A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

00 2.7T A6 vs 02 1.8T A4

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 04:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
if you fix stuff that breaks they wil run forever...
This is true for every car. The key question is, how much do you fix. I have a '99 A4 2.8 with 155k. This has been a pretty good car with very few problems. Currently, it needs rear glass to be sealed (it bounces every time you shut the doors),front left parking light assembly (wife hit a deer), and new power steering lines. Mechanic says that with 150k on clock, he personally wouldn't put money into it. It also has some other cosmetic faults like paint peeling on bumper. This will probably be it's last winter. I have an A6 2.7T with 158k. This has had little issues from first year I had it. It has an oil leak (fixed every gasket and seal under the sun). Since it's an '01, it could be oil return lines or the turbos themselves. I knew there would be risk when I got it chipped. It also needs a torque converter, cats, and I think a wheel bearing. This has by far been one of the most fun cars I have ever driven, but it will also probably be gone in a few months. My first year or so with the A6 in the shop, I experienced immediate sticker shock. I tried a few different Indies, but it still hurt the pocket. It's sad that only recently, I found 2 mechanics that do great work at very low prices. Also with the forums, I started doing some stuff myself. If I knew these 2 mechanics or did work myself in the first 2 years, 200-250k would not be a problem. If you're handy and fix problems immediately, the 2.7T (chipped is a must) will put a large smile on your face every day.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

All sounds good. One last question, for those of you who have worked on these cars how hard are they to work on. Or I suppose a better question might be how much of a pain in the *** are they to work on?

Also how does 3700 lbs hold up in the twistys?
Old 01-31-2010, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Expert

These are not the cars you are looking for

[waives hand]
Old 01-31-2010, 06:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CTC Performance
All sounds good. One last question, for those of you who have worked on these cars how hard are they to work on. Or I suppose a better question might be how much of a pain in the *** are they to work on?
With the DIY links, much of the "regular issues" can be addressed by yourself or with the help of a friend. Just set aside time. Usually, whatever you are working on only takes 10% of the time. The remaining 90% is moving other stuff out of the way and then putting it back when done. So far the biggest PITA job was replacing driver's side O2 sensor. Me and a mechanic from another board worked on it for about 6 hours. If I am correct, Audi recommends actually dropping the transmission for this job.

Also how does 3700 lbs hold up in the twistys?
I also drive my wife's A4 (sports suspension) and a C32 AMG. They both make my stock suspension A6 feel like a tractor trailer. You might be more interested in the S4 with the 2.7T. You get the power of the bi-turbo and the nimbleness of the A4 body.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

not very hard, unless your ding turbos, then just more time consuming then hard.

plain auddi guy, have you driven a a6 with sport suspension? i actually really like the handleing, and the AWD really makes a difference. now of course a smaller car will ahndle better but the a6 sport suspension makes the car pretty nimble for its size,
Old 02-01-2010, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

You will be unhappy about the handling of the A6,unless you install sway bars and lower suspension. Stock Beamers are better as weight distribution and handling in turns; however, Audis are much better in WET, SNOW and interior luxury.
Only chipping gets you to 315 hp, so achieving 400 hp would not be hard.
If you want power, buy an S4 stick with bad turbos but good engine (same 2.7T but better suspension and easier to upgrade). I like the luxury and I bough an A6, now it has 170,000 on the same turbos, clutch, engine and suspension.
As example, I raced an M3 with my stock A6 and he did not smoke me (but I was not able to pass him because of the traffic).
Good luck!
Old 02-01-2010, 05:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

plain auddi guy, have you driven a a6 with sport suspension? i actually really like the handleing, and the AWD really makes a difference. now of course a smaller car will ahndle better but the a6 sport suspension makes the car pretty nimble for its size,
No, I didn't want anything to possibly interfere with the smooth ride. I really would like to experience it to see how much better handling it is though. I have been pleased with the A4 and A6. I am trying Mercedes now and will do BMW after that.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 4N 4RING
(same 2.7T but better suspension and easier to upgrade)
Good luck!
WTF!? they use the SAME 4 link suspension, and the motor are identical. please explain this better suspension and easier to upgrade? yet another person who dosent own the a6 with the sport package... night and day better then the stock a6, any of you that live in the southland i drove from bear lake to LA through the twistys no prob going 60
Old 02-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

WTF!? they use the SAME 4 link suspension, and the motor are identical. please explain this better suspension and easier to upgrade? yet another person who dosent own the a6 with the sport package... night and day better then the stock a6, any of you that live in the southland i drove from bear lake to LA through the twistys no prob going 60
Do you have sports seats? I like the sport seats of the C32, the handling of the A4, and the comfort of the A6. If I had the money, it would have kind of been nice to wrap them all up into one package like an RS6.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CTC Performance
Cause in the bimmer world a 300,000K mile 92 325i is still looked at as a beast and IS still a corner carver thats bulletproof so long as you take care of your car.
If you're looking to make some power (I see you're attracted to the idea of modding these turbo Audis) and carve those corners, maybe it would be better to buy a non-M e30 or e36 and then F/I it?

Sounds like you wouldn't like the handling of the FrontTrak Audis....and the Quattros do weigh a fair bit. Plus you may not like the slight understeer (speaking from my experience with an '04 2.7t S-line A6) and sometimes the tendency to be unsettled a little bit on the bumpy roads of the NE while taking sweeping curves at a fair clip.

You have to appreciate the A6 for what it is - it's an all-weather, all-conditions Autobahn-derived luxocruiser that will take you from NYC to Niagara effortlessly. It's not bad in the twisties either - probably better than say 95% of cars sold in the US. But everything is relative, and if you're coming from the e36 world you may not necessarily like the extra weight and non-rwd handling.

PS: x1000 on whoever said to get one in a stick. personal preferences aside, the tq converter probably won't hold up to the mods you're planning (RS6 turbos, stage III, etc.). we had a kid on the AZ forum who talked a big game, bashed everyone who warned him and told them he'd 'show them' at the waterfest GTG. his tranny broke on the way there

Quick Reply: 00 2.7T A6 vs 02 1.8T A4