A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

Scratches on windshield, replace or polish off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Scratches on windshield, replace or polish off?

Hello all,

Pick up the car a month ago and just noticed there are many circular scratches on the windshield. The scratches look like made by polisher; not by windshield wipers because they are not in the path of wipers. I did not notice it at the time of pick up. In fact, it is hard to see it until last week I was driving in the evening when sun sat low on the horizon and the light was hitting the windshield directly then I saw the reflection, which really bothers me while I'm driving.

I already made appointment will go visit the dealer in 2 weeks. Here is my question, should I ask them to polish them away or replace the windshield? Polish will remove those scratches but may also makes distortion; however, replace windshield may also introduces new problems if not done right.

What is your opinion? Thanks.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

well having all the tech and replacing the OEM glass costs 2700-3000 Dollars - all those tech systems need to be re-aligned - this is for a prestige with the HUD and all the goodies. A PP A6 may be less depending on what systems it is equipped with. If you have glass coverage in your insurance you may get some help there.....not sure with your specific issue. make sure if you replace to REQUIRE OEM glass.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I would try having it professionally polished first and then see what it looks like before replacing. Did you have the vehicle cleaned or detailed before noticing the scratches or swirls? Could even be a product that was used or a piece of foreign matter on the pad that was used for buffing.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Interesting. I had similar issue with wife's /18 A4 Quattro. Picked up car and didn't notice anything but approximately 3 weeks later driving into the sun noticed horizontal scratches in my line of sight. Thought perhaps car wash I use did it but they said no way. It looked like someone took a sharp object and went side to side on the windshield. I called it to attention of the selling dealer and they involved the Audi district rep and ultimately replaced the windshield. Give that a try -- very hard to mess up a windshield and if nothing was done on your watch suggest your position is that the damage must have occurred at factory or while in transit to dealer or while in possession of dealer. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Had the same issue on my 2019 A8. While doing a hand wash on the car I noticed multiple scratches on the windshield after bringing the car home after taking delivery. Dealer had the folks that do their glass replacement work polish out the scratches. They did a good job and there is no post-polish visual distortion. Here’s how it looked in direct sunlight (which I didn’t see at delivery time)...