A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 2.7T vs. Acura TL Type-S: Initial Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2001, 07:44 PM
mbh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 2.7T vs. Acura TL Type-S: Initial Impressions

Hello Fellow Audi Fans:
My wife and I just sold our Saab wagon and replaced it with the Acura in the aforementioned title (Wagon need reduced since we no longer show dogs and don't need to carry dog crates around ;-). We almost went with an allroad, but when push comes to shove, I like a little automotive variety and the allroad, while quite nice, is essentially a 2.7T with a fanny pack and and adjustable suspension.

The following our initial impressions of the Acura and how it compares with the 2.7T (BTW, our 2.7 T is equipped with the stock sport package and 16" wheels with the Goodyear Eagle Touring tires):

* Speed/Acceleration: Pretty darn close, though the Acura feels faster, perhaps since the engine is not quite as smooth/quiet as the Audi.

* Handling/Cornering: The Acura is noticeably superior here. It just feels more nimble than the 2.7T as currently equipped. It pays to remember, however, that the Acura comes stock with 17" wheels and Michelin MXM4 tires.

* Steering: The Acura is far superior in this regard with nicely weighted steering and good road feel. The Audi, as we know, is overboosted.

* Design: No contest. The Audi wins hands down both in exterior design and interior design/quality of materials.

* Audio etc.: Both cars are equipped with the Bose system. Both sound pretty good to me, and I will need more time to come to some decision about relative quality.

* Incomparables: Well, the Acura has a top-level, easy to use navi system and the Audi has quattro. In bad weather, the Audi will lead to lower driver blood pressure ;-)

* Value: The Acura is a heck of a lot of car for an MSRP of around $32K. The Audi is more luxurious, more easily modified with performance chips, etc. and is undoubtedly more secure in bad weather. Both are fun to drive.

Which will eventually lead to a post about "Automotive Soul".....

Cheers,
Mitch
Old 09-12-2001, 10:48 PM
Elder Member

Default are you reading that off a card?

It just sounds kind of canned.

I find it funny that a juiced-up Honda Accord is more nimble than the Audi. Perhaps if you don't push it yes, but try powering out of a corner in the TL-S. It's FWD and has no limited-slip capability. I guess the clack-clack-clack stability control might limit wheel spin, but it will do so by slowing you down.

Also, the Bose systems are radically different in the two cars.
Also the safety is better in the Audi with pretensioners in the back back and more air bags blah blah blah.

The TL-S is quite a value for the money.
Old 09-13-2001, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Manual transmission?
Old 09-13-2001, 05:22 AM

Who cares what Audi guys say. Buy which the one YOU think is best, it's your car!
Old 09-13-2001, 06:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default We recently did the same comparison, but A6 2.8 v Type S...

based on price.

My impressions:
Acceleration- Quick car, much better than 2.8, comparable to 2.7 though 2.7 has better low end. However, Acura has much better mid range response. ADVANTAGE AUDI IF 2.7; ADVANTAGE ACURA IF 2.8

Handling- My A6 2.8Q has PSK rear sway bar, 225/50ZR-16 SP5000's. Acura has better turn in response but the cornering ability of my A6 is much better especially if there are any bumps in the corner. If I was to compare it to the stock configuration, then I would think the Type S would feel much better. TIED

Audio- compared to the Audi Bose, the Acura Bose is horrible!! In fact I don't think the Acura Bose is any better than the stock Audi stereo. I was so stunned that I tried several different CDs to be sure. ADVANTAGE AUDI

Paint- Audi has much better availability of colors, both interior and exterior. In a Type S, color choices are limited and there were none that my wife liked. ADVANTAGE AUDI

Transmission- Audi Tip allows more driver input. The Acura "tip" is programmed to override driver inputs. ADVANTAGE AUDI

Gauges- Audi is driver oriented. The Acura borders on video game. ADVANTAGE AUDI

Price- well at $32K sticker, the Acura is the hands down winner. Can't even buy an A4 2.8Q for that money. ADVANTAGE ACURA

Quality- saved this for last since it is so subjective. But my 98 A6 has 50K miles and doesn't have a single rattle or squeek. Solid as when it was new. Vault like solidity when shutting the doors. 2 friends have Acura TL's and both have creaks and groans at 30K and 40K respectively. And the one that is a Type S needed new Michelins at 20,000 miles. Both needed front brakes at 20,000 and not covered under warranty. ADVANTAGE AUDI

Bottom line- we decided our 50,000 mile 98 A6Q was a better car than a new Type S.

My 2 cents.
Old 09-13-2001, 04:15 PM

Default On this board you won't see much talk about Acuras. On the Acura boards you see lots of Audi talk

I went to some board a few weeks ago and almost every 3 post talked about how some guy in his new TL-S was blowing away everything he saw. And he was saying the TL-S is actually faster 0-60 than a 2.7T, yada yada yada.

In other words, there's no comparison between a sooped up Accord and any Audi. But the Hoda guys are trying really hard to make themselves believe they got and Audi for $12k less than what we got.

No doubt the TL-S is bing bang for the buck. But you get what you pay for. If you look at some of the details of things like sheet metal thickness, paint quality, plastic trim thickness, etc... you'll see the difference. I think as an Audi enthusiast you have to appreciate the many subtle engineering marvels that go into a car liket the 2.7t. When you do that you know you got what you paid for.

If you're only looking for 0-60 times then get a tl-s. It is I think just as fast as a tip 2.7T and much cheaper.
Old 09-13-2001, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Disagree heartily on the cornering and handling...

even with the overboosted steering of the 2.7T. Test drove both within 30 mins. of each other on the same course (both auto trans). Drove the Audi first (which may have cost the Acura the deal), but taking that 35 mph corner at about 50 was fun in the Audi; a bit disconcerting in the FWD Acura. Also, felt the sound system in the Audi was superior, but not enough time in the Acura to test sufficiently.
Old 09-16-2001, 07:01 AM

Default We own an 01 A6 4.2 and an 00 TL (non-s)

I would have bought CL-S for myself if they were that close. The Acura is a nice car but it doesn't handle as well, is rougher riding, and the fit and finish are not up to the Audi standards. It is a nice car for $30K though, my wife likes it a lot.