Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Would you recommend your A6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 09:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I apologize I should have provided more information. I was on the road for 8 hours today and have had little time to check the thread let alone anything else.

First. She is almost 60 and as as some put it, 'fit'. I feel a sedan wouldn't be a hamper on her body, especially an Audi. Secondly, she needs a car to get her around about 30 miles a day. Living where she does things are far to get to. She had a mercedes for about a month a long time ago and it was extremely unreliable, though it was never taken in, it needed work done. European cars are somewhat poular in our family too so I feel an Audi with its German qualities would not be too foreign. She is interested in performance, but obviously nothing like a S6; hence the TDI. Budget is not a problem so long as nothing exceeds $70k. Her needs really only justify a sedan. We the family feel she should buy what she wants but not let her invest into something she will not like down the road. As far as general run of the mill cars like Camry or accord those are pretty much gone due to the lower quality interior and low comfort (again versus Audi). A neighbor of hers has an A6 and that is why we are ocnsidering it. She has no major problems with hers other than a headlight issue, but it is the previus generation. Other cars we are also considering but being an A6 forum i left it to the A6. I only ask if it has been a lemon on four wheels because you generally do not hear about modern day german autos lasting a lifetime as do some japanese vehicles. Plus letting her drive something potentially unsafe with respect to re.iability is not something we the family would want. Overall to sumarize, my dear mother in law wants something nice for her retirement, she realizes things break/wear out, wants to carry groceries for family dinners and take grandkids to places etc. Imagine what your wives or MILs do when they are at this stage. Like I said, budget is fine as long as $70k is kept in mind. I didnt mean to let this escalate to what it has become and do apologize for not responding sooner.

Also I am typing on a tablet hence the grammar and spelling errors.

Last edited by gtab55; 08-30-2013 at 09:28 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-31-2013, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$70k is a pretty darn good budget. There are plenty of options out there for this type of money. I think Lexus GS 350 non sport or Mercedes E350 (new one just came out) would be good options to explore. Their ride is softer and less noiser. The interiors are on par with A6's. GS has fantastic sits. I tried and they are indeed really welcoming. C7' both exterior and interior styling as well as powertrain are the winning attributies in my opinion. A6 is, however, comparably higher in maintenance and will likely to give a good amount of headache down the road when mileage starts approaching 50K (not to mention what happens after 50k). Also Audis have lower resale value compared to Lexus and Merc (not involving BMW here) precisely because of its notorious reliability reputation.

I bought my first Audi and it happened to be C7 less than 2 years ago. During around 20 months of my ownership I have had enough warranty work done that none of my previous cars had them combined (i had only 2 before this: Ford Taurus 2007, Ford Taurus 2011). Here is a short list of repair work done on my firstwwp Audi:

1. Front diff seal failed at 7k miles.
2. Bad microphone installed during production. Replaced by using TSB at 15K service.
3. Multple MMI software and camera freezes so Audi updated to newer MMI and the problem was resolved (not permanently though)
4. Door and dash small rattles here and there. Raplced door panel and had to dissassamble the dash to get rid of the screw that got broken.
5. Audi did a recall to replace side air bags (i think at 25K service visit)
6. Finally this annoying back up camera that wont function properly. Audi replaced the camera module. It worked great for 2 weeks then the problem came back. Currently my car is still in the shop. Audi actually replaced the whole camera assembly at this time(camera, module, wiring etc). They wanna keep it for a week to periodically test to make sure that I wont ask them to repair for the third time with the same issue, which if fails again, would be a subject to a lemon law in CA, AND to satisfy me (which comes second in ordering rule).

Ironically I would choose A6 all over again if i was shopping for a car over any other sedans in its class. For me styling of C7 especially S-Line with LED headlights is a killer! The front looks super cool! And this super silky smooth and powerful powertrain is beyond the competition. I would certainly buy an extended platinum coverage. I dont mind bringing my car to the dealer multiple times a year. For one I get brand new loaners that I can use heck out of them lol. For two, the dealer is doin excellent job correcting factory defects.

