A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

Roof top antenna broken on 1st day of ownership. Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by RamblinMan
So giving an update on my situation. There are two certified Audi body repair shops in my area and I saw one of them today.

Basically, they agreed with superswiss above that the headliner is coming out either way they go with the repair. They pointed out to me that the roof has ripples around the antenna on 3 sides and I could see what they meant. Their choices were Option A: Try to replace just the antenna and, while we're at it, see if the pointless dent repair guy can do anything with it (but they weren't really optimistic about it). They said with this option, they would leave the ripples because if you didn't know they were there, you probably wouldn't notice them. Now that I see them, I can't not notice them...but I will probably forget. Rough estimate of about $650 to $700 for this Option.

Their question mark is once they pop off the shark fin they said they aren't sure if they can get it to seal with the roof that is likely obviously dented. They will try. If they can't, they are telling me that they have to re-work the metal and that will involve re-painting the entire roof line to make it match per Audi specs and likely the entire rear lower panel. I questioned this as it seemed odd we would have to paint all that and they said it would probably be better to hide the paint line inside the door rather than on the roof. They also said under this option, they have to tow the car to and from the local Audi dealer to have the car re-calibrated per Audi specs. They said this option is likely $2500 to $3k but this was a rough estimate. They gave me a "formal" estimate on Option A with the agreement that they would look at the roof and try to make Option A work if that's the path they went.

BTW, I used a lease broker who saved me thousands on the lease and I bought this from a dealer about 2 hours away versus the one in town. The one in my area refused to agree to the deal I got so I went 2 hours north to save thousands. So I can't easily drop in on my local dealer but I did get in touch with the folks I bought it from. They said everything I Heard today sounded right to them. You just don't know until the shark fin comes off what the options may be.

So, it's a leased car and I have to decide whether to approve Option A or B. I play to pay option A 100% our of pocket. Option B would likely be an insurance claim. Dealer has said I'd likely be fine with Option A with the terms of the lease but....I'm not sure.

So that's the update. Thanks.
I somehow missed that this is a lease. So as the lessee, you are obligated to restore the car to its original condition before the damage. A rippled/dented roof is not gonna pass a lease end inspection at least I wouldn't gamble on it, so if you don't get it repaired properly now, you may get hit with extra costs when you turn in the car at the end of the lease. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
I somehow missed that this is a lease. So as the lessee, you are obligated to restore the car to its original condition before the damage. A rippled/dented roof is not gonna pass a lease end inspection at least I wouldn't gamble on it, so if you don't get it repaired properly now, you may get hit with extra costs when you turn in the car at the end of the lease. Just something to keep in mind.
I was afraid of that. I was surprised today that the manager of this very experienced certified Audi body shop told me he knew the guys at Audi and said they would not even notice the small little ripples at the end of the lease. This guy has an incentive to do a full repair it was basically telling me he did not think it was necessarily going to be needed. I agree with you though and I am concerned about it. I have reached out to the dealer I bought it from to get their opinion just in case I do have options.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

The other thing that I would mention is that the car will have an "Accident Record" on this repair. I am not sure A would trigger it...B surely trigger it. I do not know what leasing does with this type of information, but sales post event would take a hit due to decreased value. Not sure how that plays.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:50 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Two other things also....
You do not have to have the car serviced at the dealer you bought/leased it from 2 hours away. You can have service and estimates done at any Audi dealership. That is the whole point of the dealership network.
What calibration are they going to have done after the repair to the roof and antenna that would require a tow? Even if there was some bizarre calibration the car should be able to be driven there. The car will still run even without the GPS/cell antenna, but I still am not sure what calibration they could be referring to.
The following users liked this post:
RamblinMan (09-01-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
What calibration are they going to have done after the repair to the roof and antenna that would require a tow? Even if there was some bizarre calibration the car should be able to be driven there. The car will still run even without the GPS/cell antenna, but I still am not sure what calibration they could be referring to.
My guess is that removing the headliner requires to remove or disturb the camera in the windshield, which is used for PreSense and if it's misaligned it might incorrectly detect a possible collision and trigger emergency braking if the car is driven before properly calibrated.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:50 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
My guess is that removing the headliner requires to remove or disturb the camera in the windshield, which is used for PreSense and if it's misaligned it might incorrectly detect a possible collision and trigger emergency braking if the car is driven before properly calibrated.
Oh...well that sucks. I thought since they are not replacing the headliner they could just drop it down to do their work. Yeah, taking out the windshield/cameras adds a whole other ball of wax to the whole repair. sucks.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

almost all repairs need a re-cal - I had a scuff on the corner of my bumper (rear) and there is a sensor behind it. They would have had to remove the bumper and re-cal everything. small area - big repair bill - 3K estimate. Love that tech!
Old 08-29-2020, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver42
almost all repairs need a re-cal - I had a scuff on the corner of my bumper (rear) and there is a sensor behind it. They would have had to remove the bumper and re-cal everything. small area - big repair bill - 3K estimate. Love that tech!
I have had the windshield on my '19 A7 replaced with OEM glass twice (once on Day 6 after delivery - don't ask). My dealership group, Herb Chambers Audi, farms out all the glass replacement here in New England to what used to be J&N Phillips Auto Glass franchises, now part of the national Safelite conglomerate.

Both times the dealership pre-warned me that due to the front facing camera I'd have to return for a recalibration, to the tune of $890 if I recall correctly. Both times the shops (2 different locations) told me that was bunk, they re-calibrate Audi's all the time as part of the windshield install at no up-charge. I asked them what the calibration failure rate was, and both shops said between nil and 10%. Their system would kick it out as failed were it the case. No problemo X 2...

The car has since had full service including software updates and threw no error codes.

As Massachusetts has an across the board zero-cost-to-the-consumer policy for windshield replacement [the costs are automatically borne by and directly paid by the insurance companies) my out of pocket was zero.

The moral of the story is more than obvious....

Last edited by doctorharrison; 08-29-2020 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-29-2020, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought a used 2011 A6 around Xmas. Plastic cover for antenna came off in the car wash, never recovered. Local Audi dealership wanted 1,024 dollars!!! for a new antenna, installation extra at 100 dollars per hr, lolol. Found one at a NJ salvage yard for 60.00, free shipping. Could see replacement antenna is nippled thru the roof & I'm handicapped. Currently looking for an installer. The antenna body was sealed watertight to the roof. Many Audi components are OEM - original equipment made by other companies licensed to manufacture them for Audi, as well as for parent company Volkswagen, BMW, and Mercedes. Many identical parts are supplied by the same OEMs to multiple car makers. We can buy this antenna new, straight from FCP Euro and other distributors for between 112 & 224 dollars.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So an update to my situation.

I checked with the dealer I bought it from and they told me if I followed the advice of the certified Audi repair shop then all should be well when the lease is over.

I dropped the car off today and they told me that they were able to have their paintless dent repair guy work the metal back to where it looks in their words "great" and it would need no further painting. They did drop down the rear headliner to access it.

The rear shark fin part came as unpainted. This is what they said about the painting: "We mix our paint here in house based on the color code and we scan the car with a paint scanner."

Is that usual and customary versus say just ordering paint from Audi? I hope it has the same look. Luckily this is just the antenna and I assume it will be close enough.

On the calibration, it sounds like they think this won't be needed but, if it is, they told me I could go to the dealer.

As we wait for that paint work on the antennae, sounds like I won't have the car back until Thursday. We shall see the results.

Quick Reply: Roof top antenna broken on 1st day of ownership. Cost?