A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

'98 A6 Quattro - fuse #14 - odd issue after checking the usual suspects.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 A6 Quattro - fuse #14 - odd issue after checking the usual suspects.

About two months ago fuse #14 would blow. I did have a loose passenger side sunvisor which was replaced along with the broken mount. That didn't seem to work. I disconnected the passenger's side rear interior light.

Should I disconnect the drivers side too?

The odd issue is when the fuse blows, on the dash information display, the car show three doors as being open (all passengers doors show as open, the drivers as closed) and of course the windows and interior lights do not work.

One day I had to brake more than usual and the interior lights came on for a real brief second. Just enough to see they went on then back off. Could this be part of the problem? Could it be with a door sensor?

Finally, I have to lock/unlock the trunk with my key. It doesn't matter what position the lock is in, it will not work with the central locking... when I do lock or unlock the doors, it will make noise but it remains unlocked.

If I open the trunk via the key when the doors are locked, I can unlock all doors though. The same if I lock the trunk, I can lock all doors and arm the alarm.

Any hints and where I should go? Could it be lock related?

Thanks as usual!
Old 10-17-2008, 12:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: '98 A6 Quattro - fuse #14 - odd issue after checking the usual suspects.

I had exactly the same problem with my 98 2.8Q before my fuse 14 equipment pack up for good (the momentary interior lights working).

I would first examin the convience module, under the carpet under the passenger seat (uk models) check there is no water ingress (mine was swimming). it turned out after about 6 months of scratching my head that it was the power lines coming from the ignition going to the control module. They had corroded, so my auto electrician soldered in some new wires and everything was go again.

As far as the module is concerned it thinks that the ignition is never switched on.

good luck.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:26 AM
mpw
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When you say "rear interior light", are you referring to the footwell lights?

In any event, you should definitely try disconnecting the driver's side rear footwell light. Takes all of 2 minutes, and you have nothing to lose. As IanManchester says, there are many possible reasons for this, but I'd start with the easiest.