A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Headlight Customization

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Customization

Well, here goes it. I've had one Audi or another in the stable since '04. I've had this 6-speed, 2.7 turbo since '06. I've done a lot to the car, aesthetically and mechanically to improve my enjoyment of der auto.
I've finally decided to do the time consuming job of color matching the interior chrome bezel inside the h-lite to body color. (LZ9W-ebony pearl effect).
Allroad h-lites were out of the question due to availability and cost. Besides, I had a pair of spare h-lites to fool with.
This photo is the initial start point where-in I've sweated the headlamps apart. At this point, I've used 400 grit wet sand paper to remove as much chrome as possible. I'll finish the wet-sanding with 600 before I spray. I also have "eyelids" for the outside of the lites, and plan to remove the corner reflectors in them. As a side note, these h-lites were almost impossible to separate. It seems that they were glued together with a black adhesive, as opposed to the usual butyl rubber dum-dum.
I plan to have this mod done by next week. I work in a body shop, and I think I can get the paint tech to do the spraying for a good price.
Attached Images  
Old 10-02-2014, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default finished product..?

Any pictures of the finished product? thinking of doing something similar. whats the best way for heating the glue to open up the lenz?
Old 10-02-2014, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just waiting on the painter to get around to them. Unfortunately, both the left h-lites have some spots from water infiltration. Guess I'll have to live with it for now.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Headlight customize update.

JESUS! This job took forever! The eyebrows and internal bezels sat in a box, on a shelf, in two separate body shops for ONE YEAR! Both painters are close acquaintances, but just too busy, I guess. I finally got the parts painted at another shop that I was working at. The painter needed his Taurus steering column rebuilt. After I fixed it, (it's a spring loaded tilt column, a bit tricky) he actually paid me cash and told me if I ever need anything... He actually wouldn't take my money for the paint work. Helluva guy.
Mind you, I had done all the initial prep in October '14. Here's some pics of the final product.
Attached Images       
Old 04-19-2016, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joby
JESUS! This job took forever! The eyebrows and internal bezels sat in a box, on a shelf, in two separate body shops for ONE YEAR! Both painters are close acquaintances, but just too busy, I guess. I finally got the parts painted at another shop that I was working at. The painter needed his Taurus steering column rebuilt. After I fixed it, (it's a spring loaded tilt column, a bit tricky) he actually paid me cash and told me if I ever need anything... He actually wouldn't take my money for the paint work. Helluva guy.
Mind you, I had done all the initial prep in October '14. Here's some pics of the final product.
That looks cool! I really like the look.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm not super happy with the fit, but there's something going on on the left side with the fitment of the h-lite. That car was hit on that corner a few years ago, and I don't think it's ever been right. I'll deal with that when I take off the bumper to fix some scratches.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 323 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Joby
It looks good!!! The left side imperfection is barely visible. People wouldn't notice if you didn't tell them.