Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Well, my number finally came up...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Simply amazing snagit....love the color.
; )
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2015, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgeclipper
Just curious sngaitseven, but if one was to purchase the coating w/o insurance how much does that typically run?

Thanks!
It depends on the coatings chosen and the detailer. Assuming you want Opti-Coat Pro professionally installed, a full paint prep and application can run about $500-$800. Adding the Opti-Coat Plus layer could add around $300-$400. Location, reputation and attention to detail of the installer can play an important tole in price. As in many things, the least expensive isn't always the best choice.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It depends on the coatings chosen and the detailer. Assuming you want Opti-Coat Pro professionally installed, a full paint prep and application can run about $500-$800. Adding the Opti-Coat Plus layer could add around $300-$400. Location, reputation and attention to detail of the installer can play an important tole in price. As in many things, the least expensive isn't always the best choice.
I will have to look around to see if I can find anyone in the Dallas area. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 08-14-2015, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

So all this only took 3-4 business days? Pretty impressive

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Well, here we are on the last stage of this journey. Below are photos of Unique Car Care of Stoneham, MA doing a complete paint prep, installing the Xpel Ultimate and Opti-coat Pro on the new painted surfaces and a new layer of Opti-Coat Plus over the full car. They also did a complete interior detail and even cleaned the engine bay.

The car came out amazing and I'm exceptionally pleased at the end result. It now looks better than when new if that were possible. Please forgive the quantity of photos - I thought it would be interesting for those who've not had this done to see the process. (Note the Xpel Ultimate full hood piece from the 60" roll).

And so ends my saga. Hopefully, I won't have to go through this again for a very long time. Preferably never.

BTW, the total cost for the entire work from the body shop and detailer came to $9400 plus 13 days of car rental cost. My net share was $500 deductible. This was not your Earl Scheib "I'll paint any car for as low as $99.95" job.

Last edited by georgenyc; 08-18-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by georgenyc
Actually, 3 days including most of a day to let the Opti-Coat Pro cure before applying the Plus coat. Those guys work in teams and are very efficient (and really good). They have to be - by my count there were 15 cars being worked on or waiting their turn. BMWs, Mercedes, Porches, a Prowler, a Corvette ZO6, a Lambo, a Ferrari and yes, a couple of Audis.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

this incident reminded me of what an audi salesperson told me..."audi thinks of performance as a key feature for safety...i didn't quite understand at first, but they explained to me, or rather, asked me, 'would you rather prevent an accident or be safe after an accident happens?'"

judging from your photos of the car before the repair, damage could've been way worse, and i wouldn't be surprised if much of that is due to the handling, braking, and general performance of the car.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yup. And add a teaspoon of driver skill mixed in with a full quart of luck.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by georgenyc
Please note that (for me anyway) this site would be easier to navigate if posters did not "quote" a post with a large number of photos simply to say 10 words. Just saying.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Please note that (for me anyway) this site would be easier to navigate if posters did not "quote" a post with a large number of photos simply to say 10 words. Just saying.
agree, realized after i did it in a hurry - fixed
Old 12-30-2015, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

UPDATE..

As i may have mentioned previously, I had "accident forgiveness" and a $500 deductible rebate feature on my policy which meant my premiums would not go up for an "at fault accident". Since this was considered an at fault single car accident (the truck that forced me into the guard rail did not stop), I was charged for the accident on my driving record and had to use up the policy benefits above (which wouldn't be reinstated for 5 accident free years)..

In MA, you can file for an appeal hearing for a $50 fee. Since I felt I had a 50/50 chance at overturning the "at fault" status even though I had no witnesses to back up my story, I filed an appeal application back in July. I finally received a notice to appear at a hearing last week. I appeared before the MA Division of Insurance Board and made my case with photos and diagrams and was told I would receive a notice of the ruling.

I must have done ok as four days later I received a letter with a ruling in my favor - the accident was changed to a no fault status which as a result reinstated my policy accident forgiveness, deductible rebate and removed the accident from my driving record. A nice Xmas present. Persistence and preparation paid off. (Even a blind squirrel will find a nut now and then).

Quick Reply: Well, my number finally came up...