A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.7t egts dead and strange O2 errors

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.7t egts dead and strange O2 errors

Hi all,
previously I have had egt errors crop up and then a bunch of O2 codes.
So after searching on here I found the thread about resoldering them up. I did this a while ago and they seem to work ok and the O2 codes also went. However bank 2 egt is now throwing codes again (no CEL) and then it threw a B2S1 O2 code as well and put the CEL on.

So I cleared the codes and drove it about and the egt code is coming back repeatedly after every start up and its now in crappy limp mode and mpg is down. But the O2 code does not always come straight back on, sometimes its off for a week, other times a day.
Can I presume that the dead EGT is causing the O2 sensor to throw a code?

Now i am loath to pay £350 of my great british pounds for new egts. I dont particularly want to pay £60 for the pcbs that Polish guy sells either - mainly because getting the damn things out looks a nightmare! I would rather pay a couple of hundred for a new tune that codes the them out! But I did stumble upon some plug and play EGT deletes from a bloke on quattroworld...

http://forums.quattroworld.com/class...gs/28162.phtml

Has anyone used these before? Look just the part, simple bit of kit to fool the ecu into thinking its at 925C. Also might stop these O2 codes and CEL cropping up. Might also mean I dont have to drive everywhere with the laptop to clear the codes!!!!

your opinions and experience are most appreciated.

Nick
Old 06-02-2014, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

No problem... I'll be your guinea pig for you. I just ordered the parts referenced and will install them and report back. I have been searching for just such a fix to my EGT problem for some time.

That said, the dead EGTs will most likely not be related to the CEL for B2S1 O2 Sensor. Replace that sensor and the CEL will probably go out (soon to be replaced by yet another CEL...)
Old 06-03-2014, 01:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i've bought a pair. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

$40 is a small price to pay for the possible benefits. If they do work, I'll probably pull one of the egts out and put in an aftermarket gauge to keep an eye on things. Probably the drivers side one looks easiest (air box side to avoid confusing those who drive on the wrong side of the road)
Old 06-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default it works!

Got them yesterday and plugged them in, took seconds.
Then cleared all my egt and O2 codes and today drove 180 miles going to a customer site, as a test.
Lots of mixed driving, motorway, usual city gridlock and a bit of B road..... oh its nice to be on full power again and not in limp mode. Reread the codes and NONE!
So dead egts can cause false O2 codes. Best £40 ever.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by icks90
Got them yesterday and plugged them in, took seconds.
Then cleared all my egt and O2 codes and today drove 180 miles going to a customer site, as a test.
Lots of mixed driving, motorway, usual city gridlock and a bit of B road..... oh its nice to be on full power again and not in limp mode. Reread the codes and NONE!
So dead egts can cause false O2 codes. Best £40 ever.
Wow…so many purchases of this sensor delete on that link…getting bowl of popcorn and waiting to see how many turbos melt…..can't believe Audi put them in for the heckuvit.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

no need to be sarcastic John.

yes, they did put them in for a reason. And yes I would agree if you drive around hoofing the nuts off your motor on long hard pulls, you will be putting your turbo at risk. However, also ask yourself how many turbos melt on other 2.7t that have the Vast and other stage 1 tunes on where its coded out?

But you are right on a normal tune that is set up to run as lean as sensibly possible from the factory, it is prudent to have egts. I will be removing the easily accessible egt and putting in an egt gauge and buzzer in case I do get all giddy and start entering dangerous temperature territory.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You could just replace the circuit boards in the egt sensors.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2850845

I've been running these for over a year now with no issues.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

meant to be humorous rather than sarcastic…normally people don't miss my sarcasm….sorry 'bout that!