Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Will my S6 ever be the same?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will my S6 ever be the same?

Hi All, new to forum. My S6 and I were in a pretty bad accident (other driver @ fault). We were both accelerating rapidly through intersection and neither braked. Airbags deployed and the entire front end was damaged - more on the driver's side. Impact from the SUV seems like it shifted the entire front end about 10-20 degrees toward the driver's side. Driver door inoperable, window would not go down, car would not start, etc.

At this point, not sure if it will be totaled or right on the edge and fixed. If fixed, I'm very concerned about my S6 being fixed back to pre-accident condition and also about loss of value. I've already informed the other driver's insurance that I will pursue diminished value claim. Appreciate any wisdom you can offer.

For the record, no life threatening injuries. Lots of bumps, bruises, cuts - and really sore where the seatbelt was. Lucky to walk away from his one. Thx.
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2013, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Glad you are ok.

That is some extensive damage and potentially some frame damage to the front end. Very hard to make a car right if the frame sustained damage.

Personally I would make them total it and get a new car. It will never be the same no matter who fixes it and how good a job they do.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

First off, you just have to tell youself you are lucky to walk away from any accident and that its only your car severely messed up.

You do have significant power here. You have the right to have your own experts evaluate the car and decide whether it should be totaled or not. If it is on the cusp, you can usually then help to persuade them. Also, when it comes time for it to be totaled, make sure you do your own research on the value of the car. It entails finding your own "comparable vehicles" to decide the payout. You can use as little as 2 or as many as 6. If the insurance company is using more than two you have the right to ask them to remove a vehicle if you can come up with a valid reason. Sometimes just removing one vehicle can change the payout value significantly.

Good luck!
Old 09-19-2013, 06:48 AM
Banned

First off, the car did it's job.

Now, if that was my car, I'd want it written off and replaced in whole. You have insurance and they take risk in exchange for your money. If you opt for repair, it will always be the S6 with accident history. If it was a mere fender bender, then get it repaired. But from that photo, it's toast.

Be aggressive with the value during write-off. If you don't need to replace it immediately, go order another S6 and take a European Delivery.

That's what I would do.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by in2dwww
First off, the car did it's job.

Now, if that was my car, I'd want it written off and replaced in whole. You have insurance and they take risk in exchange for your money. If you opt for repair, it will always be the S6 with accident history. If it was a mere fender bender, then get it repaired. But from that photo, it's toast.

Be aggressive with the value during write-off. If you don't need to replace it immediately, go order another S6 and take a European Delivery.

That's what I would do.
Thanks All. I agree - the car did its job. The airbags are necessary but really took a toll on my face. I didn't realize how bad the accident really was until I went to the tow yard yesterday to get all of my personal items from the car (at the request of the at-fault's insurance co). Posting better photos here - there is extensive mechanical, structural, and (obviously) cosmetic damage.

For the record, I have no intention of driving this car again. It will never be the same, and it lost at least 30% of its value as soon as the accident happened. I'll "lawyer up" if need be and fight to get it totaled out.
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2013, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW sorry about your ride. I feel your pain, I had a car t-boned a while back and while the car was being fixed I was car shopping as I knew when I got it back I would not keep it.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by keithl
WOW sorry about your ride. I feel your pain, I had a car t-boned a while back and while the car was being fixed I was car shopping as I knew when I got it back I would not keep it.
How did you dump the t-boned car - trade or sell outright?
Old 09-21-2013, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oh Wow..glad you're ok.
I wouldn't drive it again either. Hopefully they will total it iout quickly so you can pick up a new one withouth much delay.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:45 AM
Banned

Yeah, that's toast. Glad you're okay.

First off, accidents happen. No biggie. Secondly, insurance covers risk. That's their job... to cover your risk.

Unfortunately, with insurance, the only way to win is to lose. Basically, you pay for years on a policy and you never see that money again. The only way that money comes back into your favor is if something like this happens. Granted, past policies, expried policies, etc do not factor into your current policy. But the practice of payout is the nightmare.

Given that the driver of the at-fault car is required to have insurance, unless that 4-runner is leased, I'd say 100/300 coverage is likely. However, in the case that it's not leased and that driver does not carry 100/300 and it happens to be lower, you may need to make sure you have uninsured/underinsured coverage on your policy.

I have never been in a situation such as yours and I am not an attorney. But it's just one of those things where you have a total loss on your hands.

The ideal thing is to get rull replacement value. If it were me, I'd settle for MSRP less depreciation based on current mileage. That's what the car's worth on the street.

However, keep your cards close. Do not reveal anything to them that could be used against you, such as how much you "think" the car is worth. You can scan online for S6 models with your options and mileage and hold to that value all you want. The key may be to step away from the phone and insist that all communication be handled in writing.

If it gets ugly, which I doubt, then you may need an attorney. But that cost will offset any gain in settlement on your loss.

Just be cool like Fonz and don't let anyone rush you into making a decision.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 90BUCS
How did you dump the t-boned car - trade or sell outright?
I traded it and then made a diminished value claim against the other party insurance and made up most of the loss on the trade, the other party was actually my companies insurance as their security guard hit my car, so it was a bit of a struggle at first then my company forced the settlement. It sucked trading it because it was obvious the car was in an accident so what a tough time getting a reasonable offer out of a dealer. In 2007 I got into an accident that was my fault and my car had $4K in front end damages and I put in a diminished value claim with my own insurance. They low balled ($400) me then I go an independent appraisal that detailed the loss in value and they upped their offer to $2500 total. Well worth the $300 for the appraisal. In the US most sates require auto insurance to cove diminished value, some insurance companies automatically cut that check others you have to argue with, it varies I believe by state that if you accept their offer you may be excluded from asking for more, so never accept a diminished value offer until you check and are happy with it.