A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Suspension problems, need help :/

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension problems, need help :/

So my A6 non sport has been giving me issues with my front passenger wheel. Theres a clunk everytime I hit a bump, usually when they are a bit big, not much on the small ones. When I turn the wheel as far as it goes to the right, it almost feels like a snap. It also vibrates on the freeway when going around 65-70 and upwards. Everytime I hit a roll on the road, my car gets an uneven bounce and feels like it wants to come loose but it seems to pivot from the front passenger wheel. I've done research and I cannot find anything. Would a it be a control arm issue, or an issue with the shocks? Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Easy to test your control arms. Jack up the car on that wheel, grab the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock, and jiggle the wheel. There should be no looseness or clunking. If you feel clunking, your control arms are shot. There is a youtube video that show how to do this check if you need.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Have you actually removed the wheel and inspected the suspension? You might be surprised what can be determined by a visual inspection.

You could also put the car up on jack stands in the front and have someone repeat your wheel (steering) turning evolution while you look and listen at the front wheels for that snap.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

could be lots of things. Tie Rod, control arm, maybe shock, but it would have to be totally dead.

Anyway, all are possible. Shocks are unlikely. Control arms and TREs are common on these cars.

Your first step is to raise the car, put it on a solid jackstand, and begin wiggling stuff looking for movement. And, of coruse, just plain looking for something wrong.

Grant
Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

"you can see a lot by just looking" - Yogi Berra
Old 01-07-2013, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

With this crowd, it ain't over until it's over.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you all, I'll give that a shot
I have a question though, will a bad control arm also cause the car to bounce unevenly through a roll on a road?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audibroski
Thank you all, I'll give that a shot
I have a question though, will a bad control arm also cause the car to bounce unevenly through a roll on a road?
Push down on each side of the front end a couple of times and see how long it takes to stabilize on each side.

Depending on the mileage on the suspension components, you could have a couple issues.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

uneven - yes in that it allows the wheel to wiggle.

Bounce, not so much -t hat's a shock.

Dot he bounce test and look for leaking oil re_ the shock.

Grant
Old 01-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I lifted the car and put it on the jack, I moved the wheel and the clunk is actually coming from under the battery. I researched and apparently it's common for the bolt to come lose. I will tighten that up tomorrow.
I also did the bounce test and it seemed to stabilize pretty evenly, although i did not check for leaking oil. I will do that as well tomorrow. Im hoping it is as easy as tightening that bolt though.

Quick Reply: Suspension problems, need help :/