Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Why no "headlights on" indicator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
It still amazes me that manufacturers don't take the best and nice features from competing models and incorporate them.

The OPs list is reasonable except that the HUD has to be sparse as too much information distraction in the line of sight is a potential law suit.

I agree with the headlight indicator issue.
A pdf should be available on the MMI. (to be viewed when in park only unless you enable VIM).
The steering wheel vibration would be nice.
For Nav destinations to be sent directly would involve a constant ping to the server so data rates would escalate.
The moon roof shade should be an option. I don't even want a moon roof yet alone an electric shade.
Oil temp is available with the enabling of Lap Timer.
I've had several Corvettes with HUD that had quite a bit more information and was configurable. I never found it distracting at all and don't recall any posts on the Corvette forum indicating an issu with that.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
I've had several Corvettes with HUD that had quite a bit more information and was configurable. I never found it distracting at all and don't recall any posts on the Corvette forum indicating an issu with that.
I agree, in fact, I found I didn't use the HUD much. To many years of not having one made the habit of looking down at the dashboard very hard to break.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
Conclusion: lawyers are not that bright and they and they haven't thought of it yet as another method of extortion.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by radarguy
I just realized that your signature indicates you may have come from a BMW as I did. Therefore, you may have a long list of annoyances as I do. Such as:

• No headlight on indicator
  • No pdf operators manual
  • No speed limit indication on streets that are not numbered routes
  • No speed limit in HUD
  • No street information on next turn in HUD
  • No multimedia information in HUD
  • Minimal details on turn information when leaving a freeway or taking a Y maneuver on a freeway
  • Lack of steering wheel vibration when changing lanes and a car is passing you
  • Radio presets not key dependent
  • Navigation destinations not sent directly from Google Maps to car
  • No electric moon roof shade
  • No oil temperature indicator
  • Inability to tune radio after you back out of the garage until you reach 6 MPH or press the parking display button

Things that should not be remembered after you turn the ignition off:
  • Seat Warmer On
  • Seat Cooler On
  • Steering Wheel Heater On
  • Wiper On

Things that should be remembered after you turn the ignition off:
  • Last setting for engine off when stopped
  • Last setting in Driver Information System

Each is relatively minor, but taken together not expected in a "luxury" car. The major reason I bought the A6 is it is much closer to being the 'Ultimate Driving Machine' than my F10 5-series ever was. The A6 is such a pleasure to drive.
I'll add one more. (I contacted Audi Customer Experience and asked them to forward my comments to their design staff--they refused!)
Here's the problem: I can't use my Adaptive Cruise control in mountainous regions when descending long downgrades, because it maintains speed by "riding the brakes" all the way to the bottom. To maintain speed when descending hills, even moderate downgrades out on the Interstate, the Adaptive Cruise Control on my Audi maintains speed by applying the brakes. In addition to being irritating to driver's behind me, I'm sure it wears out my brakes unnecessarily. Here's the very simple fix and it's based on a friend's Buick that has Adaptive Cruise Control. On his Buick, the speed is maintained by automatically shifting to a lower gear--Not applying Brakes. This is exactly the way I do it when I control my speed manually on long downhills without riding my brakes all the way down. I just shift to a lower gear, and for long steep downhills I use 3rd gear. As you can imagine, this is a major savings on the brakes.

As Audi continues to develop Driver-Assist features, this change to the way Adaptive Cruise Control functions would be significant. I hope you can pass my suggestions to the group that is responsible for these designs.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

It still amazes me that manufacturers don't take the best and nice features from competing models and incorporate them.
Unfortunately it seems they only do this when it comes to styling features, such as copying the Audi grille and things like that lol
Old 05-30-2016, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dicktahoe
I can't use my Adaptive Cruise control in mountainous regions when descending long downgrades, because it maintains speed by "riding the brakes" all the way to the bottom.
In situations like these, I simply use the paddles or shifter to manually down shift.The ACC can remain on for additional braking as needed.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The OPs list is reasonable except that the HUD has to be sparse as too much information distraction in the line of sight is a potential law suit.
My experience with a HUD is I never know it's there until I shift my eyes down a bit to view it. In fact I've driven numerous loaners and didn't even know they had a HUD until my gaze shifted to the display region perhaps a half hour after getting in the car. That's the beauty of the HUD. You don't have to shift your eyes very far and you don't have to refocus them on the instrument panel to see important information.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Great post and I agree with you!

I gave up BMW's WAY back in 2004 after I sold my E39 5 series which OBTW was a wonderful car. So most of your complaints I can't relate to with my previous BMW's. The other BMW I loved was a 96 328i. I would take either one of them over many of todays cars. In hindsight I wish I had never sold the 5.
E39. For me this was the Ultimate Driving Machine taking into consideration size, performance and handling.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by radarguy
E39. For me this was the Ultimate Driving Machine taking into consideration size, performance and handling.
Try the E60 M5 V10, all others are toys.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Try the E60 M5 V10, all others are toys.
Styling of E39>E60.

But back to the topic at hand. If I want to know for certain that the headlights are on, I turn the switch to "on". But yes, an indicator on the instrument panel would be a welcome addition.

Quick Reply: Why no "headlights on" indicator?