A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2002 A6 Transmission Fluid Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 A6 Transmission Fluid Replacement Question

Hi, I need to replace my transmission fluid on 02 A6 3.0 Quattro and need help,

1. how many quarts do I need to if just drain it from the pan and refill it? AND
2. Is it the same pan as rear differential in other words is the rear differential the same as transmission fluid.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2011, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default ZF made tranny 5HP19FLA for 3.0L

Please download this page and the tranny fluid, filter change procedure starting in page-6. After that is the differential change.
It requires VAG-COM to monitor the fluid temperature. I don't know if the short-cut of thermometer will do the job.
Order 1 extra liter for the just in case situation.

Here a DIY link with pics... http://www.audiction.com/audi-mainte...-fluid-change/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ZF 5HP19FLA.pdf (1.05 MB, 1718 views)

Last edited by bigdadi; 06-30-2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

For what it's worth, I changed the tranny fluid and filter in my 98 without using VAG-COM. I just guestimated the right temp....basically drive it around for a bit to make sure it's hot, then after you shut off engine and put vehicle on jack stands let it cool down slightly.

When a gloved hand can touch the pan and stay there for about 5 seconds is when I drain.

By the time you drop the pan, change filter and replace pan, the tranny will have cooled down a lot more.

Just make sure after filling the first time till it pours out of the fill hole, to start the car and continue filling until fluid comes pouring out.

I've had no problem doing it this way and that was about 35k miles ago.

Good luck!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well here is my dillemma, The car is a salvage car (storm Salvage Title). The car had no major issues. So in order to get it retitled, i had to do a service, so i changed the oil and air filter and the car runs and shifts fine.

So now that you have that information, do I need to change the transmission fluid to get it inspected? I know that the transmission is the most sealed thing and there shouldn't be any water in it.

Any Ideas on if i should change the fluid or go without changing it for now.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2011, 09:13 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

For a flood car, I'd probably change the ATF and all three differentials. Change the filter on the trans too. It takes a few extra seconds after the pan is down.

And use VAG-COM. Guessing is a poor strategy.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks.

So my next question be, any info on how to chage it with a VAG-COM and would it be OK for the inspection if I dont change it for a couple of days. Cuz the car runs ok and I have ran the car for more than hour and then drove, shifting had no issues. I can change the fluid after the inspection.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jitesh Chawla
Thanks.

So my next question be, any info on how to chage it with a VAG-COM and would it be OK for the inspection if I dont change it for a couple of days. Cuz the car runs ok and I have ran the car for more than hour and then drove, shifting had no issues. I can change the fluid after the inspection.
I think you should be fine for inspection. What and how would a state inspection determine your tranny is faulty...especially on a sealed system with no dip-stick?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would change the fluid, but for inspection it probably isn't needed. But I would use a Vag. just for kicks I tried doing the fluid by guessing a year or 2 ago, the then did it with vag, then again when the temps were below spec, and again when temps were above specs. I found you can be off up to 2 qts either too much or too little, so getting the temp right is key! being off 1 qt is very easy. now if you don't have a Vag go pick up a cheap inferred temp gun at least.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 98Quattro
I think you should be fine for inspection. What and how would a state inspection determine your tranny is faulty...especially on a sealed system with no dip-stick?
Yeah Thats what I thought. The guy's concern was, that if the water got into the transmission, then when he takes the car to inspection station, he didn't wanna 1) mess up the transmission, 2) stall out in the way. But he shouldnt have any issues with it, Its a very tight seal, I drove the car after it was hot and letting it sit for more than an hour. I will change the fluid but I wanted to wait till the inspection because if there was anything else I needed to get done, I can do it all together.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bigdadi
Please download this page and the tranny fluid, filter change procedure starting in page-6. After that is the differential change.
It requires VAG-COM to monitor the fluid temperature. I don't know if the short-cut of thermometer will do the job.
Order 1 extra liter for the just in case situation.

Here a DIY link with pics... http://www.audiction.com/audi-mainte...-fluid-change/
Bit of a noob, so sorry if I'm missing something, but my research shows that the 2002 3.0L A6 quattro has the 5 speed automatic transmission, and not the tiptronic transmission that you have instructions for...is there a difference for doing maintenance? I have no idea so that's why I ask as I ready myself to embark on this project.

Quick Reply: 2002 A6 Transmission Fluid Replacement Question