bad cats..overheat, burning excess fuel in the cats.

Keep looking for vacuum leaks. They can be in other than vacuum lines, e.g., broken nipples on a tee or jet pump fitting, etc.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:34 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by clueless racer
I'm also wondering if bad cats could be causing misfire. But surely I'd be getting more dtc's if the cats are bad?
Unlikely. You have another issue.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Unlikely. You have another issue.
Misfire usually occurs between 45-65mph and hasn't happened below 40mph, until today. Drove car for 1 mile, started misfiring and stuttering at 25mph, coolant temp rose to 95*c and has never been higher than 90*c. When I turned off engine there was a little blue smoke from right hand exhaust (standing behind car). Still only getting misfire codes for all 6 cylinders.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3.0 asn fault code 17522