A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2000 A6 4.2 - New Member

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yar1
1) Lets hope.. but full oil change, you will need 8 quarts I recommend a Mann filter and any name brand synthetic oil that is SAE certified.

2) Go ahead a install, cant hurt. As far as plug replace go with Bosch, the OE-type 4 prongs. And When you say exposed do you mean the holes left open?

3) Hopefully fuse issue, If not electrical can be very tricky to diagnose.

4) Shouldn't' be related.. but check fuses. It seems like something is messed up. (Fuse box is located on the left side of the dash when you open the door you will see a flat panel. Use a tool to pry it open from the right side.)

5) Very common problem, you can send them out to be replaced for pretty cheap. I'll see if i can find the link.

And yes, STFA you will find ALOT of info. Tech articles will also be handy. And you could try and get a new battery.. I've read that these cars do some crazy things will a low battery.
Thanks for the reply. 2) yes, the holes where the plugs are screwed into was left exposed (the hood was down, but still bothers me). I will pull all of the fuses and reinstall them making sure all are good. I actually dropped the battery to get a slow charge over night and see if that does anything. I will let you know when I get the next update
Old 04-09-2013, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by kapkanimd
Thanks for the reply. 2) yes, the holes where the plugs are screwed into was left exposed (the hood was down, but still bothers me). I will pull all of the fuses and reinstall them making sure all are good. I actually dropped the battery to get a slow charge over night and see if that does anything. I will let you know when I get the next update
Wouldn't hurt to squirt a little oil into the open holes (pull all the plugs) and turn the engine over a few times. You can also do a compression test at this time.

I would drop the engine oil pan and clean it and redo it..use The Right Stuff as a gasket...follow the instructions, let the pan sit overnight after installation on the motor and then fill the oil pan. You'll get an idea of what's going on in the engine from the crap in the pan. Look for plastic bits that may indicate the cam chain tensioner pads are worn/missing.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Wouldn't hurt to squirt a little oil into the open holes (pull all the plugs) and turn the engine over a few times. You can also do a compression test at this time.

I would drop the engine oil pan and clean it and redo it..use The Right Stuff as a gasket...follow the instructions, let the pan sit overnight after installation on the motor and then fill the oil pan. You'll get an idea of what's going on in the engine from the crap in the pan. Look for plastic bits that may indicate the cam chain tensioner pads are worn/missing.
Ok thanks, I will do that. I put a vacuum to the holes today just for the heck of it. I thought about getting one of those scopes with camera and lcd screen. Oh, and just to be sure, you just use The Right Stuff for a gasket or in addition?
Old 04-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok guys... Pulled the oil pan.... There was barely any oil in it, but it did appear to be removed before (gasket material looked newer) and there appeared to be another chemical in there. Either way, I was pretty shocked at what I saw.. Having never seen another one on an Audi before, I know it isn't right. There appears to be a big plastic covering that is completely... melted? I don't know if it was by heat or the chemical, but it looks like a disaster in there and part of the plastic is up against the chain. There wasn't that much sludge or any chunks of plastic or metal in there, but I don't know what to think at the point. Does anyone have any pictures of normal ones (I will try and do a search after posting this)? Take a look at the pictures in the links below and let me know what you think...

IMG_1099 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_1098 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_1095 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_1097 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 04-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok I am guessing it is this plastic grid/baffle thing shown in this diagram...

http://www.csupomona.edu/~bvnorum/C5...2_oil_pump.pdf

The question is what would cause this to melt like this and if got that hot, what else could be going on with the engine... Unless it was chemicals that did it, but that still doesn't seem possible.. I found this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-98-99-AUD...-/110504821418

Not sure why it doesn't include 2000, 99-01 should be the same v8
Old 04-11-2013, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok guys... Pulled the oil pan.... There was barely any oil in it, but it did appear to be removed before (gasket material looked newer) and there appeared to be another chemical in there. Either way, I was pretty shocked at what I saw.. Having never seen another one on an Audi before, I know it isn't right. There appears to be a big plastic covering that is completely... melted? I don't know if it was by heat or the chemical, but it looks like a disaster in there and part of the plastic is up against the chain. There wasn't that much sludge or any chunks of plastic or metal in there, but I don't know what to think at the point. Does anyone have any pictures of normal ones (I will try and do a search after posting this)? Take a look at the pictures in the links below and let me know what you think...

IMG_1099 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_1098 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_1095 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_1097 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Man! It took a lot of heat or some harsh chemicals to melt that baffle. Clean it all out and get a new baffle. It also looks like, in photo #1095, that you have some congealed oil in there as well. Anyway, why the melted plastic? That would be a good thing to find out, no?

On the plus side, from what little I can see of the undercarriage, it looks to be mostly rust free so that's good.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

YIKES! That thing was really destroyed.. maybe since the engine didn't have alot of oil, it got hot too hot and melted that??? idk but forsure replace it and full er up again.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that engine overheated to the point of melting the baffle, you can forget about it. However, another possibility is that someone used a torch on the oil pan.

Once you get it together, do a compression check to see if the heads cracked or the head gasket went.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

3. After connecting the battery I discovered none of the lighting is working (dome lights, map lights, trunk lights, etc.) and the sunroof is not working (it is the solar roof). I am hoping it is just a fuse issue, but wondering if anyone knows where to start with that. The only thing disconnected is the driver door panel is off and I am not sure what that affects.
Under drivers side carpet (just ahead of seat) is a module. Please remove it and check for water. This controls the lighting, locking, and window actuation.

4. Radio comes on, displays station information, but no sound comes out any where.. not sure if it is also related to door panel being off or not..
Not related to door. It's either wiring issue or AMP is dead/full of water. It's located in the right rear of your trunk.

5. Dash board comes on, displays miles and date (although it says 1999), but the center display is all jacked up (not showing clearly).. I have seen this on videos before, but not sure if there is any fix or things to try other than replacing. The car does have the factory navigation and I am not sure if that changes anything.
Very common. Tons of people on ebay restore them, or you can do it yourself if you are proficient with a soldering iron, and have patience.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hopefully it was the result of a torch.... anyone even know what the baffle thing is for? I haven't found a part number yet and haven't seen it on anything other than the two links I posted. Going to Audi later to pick up a part and will see if they can look it up

Thanks for the advice about control module under drivers carpet. That sounds like it could be it since none of the 3 work.

Radio is now working as are the steering controls. I plugged everything back in drivers door as the panel was off.

Quick Reply: 2000 A6 4.2 - New Member