A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.7T - AC - high and low pressure both very high - fan not running - compressor

Old 07-25-2014, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
If the elctric doesnt come on it will make the a/c system overheat, way to high of high side and kick off the compressor. Fuses, the fan controller on the driver frame rail, fans themselves failed, or wire harness damage. Connectors for the fan are by the steering reservoir. Check a few more things, see if the fan controller has power and ground. if you need wire diagrams im sure i could find them.
Seems strange but possible: blocked or otherwise restricted flow AND electric fan control gone to hell.

I can hard wire (12V) the fan for now (keep running) for the time being so I can have shop suck out and refill the system. Once that is done and checked off, I can tackle the fan wiring/controller. I had a bad controller (different car) in the past, bitch to get to.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Read the post…I'll bet his pressures are still very high even with the fan running on 12v directly.
I stand by the overfill comment.
I will bleed down more.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Can't read/edit my reply so I'll try this…
bleed low side to ~45psi at @85F ambient, engine at 2000 rpm, climate control set to LO, cabin blower on manual high.
High side should be around 250psi.
Will do that first, see if anything changes.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vtraudt
That would mean any and all AC systems show the same 150 psi pressure (using the same fluid) at the same ambient temperature?
Yes, assuming they have enough fill to have any liquid.

Refrigerant Pressure and Temperature Chart For R-22, R-410A, R-407C, R-134A, R-404A
Old 07-25-2014, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If it was open a long enough you probably need to replace the desiccant.
If it ended up with enough water vapor in the system or if you charged it to the point it pulled significant liquid into the low side of the compressor, you might be looking at a new compressor (now or soon).
Old 07-25-2014, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by N_Jay
If it was open a long enough you probably need to replace the desiccant.
If it ended up with enough water vapor in the system or if you charged it to the point it pulled significant liquid into the low side of the compressor, you might be looking at a new compressor (now or soon).
Since it was cold (may 60 degree), I think I only put 2 cans in.
It was open a long time (weeks), yes.

How to replace 'desiccant'?
Old 07-25-2014, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Since it was cold (may 60 degree), I think I only put 2 cans in.
It was open a long time (weeks), yes.

How to replace 'desiccant'?
I don't know enough about the specifics of our AC systems (yet).
(Will only lean the hard way and hoping not to.)

Usually if you can trace the refrigerant lines you get to a can (the "Dryer"). It is filled with desiccant. Some open and the internal bag can be changed, other you have to change the whole piece.

Some cars have it in the or as part of the condenser.

If you did not vacuum down the system you left a lot of air mixed with the refrigerant.
I would go to a good independent AC shop.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by N_Jay
Usually if you can trace the refrigerant lines you get to a can (the "Dryer"). It is filled with desiccant. Some open and the internal bag can be changed, other you have to change the whole piece.

Some cars have it in the or as part of the condenser.

If you did not vacuum down the system you left a lot of air mixed with the refrigerant.
I would go to a good independent AC shop.
I just want to get the basic troubleshooting done before heading to the local shop for a 'suck and charge'. They are no Audi experts (knowing from past experience with 1996 A4 2.8, where they could not do the service due to first not finding low pressure connector, then not having the adapter required for those older A4).

Will also hard wire the fan to avoid giving them a reason to say "we tried but doesn't work since fan is not running".
Old 07-25-2014, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just want to get the basic troubleshooting done before heading to the local shop for a 'suck and charge'. They are no Audi experts (knowing from past experience with 1996 A4 2.8, where they could not do the service due to first not finding low pressure connector, then not having the adapter required for those older A4).

Will also hard wire the fan to avoid giving them a reason to say "we tried but doesn't work since fan is not running".

I did say a "GOOD" AC shop.

I am spoiled, I found a guy who really knows his stuff when I had to have an old Range Rover sorted out/ Have used him ever since (wish he did home AC work)
Old 07-25-2014, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Not only air mixed with refrigerant but a lot of water vapor that was in the air. That causes internal icing in the system at the expansion valve as well as potential corrosion in the compressor…water not good.
Your entire system should be flushed with nitrogen and pressure checked for leaks, the receiver/dryer (not possible to replace bag) replaced, system vacuumed, and recharged by weight of R134 including replacement of compressor lubricant.

ECS tuning has aftermarket receiver dryer for about $35 or so, the OEM costs about $200! Plug in your engine, etc., and watch for the 1998 VIN break…you might want to call them.

Audi B5 A4 Quattro V6 12v Climate Control Air Conditioning Receiver / Drier - 8A0820193AB - A/C Receiver/Drier - ES#2075194

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 07-25-2014 at 08:47 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2.7T - AC - high and low pressure both very high - fan not running - compressor