A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

1999 A6 2.8 Timing belt assistance needed please - viscous fan assembly removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 01:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DONE!

As of 4:26 AM EST, I am done. All buttoned up, burped, test driven, runs great, started immediately.

As an added bonus I get more heat than I had been getting, and the temp gauge comes up to the full 90 degree position once the engine is warm. This was a separate issue unrelated to a normal timing belt service, but one I hoped would resolve itself when I did the service - and it did. I am guessing there was something wrong with the old thermostat, but when I pulled the old one out it wasn't stuck open or anything.

Not my pic, but I added an arrow pointing to a nut you can take off to loosen a bracket for some wiring bundles. If you pull them down and towards the driver's side, you can actually fit your arm up toward the crank lock hole.

My pic, one I took as I was moving along nicely, shows the cam lock tool from blauparts. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. No guessing, no marking sprocket teeth, praying to the Mayan gods that 2012 won't destroy your car, etc. It's included in the tool rental kit with many other tools you will need. Worth the $38 (plus return shipping) IMHO.

Also, you can see another nut you can remove. Same idea, you can wiggle the bracket holding the 2 steel lines towards the front of the car and give yourself more room to get the crank pulley on/off and the serp belt on/off. Not absolutely necessary.

Boy am I tired but what a sense of accomplishment. I had to pull the all nighter to get it done before Monday morning for work, I had a late start on saturday, plus the hang up with the viscous fan assembly (man was that thing tight!)

If you have questions on the 30v V6 (or 2.0 TDI, i've done that one) timing belt, I feel like at least I can make a contribution now.

Again thanks to all for your help. You saved me big headache and big $$$$.
Attached Images   
Old 03-09-2010, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by audifirst

A6 Avant II this July 2009:

Is this your lift ? How do you like it ? is there enough room to get to transmission for servicing ? I have found seller for this lift for good price which would be perfect for my tide space in garage
Yes & yes. You will wonder how you ever worked on a car with a jack, jackstands, & a creeper.