Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Whining/Grinding Noise From Front Axles

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow what a bill $10k! Imagine paying that out of warranty. Did you lease the car or have you purchased it? What are your thoughts of the car now that you have had to put in $10k to fix it? Plan on keeping it or getting a extended warranty?
Old 06-13-2012, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the car! I have always thought of it as a 3 - 4 year car, so will be trading/selling it at the end of that! Hopefully I will still be under warranty till then!
Old 06-24-2012, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jatmobil
I bought the car! I have always thought of it as a 3 - 4 year car, so will be trading/selling it at the end of that! Hopefully I will still be under warranty till then!
Sorry to bump this but I don't know many with the 8 speed CVT. Have you ever noticed when you put the car in R it takes a second to engage in R? Today I was in a hurry and put it in R and stomped on the pedal and jerked real hard and started moving. Normally I wait until I feel it engage before I push the pedal but today I was in a hurry lol, is this normal?
Old 06-25-2012, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

each time i put it any gear (D or R), after taking the foot off the brake, I wait for the tranny to "catch" and for the car to start rolling on its own (unless i am on an incline or decline), before stepping on the gas... it does take a second or two for the car to start moving on its own...

my rule of thumb, when putting the car in R, is to wait for the rear view camera to come up on the MMI and by then, the car is ready to move under load!

Hope that helps!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:33 PM
fcd
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
Sorry to bump this but I don't know many with the 8 speed CVT. Have you ever noticed when you put the car in R it takes a second to engage in R? Today I was in a hurry and put it in R and stomped on the pedal and jerked real hard and started moving. Normally I wait until I feel it engage before I push the pedal but today I was in a hurry lol, is this normal?
Sorry if this is off topic but I've noticed the same thing as what aretardedorange said. I have a 2.0 CVT too and if I'm understanding you correctly the car rolls forward slightly, as I transition from park/drive to reverse, as if it takes a while for the gear to "catch." It was annoying at first but the work around was to press the brakes and come to a full stop as I transition, to make sure it doesn't "roll" forward.

Another similar thing I noticed is going up a hill and coming to a stop, if you don't press the brakes fully as you come to a stop, the car will roll slightly backwards initially even when in drive. Have you noticed this too aretardedorange?

This is my first car with a CVT so I just thought this was a CVT quirk. I hope I do have the same observations as CVT owners. If not then I have a problem in my hands hehehe. Slight inconveniences but other than that I'm happy with the car.

As far as the main topic goes, no whining/grinding noise on the front axles, at this time.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Jatmobil
UPDATE #4 Jun 13th

Picked up the car yesterday! Brand new CVT(not rebuilt) was installed and the noise has disappeared. (for now - let's hope it doesn't come back). The issue was with the final drive on the CVT.

Looked at the repair invoice... they changed everything - kuckle, bearings, rotors, axles, before determinng it was the CVT. Not sure if they put all the other older parts back in. Probably not.

Total bill was for about $10k which ofcourse Audi footted!
Sorry for reviving this thread.

Glad you got it sorted in the end.

My dad just got the same car less than a month ago and started to notice the same problem days after receiving the car.

Problem still exists after the car's been sent to the garage for a week.

Now the dealer (in Hong Kong) implied to my dad there is a TSB of some sort saying this is an issue affecting comfort driving only (which I highly disagree and doubt) but not actual performance.

Hopefully the dealer will come up with the same solution in the end.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

UPDATE 2013-08-03:

The dealer got back to us saying there will be a "revised" version of the CVT coming out at week 48. They've promised to replace ours as soon as they have received it. Also according to the dealer this issue is known to Audi and since it does not cause any safety issue they did not choose to make a recall.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by drwhyung
UPDATE 2013-08-03:

The dealer got back to us saying there will be a "revised" version of the CVT coming out at week 48. They've promised to replace ours as soon as they have received it. Also according to the dealer this issue is known to Audi and since it does not cause any safety issue they did not choose to make a recall.
My wife has a 2009 A6 Quattro 3.0 that we have owned for 6 months and has been back to dealer 3 times for a rubbing noise in front end. Last in they said the put upgraded fluid into CVT that was service recall answer. Was noise when turning or moving at low speeds? thanks K
Old 10-07-2013, 02:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by RiverCity
My wife has a 2009 A6 Quattro 3.0 that we have owned for 6 months and has been back to dealer 3 times for a rubbing noise in front end. Last in they said the put upgraded fluid into CVT that was service recall answer. Was noise when turning or moving at low speeds? thanks K
It happens when you are accelerating from idle. It's more pronounced when your wheels are turned to extremes (e.g. when spiralling up to upper level in a car park). It does occur when accelerating in straight line as well, just not as obvious.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by drwhyung
It happens when you are accelerating from idle. It's more pronounced when your wheels are turned to extremes (e.g. when spiralling up to upper level in a car park). It does occur when accelerating in straight line as well, just not as obvious.
Cars in shop right now and I mentioned the CVT and they did not think it was and I am emailing this post to Wilsonville Audi

Quick Reply: Whining/Grinding Noise From Front Axles