A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2004- Wont Start After Cluster Repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004- Wont Start After Cluster Repair

I recently had the cluster of my 2004 A6 out to repair a faulty led bulb.

After reinstalling the cluster the vehicle will not start and apparently the car thinks it is a manual instead of an automatic(lcd reads press clutch to start?). I tried a short reset sequence that was reccommended but it was no help.

I assume there is some reprgramming to the ecm or such that is needed now? How much programming if possible is needed to correct this problem? This is all new to me, this is the first time in 8 years that the car has not started.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the cluster is not coded to your car, or at least it's coded to a manual. Don't know if someone "reset" the coding, or just messed it up, but if you have VAG-COM, you can connect to the cluster and recode it.

Let's hope nothing happened to your immobilizer data
Old 12-12-2012, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The big question is did you do the repair or someone else?
I'm not sure if you mean LCD panel or a LED light.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I sent it in for a led repair, the first thing I noticed when I tried to start was the lcd display stating to press my clutch!

it was messed up, but I was told "that is not something that would be a result of the repair"...lol However they did fix my bad bulb and had a good turn around.

I dont have a vag com, so I will be having my car towed to my local shop to get re-programmed. It doesnt look like the immobilizer light is on but I dont know if that helps or not.

Thanks for confirming what I need to do get get my car going.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Understand, kinda

Originally Posted by nmitch
I sent it in for a led repair, the first thing I noticed when I tried to start was the lcd display stating to press my clutch!

it was messed up, but I was told "that is not something that would be a result of the repair"...lol However they did fix my bad bulb and had a good turn around.

I dont have a vag com, so I will be having my car towed to my local shop to get re-programmed. It doesnt look like the immobilizer light is on but I dont know if that helps or not.

Thanks for confirming what I need to do get get my car going.
Ok, so you sent it in for a "led repair" as in cluster light, right?
Then you mention "they did fix my bad bulb" now that sounds after the fact of something else, right?

Really not trying to be difficult, but the best answers you will get stem from the most accurate info you give with your questions.

If your IMB light is not on then at least we know some coding is still there, it almost sounds like something was not connected properly or a connection was left un-plugged, did you try to start the car in neutral?

Last edited by jcman; 12-12-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Then you mention "they did fix my bad bulb" now that sounds after the fact of something else, right?

If your IMB light is not on then at least we know some coding is still there, it almost sounds like something was not connected properly or a connection was left un-plugged, did you try to start the car in neutral?

I was just stating that they did fix the led that was out. The non starting isssue that I am having is new to me, the dash functions and lights up properly the car just wont start. Hopefully some coding will reslove my issue. My mechanic said the same thing as @ GTA-Driver. I was starting the car in park.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm assuming you got back the same cluster you sent in because your immobilizer isn't alarmed.

Does the place you sent it to have any warranty on the repair? Did they replace one of the backlight LEDs that illuminate the cluster?

Regardless if their 'repair' should or shouldn't effect the coding, the cluster worked when you sent and now it doesn't since you got it back. If they can't fix it, they should be held accountable and cover any cost for recoding.

What company did you send it to?
Old 12-13-2012, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hope you share what you find

Originally Posted by nmitch

I was just stating that they did fix the led that was out. The non starting isssue that I am having is new to me, the dash functions and lights up properly the car just wont start. Hopefully some coding will reslove my issue. My mechanic said the same thing as @ GTA-Driver. I was starting the car in park.
What doesn't add up here is that any led light, lcd panel or gauge replacement does not include vagcom or recoding.

My thoughts are again that one of your connectors are not in enough or a single wire connection is not being made within one of the three 32 pins,
like in the green connector number 18 or 19 being the CAN low speed (powertrain) high+/low -.

Audifirst the member has some very good info on the connectors and the pin-outs right here; https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2798354
Old 12-13-2012, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have pointed out, something does not add up. If you send the cluster for a bulb replacement or LCD screen replacement, the company should have no business resetting the coding of the cluster. Either you got somebody else's cluster, or somehow the settings got reset.

If the mileage is the same, though, then your settings got reset.

This should not happen. Your only choice now is to recode the cluster to your vehicle specs, and call the repair company and demand your money back, since they screwed it up and you had to pay to recode the damn thing.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Exactly agree on all except for one thing

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
As others have pointed out, something does not add up. If you send the cluster for a bulb replacement or LCD screen replacement, the company should have no business resetting the coding of the cluster. Either you got somebody else's cluster, or somehow the settings got reset.

If the mileage is the same, though, then your settings got reset.

This should not happen. Your only choice now is to recode the cluster to your vehicle specs, and call the repair company and demand your money back, since they screwed it up and you had to pay to recode the damn thing.
He really should check the five digit SKC code first with vagcom then call Audi or an Audi dealership to see what the orginal code is before he does anything, the last three are easy 262 being (country code USA)-(number of cylinders 6)-(engine type gas petrol) the first two are a mystery to me, my 04 3.0 qt is 16262

Quick Reply: 2004- Wont Start After Cluster Repair