Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel alignment

Hi guys,

I want to ask where do you guys do the wheel alignments?
Do you have it done by dealer?

Today is my first service (5k miles), and I noticed my car's alignment is a little bit off. So I had my dealer checked it for me.

They later called me and say yes they found the wear on wheels is a little uneven. So they recommend me to do the wheel alignment.

They are trying to charge $250 from me!!
Is this a normal price?
I purchased a Pure protection plan before (it covers 1 time wheel alignment cost).

My sister's prius got a life-time wheel alignment from FireStone, and it's only $160 for life-time.

Is it because we have Quattro? They service adviser said because you have back-up camera, so it's going to be expensive.

I am wondering where you guys do the wheel alignment?
Can I bring it to the FireStone in the future? Does it make any difference?

Thanks for your help
Old 10-21-2013, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure what the backup camera has to do with the alignment. My Infiniti has 4 wheel steering and that alignment was only $89, I think they are nuts to charge that much for an alignment. Find a local independent Audi shop and ask them if they can recommend an alignment place.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer asked for 300 dollars and then only ended up charging me 150 because the alignment didn't require significant alignment.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

$198 here. My mercedes 4 matic was $200.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

I thought the vehicle is covered (by manufacturer's limited warranty) against anything for the first 10K miles (including all wear and tear items as well as alignment). Please correct me if I am mistaken here.

BTW, I didnt know that Audi Pure Protection plan covers the first alignment. Can anyone confirm that?

I honestly dont understand spending $250 for alignment, which main objective is to insure that tires are worn out evenly. Now this doesnt sound a good saving strategy to me. This amount is unreasonable for this particular service. No more than $100 s/b spent on this service. Anything more than that, IMO, is unjustified.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would like to advise though on a word of caution by not taking your vehicle to a qualified Audi shop, dealer or not. I took my Mercedes in to a 'discount' shop because I did not want to pay this price and they "fixed" it. But what they did not notice was that because it had air suspension, you had to turn it off first, so they really did nothing to fix the car. I got my refund and took it to the dealer where it drove better than when I first bought it new. Yes I know a Mercedes is not an Audi but the moral applies yet.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by salvadorik
BTW, I didnt know that Audi Pure Protection plan covers the first alignment. Can anyone confirm that?

I am sorry. My mistake.
It's "term care select".

"term care select" for $1000/4 years (was offered for $1800), which covers 1 free replaced of brake pad, battery, wipe blades) It also covers the LED headlight (which cost you $3000 each side if it's broken) and key replacement...etc.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by salvadorik
I thought the vehicle is covered (by manufacturer's limited warranty) against anything for the first 10K miles (including all wear and tear items as well as alignment). Please correct me if I am mistaken here.
Is that true?? Anyone??

According to my service consultant.
He said normal alignment is ~$125.
If you have back up camera and side assist. It's $250.
If you have Advanced cruise control, it's over $300.

To be honest, I don't think my dealer did a good job on my first service.
When my car was in today, the mileage was 5008, when I got the car, it's 5025.
Really? I know that did some test drive to solve the buzzing sound from my steering wheel, but 17 miles? it's a bit too much isn't it? Not to mention when I got the car, the average MPG is ~12, the mech probably had some fun in my car...

For wheel alignment they performed. I can still the wheels pulling to one side a little bit.
For my past experience, they will provide me a chart saying what was the original angle, and what's angle they adjusted to.

But on my receipt, it only says
"Performed 4-way alignment to spec and re-roadtest. Vehicle now tracks as designed and wheel is centered."

I know this can be ridiculous, but I suspect they only did the wheel rotation.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 191 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyp1227
Is that true?? Anyone??

According to my service consultant.
He said normal alignment is ~$125.
If you have back up camera and side assist. It's $250.
If you have Advanced cruise control, it's over $300.

To be honest, I don't think my dealer did a good job on my first service.
When my car was in today, the mileage was 5008, when I got the car, it's 5025.
Really? I know that did some test drive to solve the buzzing sound from my steering wheel, but 17 miles? it's a bit too much isn't it? Not to mention when I got the car, the average MPG is ~12, the mech probably had some fun in my car...

For wheel alignment they performed. I can still the wheels pulling to one side a little bit.
For my past experience, they will provide me a chart saying what was the original angle, and what's angle they adjusted to.

But on my receipt, it only says
"Performed 4-way alignment to spec and re-roadtest. Vehicle now tracks as designed and wheel is centered."

I know this can be ridiculous, but I suspect they only did the wheel rotation.
A lot of warning signs here. I would never expect a 17 mile test run unless you had an issue that was difficult to replicate. In addition, the prices quoted for various options seems crazy to me. Was it extra if you have led headlights as well? Seriously, I would call two other dealers even if you had to call an out of state dealer get the real prices and then let them know if there is something not right here and ask for a refund.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I always ask them to provide a print out. I just had them check mine because I don't like the way my car tracks. I requested the printout and kept a copy. It showed everything in range, although a few items at the extreme of the normal range. To me a good tech dials things in as close to dead center of the range as possible. I have not had good luck finding thorough enough techs on many of my recent cars, it is all about volume, get the car in and out as fast as possible.

Quick Reply: Wheel alignment