Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Replacement

Hi Guys,

So I had a road trip this past weekend that ended up with this stone chip. A stone the size of a golf ball flew out from under a truck at about 80mph.

My question is this: Does the 2012 model have the same windshield as 2014? Someone told me that part numbers are different (from Audi). I would like to replace it with aftermarket because Audi wants $575 for the windshield and $85 for Rain Sensor Film (not really sure where the sensor goes on). However there is almost no aftermarket windshields for 2013-2014 because they are so new. So I maybe I can swap in a 2012 model year

So far in 4 months of ownership I have 3 stone chips (2 in one trip this past weekend). This has me wondering if the OEM windshield is weak or weaker than aftermarket. Anyone have experience with replacing the OEM windshield? If so, what vendor did you guys use and what is your experience with them.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2014, 03:12 PM
Banned

Do you have HUD and the radar stuff behind the mirror? I know with it you absolutely NEED to get an OEM windshield.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You should check with your insurance as this would be under comprehensive. Depending on your deductible, with labor, you might be better off replacing it with factory Genuine through your insurance carrier. Usually, rates are not affected by claims such as this.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

No HUD, no radar.
LED lights and rain sensor only

Deductible not worth the claim.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kaorisdad
You should check with your insurance as this would be under comprehensive. Depending on your deductible, with labor, you might be better off replacing it with factory Genuine through your insurance carrier. Usually, rates are not affected by claims such as this.
Did this same thing, no out of pocket cost for windshield. AZ has some pretty tough laws against damaged windshield/replacement, so I would double check if you go this route.

EDIT: Did not read OP's post below mine. Still, for others.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_L
Do you have HUD and the radar stuff behind the mirror? I know with it you absolutely NEED to get an OEM windshield.
There is no radar stuff behind the mirror only a camera, not sure what pkg requires the camera but if you have ACC than you have the camera, and of course the rain sensor.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfly_A6
No HUD, no radar.
LED lights and rain sensor only

Deductible not worth the claim.
Check your policy. There's often glass coverage with no deductible. I have it on my policy but there's some minimum size damage requirements.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Gents, I will check my policy, that is not the question here. Back to OP, has anyone had experience with other vendors for windshield, and does anyone know if the windshield from a 2012 model will fit.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2014, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfly_A6
Gents, I will check my policy, that is not the question here. Back to OP, has anyone had experience with other vendors for windshield, and does anyone know if the windshield from a 2012 model will fit.

Thanks
Can't see why it wouldn't. Again, if you're policy has no-deductible glass coverage, they should cover an OEM windshield, especially if there are no alternatives listed for your model year. If so, no need to look for an after-market one.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember also, this deductible to replace your windshield is related to the Comprehensive coverage of your policy, not to the collision coverage--they are totally separate.

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement