A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

Roof top antenna broken on 1st day of ownership. Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Roof top antenna broken on 1st day of ownership. Cost?

So we finally started a lease on our first Audi, a 2020 A6. My wife was pulling it out of the garage and hit the garage door. From what I gather, the GPS fish tail antenna device was torn slightly upward. The device is not suctioned all the way to the vehicle and I can just barely see under it and see what looks like wires. The tail is also scratched up. Otherwise it's on solid and the Navigation seems to be working just fine, finding GPS, etc.

What damages are we in for?

I'm worried about corrosion and don't want to leave it as it is with that open space. I'm worried this will mean some horror story like the headliner coming out, rear window coming out, etc. I've tried reading forums and I never see anyone discuss replacing just the device from the top but rather having to go through the headliner.

I'm assuming I should go to the dealer to let them inspect it and see what they say. Just worried I'm going to get screwed. Any advice or thoughts based on knowledge and experience with this? Two pics attached.

Thank you!
Old 08-23-2020, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Not sure I’ve seen that before. If everything it working you could use clear silicone and squeeze under or try to pull it the other way and get closer. Figure something got bent and needs straighten more likely. Just don’t know if you have to pull the headliner of not.
The following users liked this post:
RamblinMan (08-25-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just did a quick search out of curiosity. Removing the c-pillar covers should allow you to pull down the headliner - which clearly sounds un-fun and loud and won't provide you the access you need. I can't tell by looking at the picture but it looks like it pushed down/dented the roof which should be nice and audispensive. Good luck sir.

Here is something I found on another forum, A4 but probably very similar:

I did this at the junkyard in an attempt to snag and install a sharkfin in my A4. Access to the nut is through the rear overhead light. Pretty straight forward.
The wiring goes back and runs down along the driver side C pillar. This was a large pain in the *** to get undone. I dont think you need to drop the headliner as long as you can removed the C pillar to disconnect the wires then pull through. The one I worked on did not have any wires going forward.

Last edited by KDS6; 08-24-2020 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Mo Info
Old 08-25-2020, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KDS6
Just did a quick search out of curiosity. Removing the c-pillar covers should allow you to pull down the headliner - which clearly sounds un-fun and loud and won't provide you the access you need. I can't tell by looking at the picture but it looks like it pushed down/dented the roof which should be nice and audispensive. Good luck sir.

Here is something I found on another forum, A4 but probably very similar:

I did this at the junkyard in an attempt to snag and install a sharkfin in my A4. Access to the nut is through the rear overhead light. Pretty straight forward.
The wiring goes back and runs down along the driver side C pillar. This was a large pain in the *** to get undone. I dont think you need to drop the headliner as long as you can removed the C pillar to disconnect the wires then pull through. The one I worked on did not have any wires going forward.
Thanks for the info. I'm not confident in handling something like this so I will need to engage a professional. Do you think this is something where I should rely on the dealer or instead go to a reputable body shop place? I'm leaning toward a body shop place but some of this that may be Audi specific gets me concerned. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KatyTxA7
Not sure I’ve seen that before. If everything it working you could use clear silicone and squeeze under or try to pull it the other way and get closer. Figure something got bent and needs straighten more likely. Just don’t know if you have to pull the headliner of not.
I emailed a body shop I've used a few times in the past (good people) with photos. I'm a bit reeling at this response so far, quoted below. I don't know what their "best case" is but the comment about the roof having to be painted has me concerned. I see no damage to the roof aside from wondering if there may be a small dent that I'm hoping could be pushed back into place. I'm arranging to go by in person.

"So I am kinda struggling on this one because it's one that has like a best case scenario or a worst case scenario. Worst case scenario, your windshield and back glass have to come out. Regardless, because the damage is in the middle of your roof so to get a "like new" match on that shiny new car, your whole roof will need to be painted and cleared. I just don't want to shock you and send you a "best case scenario" estimate and have ginormous supplement once the vehicle gets here."
Old 08-25-2020, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

I would suggest you speak to one of the firms the take out dents without the need for paint. If it is dented they should be able to push it back, even if they need to remove the headlining first. As you say there is no damage to the paintwork
The following users liked this post:
RamblinMan (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

The other thing I would be VERY mindful of - If you have rear-Seat Airbags - remember that all that stuff is above the window and there may be wiring and such around there that you should be VERY careful with. This repair will go through the roof (no pun intended...) if something with the airbags get messed with.....headliner (I have been told....) needs to be handled with kid gloves.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Yeah, so the problem with this is that your roof is damaged. To get to the shark fin at least part of the liner has to be removed. The shark fin is screwed on from below, and if it no longer sits flush it means the roof got bent, the hole for the screw probably got torn up somewhat, too. Here's a video I found from somebody doing a DYI. This should give you an idea, even though it's an older model, but they are all mounted the same way. Easier to do with a wagon as you can remove the liner partly from the trunk and have much easier access, but to straighten the roof, even if done by a PDR guy, the liner has to come out.

Last edited by superswiss; 08-25-2020 at 12:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
doctorharrison (08-25-2020), RamblinMan (08-26-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Just go to your dealer and let them have a look. You don’t have to have any work done there if you aren’t comfortable but why would you use a dealer you don’t trust in the first place?! Just ask them at least.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So giving an update on my situation. There are two certified Audi body repair shops in my area and I saw one of them today.

Basically, they agreed with superswiss above that the headliner is coming out either way they go with the repair. They pointed out to me that the roof has ripples around the antenna on 3 sides and I could see what they meant. Their choices were Option A: Try to replace just the antenna and, while we're at it, see if the pointless dent repair guy can do anything with it (but they weren't really optimistic about it). They said with this option, they would leave the ripples because if you didn't know they were there, you probably wouldn't notice them. Now that I see them, I can't not notice them...but I will probably forget. Rough estimate of about $650 to $700 for this Option.

Their question mark is once they pop off the shark fin they said they aren't sure if they can get it to seal with the roof that is likely obviously dented. They will try. If they can't, they are telling me that they have to re-work the metal and that will involve re-painting the entire roof line to make it match per Audi specs and likely the entire rear lower panel. I questioned this as it seemed odd we would have to paint all that and they said it would probably be better to hide the paint line inside the door rather than on the roof. They also said under this option, they have to tow the car to and from the local Audi dealer to have the car re-calibrated per Audi specs. They said this option is likely $2500 to $3k but this was a rough estimate. They gave me a "formal" estimate on Option A with the agreement that they would look at the roof and try to make Option A work if that's the path they went.

BTW, I used a lease broker who saved me thousands on the lease and I bought this from a dealer about 2 hours away versus the one in town. The one in my area refused to agree to the deal I got so I went 2 hours north to save thousands. So I can't easily drop in on my local dealer but I did get in touch with the folks I bought it from. They said everything I Heard today sounded right to them. You just don't know until the shark fin comes off what the options may be.

So, it's a leased car and I have to decide whether to approve Option A or B. I play to pay option A 100% our of pocket. Option B would likely be an insurance claim. Dealer has said I'd likely be fine with Option A with the terms of the lease but....I'm not sure.

So that's the update. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Roof top antenna broken on 1st day of ownership. Cost?