A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

00 2.7T A6 vs 02 1.8T A4

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 06:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 2.7T A6 vs 02 1.8T A4

Whats up guys,

Im new here and have been a BMW driver for awhile now and know alot about them but nothing about Audis.

Anyway like the title says ive got to choose between those two cars. I actually like the A6 more but im not sure if its the right choice for me.

I like performance as top priority and then a well rounded everything else behind that. The A4 is lighter and more common so there are probably more aftermarket stuff in production and parts cars laying around but honestly I really like the A6s look more and its engine.

How is the V6? 250/258 torque off a turbo'd 2.7L isn't that bad. And those turbos are probably on like 2 psi. It will probably be alot easier to get 350-400 hp out of the 2.7 and with an rs6 kit on it, it would look awesome.

However my real questions are how bullet proof are A6s? Is everything going to fall apart under the weight and load/stress id be putting on it? You die hard audi guys have a problem with 150K mile audis?

Cause in the bimmer world a 300,000K mile 92 325i is still looked at as a beast and IS still a corner carver thats bulletproof so long as you take care of your car.

One more thing is I can do a lot of the work myself, ive pulled the bimmer engine, driveline, etc. So like the stupid things that are supposed to break aren't really my concern. What are the faults of the 2.7lL Biturbo?
Old 01-30-2010, 07:50 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

I'd pick whichever one you can get in a stick.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I didn't know they made A6s in stick.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I may be new to this forum, but I just purchased a 2001 Audi A6 2.7T with 105k miles about two months ago. Since I bought it, it has been in the shop more than I have driven it. I just got it back from getting new valve cover gaskets, cam tensioner seals, water pump, and timing belts. The seals were the worst part because due to the passenger side tensioner seal and/or valve cover gasket, it leaks onto the manifold and creates cabin fumes when stopped at a stop light or parking after driving. It is a very foul smell!

If you have the knowledge and money to get it fixed it is a great running car for sure! It is very powerful, but the seals are a definite defect. If they have not been replaced before they will soon need to be replaced. The main problem is that the engine gets really hot from the turbos which in turn dries and cracks the seals.

Hope this information helps your decision process out! Good luck!
Old 01-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by blehman86
I just got it back from getting new valve cover gaskets, cam tensioner seals, water pump, and timing belts.
These are maintenance items. While this service can be expensive, bitching about it is like complaining because the car needed new tires.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yeah maintenence for Audi's lack of designing correct heat shielding on the turbos. It is just crazy that some people had to have this process done much earlier than what I have had it done. It was simply a poorly designed engine for that aspect. He was asking for oppinions and that was mine. There is no reason for having a come back like that.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by blehman86
Yeah maintenence for Audi's lack of designing correct heat shielding on the turbos. It is just crazy that some people had to have this process done much earlier than what I have had it done. It was simply a poorly designed engine for that aspect. He was asking for oppinions and that was mine. There is no reason for having a come back like that.
Ehh it doesn't really matter if its OEM or aftermarket. FI cars have problems every 3 minutes. Its like the really hot girl that never shuts the **** up, shes worth it but deep down you know your killing yourself lol.
But yeah so it seems these are all problems related to the turbos some how. And running hot. I would throw a nice intercooler on and methanol injectors. Maybe that would help cool things down a bit. Also id swap out the turbos for nicer ones and while there out I could powder coat them. Im a powder coater and I could use high temp made for exhausts or at the least hi temp paint. or get them jethot coated.

I respect your opinion but it does seem like most of these things are maintenance items and a little preventive would take care of it. Or if the problem was addressed directly instead of just replacing broken parts it might do something.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default [QUOTE=CTC Performance;23920162]Ehh it doesn't really matter if its OEM or aftermarke

dude, the engines arent designed poorly, you bought a car with 100K miles on it. thats 100K miles where the previous owners(s) could have not taken care of the car like they should have, ie hot shut downs, long oil changes intervals etc.... stop being a little girl about it and learn to do the preventative maintenance yourself. or buy a car with lower miles and take care of it
Old 01-31-2010, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
dude, the engines arent designed poorly, you bought a car with 100K miles on it. thats 100K miles where the previous owners(s) could have not taken care of the car like they should have, ie hot shut downs, long oil changes intervals etc.... stop being a little girl about it and learn to do the preventative maintenance yourself. or buy a car with lower miles and take care of it
I have a question on the build quality. Cause I know with BMW your only paying for a name right? But my 15 year old car had the same oil since 2001, spark plugs from who knows when, 160K, a squrriel living behind the carpeting in the trunk, OEM shocks for the whole ride, broken driveshaft parts, missing center support bearing for the driveline, and a thrashed guibo or you may know them as flex discs, etc. The list goes on the point is the car is built like a tank and still drove with all those broken parts but whats really shocking is that the car is still like it was new. All i had to do was replace all that stuff and more and its back to normal. I could go into detail but if you put my car on the dyno with the few mods I have the engine is cracking well over the 190 bhp from the crank it comes with. And thats not cause fo the mods. I think I was like 180 after all the tuning and getting the base car down.

Are audis the same german expertise where you can beat the **** out of them and they will maybe break alot maybe not but that they can always be revived?
Old 01-31-2010, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by CTC Performance
I have a question on the build quality. Cause I know with BMW your only paying for a name right? But my 15 year old car had the same oil since 2001, spark plugs from who knows when, 160K, a squrriel living behind the carpeting in the trunk, OEM shocks for the whole ride, broken driveshaft parts, missing center support bearing for the driveline, and a thrashed guibo or you may know them as flex discs, etc. The list goes on the point is the car is built like a tank and still drove with all those broken parts but whats really shocking is that the car is still like it was new. All i had to do was replace all that stuff and more and its back to normal. I could go into detail but if you put my car on the dyno with the few mods I have the engine is cracking well over the 190 bhp from the crank it comes with. And thats not cause fo the mods. I think I was like 180 after all the tuning and getting the base car down.

Are audis the same german expertise where you can beat the **** out of them and they will maybe break alot maybe not but that they can always be revived?
if you fix stuff that breaks they wil run forever, caveat is the turbo, the turbos can fail and cause damage across the engine. keep your turbos happy and the engine is sure to follow

Quick Reply: 00 2.7T A6 vs 02 1.8T A4