Merc E class should bring their blue tech deisel model out soon. So it should be interesting to see.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by salvadorik
$70k is a pretty darn good budget. There are plenty of options out there for this type of money. I think Lexus GS 350 non sport or Mercedes E350 (new one just came out) would be good options to explore. Their ride is softer and less noiser. The interiors are on par with A6's. GS has fantastic sits. I tried and they are indeed really welcoming.
I would agree with this. I would have her test drive all three of these and pick the one that appeals most to her.

I agree the Lexus and Mercedes e350 provide a softer ride and have better seats than the A6, so she may find that appealing. They are not as fast 0-60 but I am not sure a second difference in 0-60 time sounds like her main focus.

Just a quick note on the A6 - you mentioned you are considering the TDI. two things to keep in mind. One, the A6 TDI is just out this year last month, so any answers you get here will not be from folks who have had any significant time with the TDI engine. And two, diesel is smellier / dirtier than gas when filling the tank. and not at every gas station. As long as your MIL is aware of that (I know my wife balked at a diesel in her VW for those reasons)

Good luck
Old 08-31-2013, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Maverick61
I would agree with this. I would have her test drive all three of these and pick the one that appeals most to her.

I agree the Lexus and Mercedes e350 provide a softer ride and have better seats than the A6, so she may find that appealing. They are not as fast 0-60 but I am not sure a second difference in 0-60 time sounds like her main focus.

Just a quick note on the A6 - you mentioned you are considering the TDI. two things to keep in mind. One, the A6 TDI is just out this year last month, so any answers you get here will not be from folks who have had any significant time with the TDI engine. And two, diesel is smellier / dirtier than gas when filling the tank. and not at every gas station. As long as your MIL is aware of that (I know my wife balked at a diesel in her VW for those reasons)

Good luck
For some reason I have a total confidence in modern Audi powertrains, regardless whatever choice I make. I am just all skeptical with respect to Audi's electrical components. This clean diesel technology that is shared with VW cars is one of the best in the world. Audi and VW are revered worldwide when it comes to producing good reliable diesel engines. Also, I do think "smellier/dirtier" stereotypical association with diesel engines is no longer applicable. Modern diesel engines are different. It is so unfortunate that US car market does not accept diesel based powertrains as much as European market does. But I am sure we will get there one day.

to OP: I would not recommend my A6 to my MIL. She would not be able to appreciate the power and the looks the way I do. Definitely not my A6. Perhaps 3.0TDI premium plus non sport with 18 good soft A/S tires would work better? Other options can be added as needed.

Last edited by salvadorik; 08-31-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:44 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
For some reason I have a total confidence in modern Audi powertrains, regardless whatever choice I make. I am just all skeptical with respect to Audi's electrical components. This clean diesel technology that is shared with VW cars is one of the best in the world. Audi and VW are revered worldwide when it comes to producing good reliable diesel engines. Also, I do think "smellier/dirtier" stereotypical association with diesel engines is no longer applicable. Modern diesel engines are different. It is so unfortunate that US car market does not accept diesel based powertrains as much as European market does. But I am sure we will get there one day.

to OP: I would not recommend my A6 to my MIL. She would not be able to appreciate the power and the looks the way I do. Definitely not my A6. Perhaps 3.0TDI premium plus non sport with 18 good soft A/S tires would work better? Other options can be added as needed.
The reason why the diesels are that popular in Europe is because the price of gas there is SO EXPENSIVE, while in the US is way cheaper, and they have diesel in all gas stations, I personally don't like diesel, don't like the sound of the engine, I like high rpms shifting and I am not hauling anything with my car.
while lower consumption is nice I prefer performance over good mileage, I do not think anybody buys a Ferrari expecting good mileage,
AND.... This is a very good point (having said that the MIL is a senior woman) there is the risk that maybe one day she mixes the nozzles and ending putting gas in the diesel tank, or maybe one day she is running low on gas arrives at the station and the is only gas and she thinks that "nothing will happen" for just one time.
I am not trying to be rude or disrespectful, I am not saying senior women are stupid. BUT I know of cases of people (FIL) putting diesel in gas cars (not as bad as gas in diesel cars) and those cases were even more difficult to happened because the diesel nozzle is wider than the hole of the gas tank and still happened.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gtab55
Hello. I was wondering, would you recommend your A6, just the car not the engine etc, to a grandmother about to retire? My mother in law is close to retirement and we are looking for a replacement for her SUV. The A6 in TDI form is very compelling but we are not sure about reliability and overall happiness for the sedan itself.

