A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2004 A6 w/ 17" rims - tires keep shredding

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this same issue. All I have determined is that it is NOT rubbing, if it was rubbing it would rub all around the tire, on mine there is one point on the tire were it is obviously the worst, and it gets less drastic as you get further away from that point. I run stock wheels with stock tire size for my winters, and although it isn't as drastic, I have noticed it is happening with those to. I've changed bearings and control arms, had the car aligned, and it doesn't seem to help.

I have also seen other cases on this board of people with the same issue, but no definite resolution yet.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and for what it is worth, my car is a 2000 avant
Old 01-19-2014, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who is doing your alignment?
Old 01-19-2014, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking about this clearance here? This from my lowered 2.7T. Tight, but no rubbing and no unusual wear ever.

Name:  P5200098_zps44411e43.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  579.3 KB
Old 01-19-2014, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jseklund
Yes, I get it aligned that often - but keep in mind that could be anywhere from 10-20,000 miles in between alignments. That is what I am saying, if someone got their car aligned 1X year and drove 15,000 miles you'd still probably never see this problem...but I still think it is ridiculous.

I am only hypothesizing that it is hitting the knuckle, as I obviously can't watch it when it happens and the tire is spinning. Even with this hypothesis, I am wondering HOW the tire could flex that much in the knuckle - it doesn't move with pressure at 6 and 12 o'clock, and the bearing seems very tight. Even if the suspension moved, the wheel is mounted to the hub, mounted to the knuckle - so the suspension would move the knuckle, which would move the wheel, and the two items that APPEAR to be rubbing would be moving together for the most part, I would think, no?

I'm not sure on the camber when it gets off....I am gonna get some new tires tomorrow and have them align it. Last time I took it to them in August, I showed them how close the tires were to this part of the knuckle and when I pointed it out the mechanic working on the car he called the other guys in the shop over to check it out, he couldn't believe how close it was. Even still, I just don't see how this is happening....
Holy crap, I think I've only got mine aligned twice in the 65k miles I've owned it, once about 6 months after I bought it (only slightly out of spec, probably just wasted money) and then after I broke a tie rod...
Old 01-19-2014, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, that is the clearance. Mine is tighter than that for one thing, at least it looks to be. I have attached a photo of my tire, but facing from the side of the car, which shows the part I THINK is rubbing the tire. From the angle of your photo, it looks like your knuckle does NOT have the little nub that I am talking about on my car, but it may just not be in view.

I'm on Cape Cod, so feel free to come look at it, haha....
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2014, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Also, the clearance there looks to be greater ....but I had the tire hanging off the ground, so the suspension was completely expanded and even still, it is closer than it looks.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Also, I have had alignments done by Sullivan Tire and Town Fair, but I use a local guy now because I feel he does a better job. Regardless, they all say they align it, and I am fine for a while (I've pulled the tires off myself and had a look) and then suddenly they start to wear and get much worse....
Old 01-19-2014, 05:59 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by jseklund
I inspected this issue and decided that there is only about 1/8" clearance between the tire and the knuckle and hypothesized that as the car gets out of alignment, the tire must rub the knuckle.
Unpossible.
Alignment issue.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't deny that it seems unpossible. The issue for me is, the tire is worn out in such a way that it doesn't look like solely an alignment issue. There is about a 1/8-1/4" square gouge out of the tire. The tread is fine right up to the corner, then it drops to the belt suddenly, with no sign of wear beyond the destruction. The inner sidewall exhibits the same characteristics, no wear and then drops to belt. The damage is also not consistent around the tire - it is damaged all the way around, but not as deep in a few spots.

The knuckle is the ONLY thing it could be rubbing and there is a nub that looks like it would fit perfectly into the groove.

It seems impossible to me - but I don't know what else could be wrong...I don't think it is just that the tire is tracking at an angle and rubbing the ground and wearing out...

Quick Reply: 2004 A6 w/ 17" rims - tires keep shredding