A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

HVAC keeps changing to Centigrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HVAC keeps changing to Centigrade

I know this sounds strange, and I have tried searching, but the display for the heat and AC, as well as the outside temp in the gauge display of my '02 S6, keeps changing by itself, intermittently, from degrees F to degrees C. Oddly, It does it most often on warm restarts. I'm not very good at converting so I prefer it in Fahrenheit, but it seems to be reverting to its German roots. I'd also rather not take my eyes of of the road to hit the button combo to turn it back. Anyone else run in to this, and possibly have a solution?
Old 05-10-2014, 01:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have this problem as well. The fix seems to be replacement of the control unit. Kinda sucks for something as silly as the temp display. I just hit the button combo to change back to *F.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rallymarty
Have this problem as well. The fix seems to be replacement of the control unit. Kinda sucks for something as silly as the temp display. I just hit the button combo to change back to *F.
Thanks! Is that module a dealer only piece? I don't see it listed on the more commercial sites like Autohaus. Any idea what the module runs price wise?
Old 05-11-2014, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerry
Thanks! Is that module a dealer only piece? I don't see it listed on the more commercial sites like Autohaus. Any idea what the module runs price wise?
Go to ebay and buy a used one. I've seen them from $30-$100.
Check your part number and try to get the exact same one before going to similar ones.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Go to ebay and buy a used one. I've seen them from $30-$100.
Check your part number and try to get the exact same one before going to similar ones.
Great idea! One question....can I get the right part number with the VAG Com software (save one removal) or is that module information different than the actual part number?
Old 05-19-2014, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Great idea! One question....can I get the right part number with the VAG Com software (save one removal) or is that module information different than the actual part number?
Dunno. And I have a VCDS...never checked.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

If you scan the HVAC module, the first thing that VCDS reports is the part number of the module. Actually, that seems to go for all the modules.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by georgeb944
If you scan the HVAC module, the first thing that VCDS reports is the part number of the module. Actually, that seems to go for all the modules.
Thanks! I thought that was what that number might be. I will give it a whirl and see if I can match it on ebay.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just a confirmation that yes, I did just do a VCDS scan and the number reported for the climate control module did match a part number for a controller on E-bay. Great help! Thanks to all.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 60 Likes on 59 Posts

Or you could be a real leader in your country and start thinking of temperature in Celsius like the rest of the world .. Its a master plan to slowly convert you guys ..

Quick Reply: HVAC keeps changing to Centigrade