A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

01 2.7T A6 with the ABS/ESP lights, 5.0 abs module??

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 2.7T A6 with the ABS/ESP lights, 5.0 abs module??

Hello,

I'm new to the forums but i have been checking it for a little while now. I decided to purchase a 2001 A6 2.7T a couple of weeks ago. Since then i have had the ABS/ESP lights on which mean my abs module needs to be repaired, correct? error code 00301. So i went to modulemaster's website and started doing some reading and figured the best way to go is with the repair. Went out to my car to look at which module i have and thats where things got a little confusing. On their site they only list and show the 5.3 and 5.7 modules, well mine looks nothing like either of those. I did some more reading and got to another website where they list and have a picture of a 5.0/5.2 module (i guess they put them on the S4's and some A6's??) and that is exactly what mine looks like.

From the research i have done it seems the actual control module is under the rear seats and it cannot be repaired. My question is, what are my choices? Purchase a new one? Can i get a used one? Costs and so on.

If anyone had any experience with this issue in the past, i would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Chase
Old 07-25-2011, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome and this might be of some help...:

ABS return flow pump -V39-
Open circuit or excessive contact resistance in Ground (GND) signal connection from ABS return flow pump relay -J105-, contact 85, to ABS control module (w/EDL) -J104-, contact 7.
Open circuit or excessive contact resistance in voltage signal
from ABS return flow pump relay -J105-, contact 86, to ABS control module (w/EDL) -J104-, contact 2.

Read Measuring Value Block, Display Group 6 => page 01-189.
Electrical testing => page 01-250, perform test step 12.

Short to positive or Ground (GND) in one of the signal wires
(continued)
Insufficient supply voltage to ABS return flow pump relay -J105-, contact 30.
ABS return flow pump relay -J105- or ABS hydraulic unit -N55- faulty.
Electrical testing => page 1-250, perform test step 23.
Electrical testing => page 1-250, perform test step 24.

Implausible signal

(continued)
Open circuit or short to Ground (GND) in wiring from ABS return flow pump relay -J105-, contact 87, to ABS control module (w/EDL) -J104-, contact 20, and to ABS hydraulic unit -N55-, contact 14.
Open circuit or short to positive in Ground (GND) connection to return pump
Electrical testing => page 1-250, perform test step 24.
Repair damaged wiring => Electrical Wiring Diagrams, Troubleshooting & Component Locations
Old 07-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks but i dont know what to do with that info.......
Old 07-25-2011, 07:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I guess i'll ask more specific questions.

1. Does anyone know how to uninstal/install the module that is under the rear seat.

2. Since it cant be repaired, what is the price to replace it? new and used.

Any DIY links for the 5.0 module?
Old 07-25-2011, 08:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

are sure its the module. I had the same code and lights and it was a $15 brake switch.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bigdawg56
are sure its the module. I had the same code and lights and it was a $15 brake switch.
From what i have been reading, it could me quit a few things. How did you figure out it a brake switch?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2.7tfixer

Originally Posted by 2.7Tfixer
From what i have been reading, it could me quit a few things. How did you figure out it a brake switch?
first thing change your name as it does not match your car knowledge.
have you even bother to check the basic?
do you have brake lights? very common failure is the switch
fuses?
and of course a more detail reading of the faults.
other than that as you suggest start throwing parts at it, eventually you will fix it.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by s4master1
first thing change your name as it does not match your car knowledge.
have you even bother to check the basic?
do you have brake lights? very common failure is the switch
fuses?
and of course a more detail reading of the faults.
other than that as you suggest start throwing parts at it, eventually you will fix it.
Well, my 2.7 is a fixer....and i am trying to fix it so I think that title is right on the money....

I guess i could change it to 2.7TisaFixer but that sounds so sad.

As for knowledge, i have owned the car for two weeks today and I think i already know more then the average A6 owner.

Brake lights are working (checked when i purchased the car). And what are those other "basics" you are referring to? I already stated i have code 00301 which says its a bad module and needs to be replaced.

The only other things i could think of is to check the fuse which is fine. Bad brake sensors will give me different codes so i am back to square one.

Any other ideas?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2.7Tfixer
Thanks but i dont know what to do with that info.......
Ok, No Problem. How did you get the code in the first place? Did you use VAG or similar OBD tool?

The information I gave you contains the diagnostic procedures. Your code in this case could be due to couple of things as mentioned in those procedures.

Like other experienced members who have mentioned here, start with basics. Look for brake light functionality / switch operation. If that's OK, move up to other places from there.

Your controller MAYBE be shot but, more than likely, the components / wiring related could be the real issues.

Of course, you can fork over the money and get a replacement controller or repair it and find out that it works or may not work. Why would your controller go bad in the first place? Find the root cause(s) if that is the case.

Eliminate the possibilities and you'll narrow down the problem to the faulty component.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tester123
Ok, No Problem. How did you get the code in the first place? Did you use VAG or similar OBD tool?

The information I gave you contains the diagnostic procedures. Your code in this case could be due to couple of things as mentioned in those procedures.

Like other experienced members who have mentioned here, start with basics. Look for brake light functionality / switch operation. If that's OK, move up to other places from there.

Your controller MAYBE be shot but, more than likely, the components / wiring related could be the real issues.

Of course, you can fork over the money and get a replacement controller or repair it and find out that it works or may not work. Why would your controller go bad in the first place? Find the root cause(s) if that is the case.

Eliminate the possibilities and you'll narrow down the problem to the faulty component.
The dealer (used car dealer) sent me to his mechanic and thats where they told me they got error code 00301. I called the Audi dealer and they told me it needs a new module. Now, i am not stupid, i am not going to jump just because they told me so.

I started doing research on what else it could be. I figured i have the 5.0 module which cannot be repaired. I checked the brake lights and fuse, all works fine.

I dont have the VAG or any other OBDII tools so i limited on that front.

I dont want to go buy new ABS sensors without knowing mine are actually bad.

So i got stuck and thought it would be best to post on the forums where people have had this issue before and was hoping i could get more detailed information from someone who has experienced this problem and solved it.

I didnt want to keep guessing and i dont have the tools to take it to the next step so i figured i would ask here.

I appreciate your help so far.

Quick Reply: 01 2.7T A6 with the ABS/ESP lights, 5.0 abs module??