A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 05:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid change

I recently took my 04 A6 2.7t for an oil change ,I ask the mechanic what is the recommended mileage to change transmission fluid and filter? He tells me that for my audi the transmission fluid is good for lifetime and filter is built into transmission.

My question is : Is this really true or is it a myth and should I start looking for a new mechanic ?

This is my first audi and I want to take care of it the right way!!
Old 05-29-2013, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The answer is no and your mechanic is not impressively versed with VAG cars regarding that statement.

Search the forums "STF" and you will see what 90% of us really think on lifetime trans fluids.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:20 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by jalo215
IHe tells me that for my audi the transmission fluid is good for lifetime
He is correct. If never changed, the oil will last the lifetime of the transmission...which is also true of your engine oil.

Not sure where he got that nonsense about the filter being "built in" though.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default WTF!

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
He is correct. If never changed, the oil will last the lifetime of the transmission...which is also true of your engine oil.

Not sure where he got that nonsense about the filter being "built in" though.
Sorry dude I'm not buying this at all, changing the fluid and filter (NO FLUSH) will never cause adverse conditions and should be done regardless on a keeper after 100k miles.

Never changing the engine oil ever really? Or am I missing the sarcasm/snarky here.

The filter comment is right, yes.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcman
Sorry dude I'm not buying this at all, changing the fluid and filter (NO FLUSH) will never cause adverse conditions and should be done regardless on a keeper after 100k miles.

Never changing the engine oil ever really? Or am I missing the sarcasm/snarky here.

The filter comment is right, yes.
easy there killer! he means engine and transmission oil are lifetime, in that they will last the lifetime of the engine, which will only be 50k if you never change them!

get it
Old 05-30-2013, 03:05 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
he means engine and transmission oil are lifetime, in that they will last the lifetime of the engine
Sarcasm or not, it's true. Skipping critical fluid changes are life limiting, proper maintenance is life extending. Quality of care dictates length of life in most cases.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Black, White or a whole lotta Gray

[QUOTE=2.7Lturbo;24448752]easy there killer! he means engine and transmission oil are lifetime, in that they will last the lifetime of the engine, which will only be 50k if you never change them!

Turbo I'm not slamming 4D4.

I had no idea that lifetime had a mile mark on it like 50k, I'm a PM guy and can clearly see past the marketing "gimmick" billboards.

I duno, seems like most everyone here talks about the oil and filters they use or the proper type trans fluid so there must be a reason for it, this is what I go on too.

Notice I'm not using this "!"
Old 05-30-2013, 05:42 AM
Tech Guru

I had no idea that lifetime had a mile mark on it like 50k, I'm a PM guy and can clearly see past the marketing "gimmick" billboards.
IIRC, in car manufacturer speak, "lifetime" means the lifetime of the warranty, not the car.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
IIRC, in car manufacturer speak, "lifetime" means the lifetime of the warranty, not the car.
Yeah I see what you mean, factory warranties are a thing of the past on any C5 and lifetime is what one would or should make of it and here we are so to speak.

Just tring to give the OP some good advice on the lifetime PM stuff not the old inception sell sheet stuff from Audi.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:06 AM
Tech Guru

Yeah I see what you mean, factory warranties are a thing of the past on any C5 and lifetime is what one would or should make of it and here we are so to speak.
So I guess we can call this the afterlife? LOL

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change