Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Wheel and tire protection a scam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel and tire protection a scam?

Picking up an a6 with the 20 inch sport package in 2-3 days. The dealer tried to sell me the wheel and tire package. They didn't give me much detail, and just gave me the brochure. He said it would be 25 dollars a month added to my payment, which means it's 1500 dollars.

Now I usually swat these extras away, as my precious cars have had 17's. This would be my first car with 20's. But I've been reading that they pull Shinanigans when trying to make a claim. The dealer made it sound like it was all Honkey dory and never mentioned any loopholes for them not to pay. These are expensive items to repair, but I don't want to be a sucker either. Not sure what to do. Time is ticking to make a decision. I live in NYC and roads aren't the best. I will be getting winter rims and hakkapalitas for December to March. Please help a newbie out. I keep reading people complaining about bent rims. I had no idea they were so delicate.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2015, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Where is the edit post button on this forum? I meant to write previous , not precious cars. Auto correct strikes again.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I passed on the wheel and tire protection. Actually, my dealer told me it was not worth it. He pushed the Audi service plans which I bought.

I have never had bent, cracked or curb rashes on my wheels before (knock on wood) and had only once had a tire blow when the weather was -20 degrees F in my parents Jeep 25 years ago. I worried a little when I was in the stock P-zero summer tires with 20" wheels hitting bumps or pot holes, but after changing tires to Conti DWS06, I noticed a much more forgiving tire against jarring holes and bumps that took away my fears. That doesn't mean I won't get flats or damaged wheels, I just feel more confident my wheels seemed to be protected better with a change of tires.

On the flip side I did buy the wheel and tire protection for my wife's Mercedes SUV as well as every service package. (Very paranoid about her and my kids safety here in the US since this is her first time living and driving here). Knowing her driving style... Just a month ago she hit a ginormous pot hole from hell. Called me and asked me what she should do. So I told her to press the SOS button on her car and that called Mercedes service (mBrace) and 15 minutes later the dealer came with a tow truck and hulled her to the dealership. About the size of my fist rubber from the side wall was missing and her 19" wheel cracked beyond repair. Her steering alignment was messed up as well as the airbag sensor for front passenger seat. Luckily the service I bought took care of it all. If not, I would have had to fork over $380 for new tire, $470 for new wheel, towing, realignment for the steering $140 and resetting the airbag sensors $???. The cost of these things almost offset the protection plan I bought.

So...
My advice is, you are similar to my driving habits, don't buy the tire and wheel package for your car. But if you have unfortunate happenings like my wife, be sure to get that and other protection plans too...
Old 11-09-2015, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

I negotiated the price to where they included it. It is good for five years and covers any rim or tire I put on it.

I had it on my previous A5 and had to use it once. They gave me a prorated amount of credit based on tread life towards the new tire.

$1500 sounds really high. If you have to pay for it, try for $750.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

My understanding of these policies is that for a wheel to be replaced, the tire has to be ruptured and curb rashes are not covered. I've had a few wheels that needed straightening ($80 each) from potholes but never had an Audi OEM wheel damaged beyond repair nor have I lost a tire except one time a few years back on my 09 A4.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the policy for wheel repair is if the tire on the same wheel needs to be repaired, otherwise the policy is useless. I bought it, but now thinking of cancelling it since I'm on the second set of tires that comes with a warranty. The refund from cancelling might cover the cost of one wheel should I need to get one replaced. FYI - I paid $750 my policy, rolled into my payment.

On a side note, in my experience, depending on when you catch the finance person selling the add-on, you get different prices. If they are not able to leave because you are there haggling past closing time, and they want to get home, they'll often offer you add-ons at cost to get the unit sales with no mark up.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just used the protection on my Q5. Well let me rephrase that, my wife did. HA. Curbed the 20" rim. Called the dealer and they fixed it. No questions asked, no bill, repair was clean. Hard to do as i have the smoked sport rims on the Q5. Negotiate the price, but for me, it was better safe than sorry. With 8 20" rims, it could be a matter of time for me.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Lots of conflicting experiences here. NVThs1, had no problem, but he could have just been lucky. 1st time Audi, says they won't repair if it's just a curb rash. I have a friend who works at another dealership, and says he's seem them deny claims for rash. I don't think I'm going to do it, I could get the rim repair done at dealer cost from my friend if need be. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really just depends on your adversity to risk. In either case, you should pay $750 or less if you do go for it.

I guess you could just ram a curb and have it get fixed, but that's a bit extreme.

NVThs1 - was your tire and wheel damaged or just the wheel?
Old 11-10-2015, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

The bottom line is that any additional services that a dealer may offer that require an upfront payment is a scam.

Quick Reply: Wheel and tire protection a scam?