A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2000 A6 4.2 Quattro Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2000 A6 4.2 Quattro Transmission Problem

Anybody else out there with 2000 4.2 trany problems . Reverse went on mine ,dealer told me it was the reverse clutch $12,000 to replace . Got used from salvage yard this one shakes at about 20-30 mph and makes whinning noise when you gas it but only when the car has been running for about 20 minutes. ??????
Old 03-01-2006, 06:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default What was the outcome of this?

I'm having the same problem, I'm curious what's the fix. Taking mine in to get filter and fluid changed as well in a few days.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2003 A6 4.2 Quattro tranny whines.

Hey so my friend gave me his 03 A6 because when you're driving, it's sluggish and it makes a whining noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd, and it will sometimes SLAM into second then go into limp mode. But at speeds over 30, no problems at all. What could this be?
Old 08-12-2017, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

1) Find an independent shop that is familiar with Audi and have the transmission serviced. Should be a little over $300. It sounds like you are having issues caused by a pump failure or one on the way out. If you search here on the site you will find numerous posts about this.
2) There is a paid vendor on this site that has quite a bit of knowledge in this area and has reported much success. Has working salvage transmissions that would work for you and nowhere near dealer prices. The vendor is OCLES.com. Give them a shout.
The transmission is the weak link on the 4.2 motors.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:38 PM
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleyguy
1) Find an independent shop that is familiar with Audi and have the transmission serviced. Should be a little over $300. It sounds like you are having issues caused by a pump failure or one on the way out. If you search here on the site you will find numerous posts about this.
2) There is a paid vendor on this site that has quite a bit of knowledge in this area and has reported much success. Has working salvage transmissions that would work for you and nowhere near dealer prices. The vendor is OCLES.com. Give them a shout.
The transmission is the weak link on the 4.2 motors.
@Harleyguy Thank you :-)

@Mason As symptoms go, that's not as a common one, in my experience.

The worst sort of damage we've seen has been due to independent-shop botched so-called repairs and service, so the field of endeavor is a mine-field, so to speak. It's very hard to see through the false reassurances, intimidation and bravado of a shop that's inept at doing the work but very good at convincing you that they're skilled. Supreme cynicism would be prudent, in selecting a shop. You're entering a commercial danger zone in which your transmission could end up worse, plus with some incidental damage caused in the mechanical vicinity, too.

As to the independent shop, if the fluid they want to use is red, I would intercept and abort the service. These transmissions require an unusual (and expensive) type of fluid that's honey-colored. The transmission temperature also has to be monitored and it must be in a particular temperature range when the fill plug is closed. If the independent repair shop doesn't know this, I would avoid them.

No car I've owned is immune to eventual mechanical failure, but these are great cars with, ironically, great transmissions too -- as long as one preventative maintenance step is taken. So, if you get the most pressing issue resolved, I wouldn't stop there but I'd also get the pressure regulator in the valve body renewed. It's relatively cheap insurance. Then I'd do the timing belts, avoid doing aftermarket mods on the electrical system, clear the drain holes and be well on the way to something that might well one day be worth a lot of money on the collector circuit.

I consider these cars the Audi equivalent of the Pontiac GTO. My daily driver is a car like yours except 3 years older, and I drive it hard. It seems to love it and with the preventative maintenance done, it's refusing to break.

If I ever get really quiet on this forum for a few months it'll be because I'll be in jail for driving my 4.2 at ridiculous speeds -- albeit safely. My defense will consist of asking the DA to drive my car and see if he can keep to street-legal speeds without having an emotional meltdown. He might well see my point and dismiss the charges. :-)

~Tanya

Last edited by ocles_inc; 08-12-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:03 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Mason Parker
Hey so my friend gave me his 03 A6 because when you're driving, it's sluggish and it makes a whining noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd, and it will sometimes SLAM into second then go into limp mode. But at speeds over 30, no problems at all. What could this be?
I'm going to guess broken forward clutch basket. Check the fluid level and post codes for a better diagnosis, but I think this trans needs a rebuild.