A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2002 C5 3.0L Catalytic Converter CEL Question

Old 03-31-2014, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kappa4201
Let me revise "reading forums for awhile" then lol.

From the posts I read about P0421 and P0431, I never saw any remarks regarding the coolant temp sensor.

Can you help clarify the coolant temp sensors role in this problem?

Thanks
You can't or shouldn't ignore this advice that was mentioned before,
"Your best way to diagnose is to use vagcom to see real time values and pending codes that are not latching but resident."

Those codes can also be from leaking flex pipes and the list goes on so do your detective work and then come back and report the findings.

4Driver4 is spot on with the CTS if it has not been changed, I'd take his advice too.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:53 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by kappa4201
Let me revise "reading forums for awhile" then lol.

From the posts I read about P0421 and P0431, I never saw any remarks regarding the coolant temp sensor.

Can you help clarify the coolant temp sensors role in this problem?

Thanks
In reading your post, I thought you were content to live with the cat codes but were concerned about poor mileage.

Cat codes are they because the car "needs" cats...according to the crappy programming in the ecu anyway.

Poor fuel economy and cat codes are unrelated.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:13 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
In reading your post, I thought you were content to live with the cat codes but were concerned about poor mileage.

Cat codes are they because the car "needs" cats...according to the crappy programming in the ecu anyway.

Are there any symptoms of a 'bad' CTS? Can a partially plugged heater core impact the CTS readings? Some loss in heat, performance, and fuel economy this winter.

Last edited by ajg617; 03-31-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes sorry to blend the issues but if the cats are ok and won't cause any further damage I am alright with the CEL on. I wasn't sure if poor econ/ foamy oil was a cause/symptom.

I just got in touch with a guy who is going to vagcom my car Thursday.

Is there specific tests that should be done? Sorry I'm not familiar with the software or procedure.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

in simple terms - the CTS is one of the highest failing parts of our cars , and yet one of the cheapest to replace . i would consider it a maintanance item for every 5 years just to keep it from annoying me.

The CTS will monitor the coolant temp .. it richens the mixture when the car is cold and leans it out as the senses the coolant warm up . depending how it goes bad it can dump fuel in constantly thinking the car is cold. therefore bad fuel consumption and cooked cats.

Last edited by Airbag; 04-01-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just want to state for the record, that there is post cat lambda control, and bad cats can in fact cause bad fuel trims.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ddillenger
I just want to state for the record, that there is post cat lambda control, and bad cats can in fact cause bad fuel trims.
Here is the fact about your statement right out of this link: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2580765

Quote>

So, now that we know that the ECU wants to be able to control the A/F ratio. It has a prescribed set of values (maps) for a given RPM, Load, etc. So, the ECU tells the injectors to pulse for exactly XX.X milliseconds and that SHOULD get us the proper A/F ratio that we want. Well, if you tell an employee to go do something, you want to make sure they actually did it, right? The ECU has some snitches (the front O2 sensor and the MAF, for the most part) that will report back whether or not the desired mixture has been attained. The rear O2 sensor is used mostly to monitor the condition of the catalytic convertor, although in some applications it also contributes to trim information.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4

This is not always true. Converters can melt down, break apart, and be damaged and restrict the exhaust. This will absolutely drag mileage and power down. With the high coil failures seen on 3.0s It doesnt surprise me when I see the fault lights on. All it takes is a few missfires and that cat is super hot, raw fuel hits it and bam overheat meltdown.

We of course dont know if the OPs are that way but removal and inspection would make it clear. It may be like the 2.8's in A6's and the logic to set the code is too sensitive. Set of oxygen sensor spacers seem to trick them pretty good.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

It appears as though you are disagreeing with me? I am stating, for a fact, that there is post catalyst lambda control on his 3.0.

I can happily show you in the factory calibration if you'd like.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ddillenger
It appears as though you are disagreeing with me? I am stating, for a fact, that there is post catalyst lambda control on his 3.0.

I can happily show you in the factory calibration if you'd like.
You should quote me but I get who the post is directed to.

If you are referring to the Bosch LSU 4.7 Broadband Planar technology I don't believe it was used on any C5, we do in fact use the (new design at that time) LSU pre-cat sensor and the LSF post-cat sensor system that go back to the Motronic M5.4.2 that Yes suggest the post sensing does play a role in the "Long Term" fuel trim information not "Short Term Directive" considering that no related DTC's exist.

So here is my question:
Why would any engine management system allow more fuel enrichment
under a known cat performance DTC issue leading to more damage?

I'll sign that class action lawsuit all day long!

Last edited by jcman; 04-02-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 C5 3.0L Catalytic Converter CEL Question