A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

RO: Question about tire damage and quattro

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2023, 12:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RO: Question about tire damage and quattro

Hello guys,

I had a little incident, I went in a big pothole at 90km/h and my wheel and tires got damaged and my insurance company changed the wheel and the tire as well. This happened on front axel on, left wheel.
My car is a Audi A6 55 TFSI-e quattro.
Now my question is do i have to change the rights tires as well or not ?

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2023, 01:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

How much wear is on the right hand tyres. If there is only a couple of mm difference between the old and new, you should be OK. More than that then you should probably change them.
Old 10-26-2023, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Difference between them in time is 2 years, i will have to measure somehow the wear.
Old 10-26-2023, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex1
Difference between them in time is 2 years, i will have to measure somehow the wear.
I would guess that the tyres are more than 2mm different in tread depth, unless the car has sat in the garage for most of the last 2 years.
Old 10-26-2023, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I researched this very issue when it happened to me with another torque vectoring AWD vehicle. If there is substantial wear on the tires (I'm not sure of the minimum treadwear standard this applies to)
if you don't change all 4 tires, leaving one with substantially less wear than the others, it could negatively effect the operation of the torque vectoring system. I ended up changing all 4 tires.
Old 10-26-2023, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So i have to change all 3 of them or is enough to have 2 new ones in front and the old ones in the back ?
Old 10-26-2023, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

I recall audi saying on the same axel they want to see no more than 1mm different. and between axels no more than 2mm. i.e. front not more than 2mm smaller or larger than the rear.

One time, i got new tires on, then one got a screw in the sidewall. with virtually no wear, they just replaced the one tire. What you can do, is keep the take offs. You should end up with 2 tires that have very similar wear. then if you have a tire damaged, you can put those two back on that one axel.
Old 10-26-2023, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

2 years....replace all 4

wheel sensors monitor wheel speed all the time. 3 of your wheels will constantly be reading faster then your new 4th wheel. traction control, brakes, Quattro ultra will all be sending wrong signals.

can cost you big bucks if you keep it that way.

With quattro, always replace all 4 tires unless they are within 1mm or say 5,000 miles
Old 10-26-2023, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I wasn't expected that to be frankly, so if one tires got busted you have to change all of them. Why the insurance company is not changing all of them if that's the case ?
I will search now 3 new tires
Old 10-27-2023, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex1
So i have to change all 3 of them or is enough to have 2 new ones in front and the old ones in the back ?
I don't think you really have to do anything. But I think the recommendation would be that if you want the car to behave the way it was designed, all
4 tires should be within 1-2mm's of treadwear. I'm not an expert, but I would think that if the wear differences are significant, you have a greater
possibility of damage within the all wheel drive system, especially in a system like the Audi's (and others) which is a torque vectoring system where wheels
perform individually based on what the other's are doing. Treadwear differences matter.

I just had an afterthought.. I wonder if the new tire could be shaved down to match the other three? You might ask the tire shop.

Last edited by DopeyD; 10-27-2023 at 12:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Z06jerry (11-08-2023)

Quick Reply: RO: Question about tire damage and quattro