Has your A6 been a car that has lived up to its expectations as an Audi or is it a lemon on four wheels?
I love my A6 and would not hesitate recommending it to anyone, however if I was in your position I'd likely be considering something else. The safety features I've read about in the Volvo S60/XC60 have me very intrigued. Specifically their city-safe system that stops for pedestrians and cyclists (vs. cars in our Audi's) is pretty cool. If her reaction times slow over time, and if she drives in city settings, that feature kicking in even once can be worth more than the value of the car. While the A6 gets great crash test ratings, I think the Volvo's meet or exceed. At an "older" age I think minimizing potential injuries is almost more important since recovering gets harder.

The XC60 seems to get great reviews and would be a nice compromise between a sedan and suv. 2014 XC60 R Design...yes please! Just my $.02 worth.

[Edit] P.S. I know this can read as a somewhat ageist post, but that's not my intent. As some others have posted in this thread, I'm working on broad generalities and not specifics. Truthfully speaking if not for taking the hit on the trade I'd consider trading my A6 for either of the cars that I mentioned for the reasons I mentioned...so the benefits apply to all age categories.

Last edited by ThorsHammer; 08-31-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

We went to test drive an A6 TDI and also a Q7 TDI today. Both were very comfortable to ride in but the A6 was a blast to drive. Even she had a grin on when she drove and the torque was extremely impressive. She has settled on the A6 as far as Audis go and only in the TDI forn as it gave her the best impression.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

We went to test drive an A6 TDI and also a Q7 TDI today. Both were very comfortable to ride in but the A6 was a blast to drive. Even she had a grin on when she drove and the torque was extremely impressive. She has settled on the A6 as far as Audis go and only in the TDI forn as it gave her the best impression.
Well, there you go. I guess your MIL has a performance streak going after all.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Negotiations starting

This weekend I am going with her to begin negotiating on an A6. I still have some questions however that my research has no been able to answer.

1. The 20" rims would be a turn off due to the lack of tire options, harsher ride, and quicker wear on the tires. She does not need a sport suspension nor sporty rims. I am wondering from those on here who have the 18" or even 19" rims how do the tires hold up? Tires for her need to last longer than 40k miles and so far I have only seen the 18" rims offering those. It seems as though every A6 comes with 19 or 20" sport offerings so that is why I am wondering about the 19 too.

2. Brake wear. Do the brakes wear out quickly? By around 20-30k miles?

Thank you.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

This weekend I am going with her to begin negotiating on an A6. I still have some questions however that my research has no been able to answer.

1. The 20" rims would be a turn off due to the lack of tire options, harsher ride, and quicker wear on the tires. She does not need a sport suspension nor sporty rims. I am wondering from those on here who have the 18" or even 19" rims how do the tires hold up? Tires for her need to last longer than 40k miles and so far I have only seen the 18" rims offering those. It seems as though every A6 comes with 19 or 20" sport offerings so that is why I am wondering about the 19 too.

2. Brake wear. Do the brakes wear out quickly? By around 20-30k miles?

Thank you.

The 19 inch wheels come with All season tires which are Con Continental ContiProContact All Season tires size 255/40/19, whihc you can read up on at tirerack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Seems to be a decent tire with average life.

Mine only have 300 miles and I have them inflated to Max Load spec of 44PSI and they ride comfortable and quiet. I am pulling them next week as I have ordered some Hartmann 20 inch wheels and Michelin Pilot A/S 3 tires.

As a side note, the 19 inch tire size is not a popular size and actually replacement 19 inch tires cost more then 20 inch tires for this size. I'd say have her get the 18's but I hate those stock wheels on the 18s.

As for brake wear I can not speak to that, but if she will hate the brake dust then I recommend Akebono Euro Ceramics. front and rear pads cost under $150 and an Audi indie shop will charge around $80-$90 an axle to replace. They feel great, do not dust (300 miles since I washed the car and wheels are still clean) and should last a long time. My Infiniti M37 Sport OEM brakes were made by Akebono and at 45K miles they still has 20%+ left on them. My Audi dealer actually installed the pads for me.

Quick Reply: Would you recommend your A6?