A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

Title issues at Audi. Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Title issues at Audi. Anyone else?

Quick background: My 2019 A6's lease was up at the end of February and I paid off the car on January 25th with the intention of selling the car and cash in on the market value. Audi is ok with you selling the car to a 3rd party but to my surprise, the pay off amount they give to a dealer is not the same as the off-lease payoff to the consumer (OK, I guess they won't leave money on the table). So I went ahead and paid the car off. Fast forward almost 3 months and still no title. Texas titles are paper so all they had to do was mail it to me. They said they switched the 3rd party that does their titles and my title got LOST. I called the TX DMV and they said it's ok just bring a $0 balance letter and a POA and we can get the title for you. However, upon showing up at the DMV, they also require proof of government ID of whoever signed the POA and a business card to prove they work for Audi (Stupidest TX requirement but whatever). Of course Audi says we don't send employee IDs or whatever so go pound sand. At this point I'm not sure what to do because literally my car's value is going down every single day and these idiots don't seem to care or whatever so I'm interested to hear if I'm hopefully not the only one with this issue and what are you guys doing to address this. Legal action? falsify an ID of Joe Schmoe that works at Audi? I can't even register the car anymore or obviously sell it... it's just sitting in my garage collecting dust.
The following users liked this post:
jolee (11-16-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

There's a history of this, don't know how they can get away with it. Similar story, different day:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25805062
Old 04-11-2023, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue, sent Audi the whole payoff amount on 1/13/2023 and I still have not received the title. Every time I called they said it will take 2-3 weeks longer. Seriously? 3 months later I still have not received the title? This is unacceptable and it feels more than anything Audi is committing a title fraud.

Originally Posted by jcamber
Quick background: My 2019 A6's lease was up at the end of February and I paid off the car on January 25th with the intention of selling the car and cash in on the market value. Audi is ok with you selling the car to a 3rd party but to my surprise, the pay off amount they give to a dealer is not the same as the off-lease payoff to the consumer (OK, I guess they won't leave money on the table). So I went ahead and paid the car off. Fast forward almost 3 months and still no title. Texas titles are paper so all they had to do was mail it to me. They said they switched the 3rd party that does their titles and my title got LOST. I called the TX DMV and they said it's ok just bring a $0 balance letter and a POA and we can get the title for you. However, upon showing up at the DMV, they also require proof of government ID of whoever signed the POA and a business card to prove they work for Audi (Stupidest TX requirement but whatever). Of course Audi says we don't send employee IDs or whatever so go pound sand. At this point I'm not sure what to do because literally my car's value is going down every single day and these idiots don't seem to care or whatever so I'm interested to hear if I'm hopefully not the only one with this issue and what are you guys doing to address this. Legal action? falsify an ID of Joe Schmoe that works at Audi? I can't even register the car anymore or obviously sell it... it's just sitting in my garage collecting dust.
Old 04-12-2023, 02:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 292 Likes on 250 Posts

Yes I was about to also pay mine off until both of my Audi friends had paid theirs off in January, with no eta of the title. They live in two different States so I do not know how Dmv are there. Just like the rest the value of my car is dropping so I’m like screw this I can put that money into more commercial property and get the benefits of that instead.
Old 04-12-2023, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

What a mess. Glad I pay cash at the time of purchase.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Horbill
I have the same issue, sent Audi the whole payoff amount on 1/13/2023 and I still have not received the title. Every time I called they said it will take 2-3 weeks longer. Seriously? 3 months later I still have not received the title? This is unacceptable and it feels more than anything Audi is committing a title fraud.
There has got to be more to the story than them switching third parties right?? I'm seriously considering just asking a friend for a photocopy of their passport and I'll make up an Audi business card because you can't even tell any name from the scribble someone at Audi did for the POA. It's total BS what they're doing with the titles and they just give you the standard "it will take 6-8 weeks" every time you call... WTF!!
Old 04-13-2023, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

So, they are doing this systematically to keep cars off the market that would undercut their dealer sales, is that the takeaway?
The following users liked this post:
DadAudi (04-13-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mythdoc
So, they are doing this systematically to keep cars off the market that would undercut their dealer sales, is that the takeaway?
That's my interpretation and that can't possibly be legal?
Old 04-14-2023, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I’d reach out to your state’s consumer protection division of the attorney general’s office. They likely have a group that deals only with car dealer issues. Had to do that once in Maryland and, in my car, it got my problem (a lemon law claim) solved pretty quickly. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2023, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bobeisenberg
I’d reach out to your state’s consumer protection division of the attorney general’s office. They likely have a group that deals only with car dealer issues. Had to do that once in Maryland and, in my car, it got my problem (a lemon law claim) solved pretty quickly. Good luck!
Yeah I called my DMV office again and they sent me the form to file a formal complaint for the financial institution. I'm also going to request a hearing with my tax assessor's office to request a certified copy of the title (basically bypassing Audi) and will explain the situation. The DMV guy told me this is possible and shouldn't have a problem with them issuing me one.

thanks!

Quick Reply: Title issues at Audi. Anyone else?