Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

ventilated seats not cooling?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
You're right - the thread did take a different turn from your original post. Is it possible that the software algorithm prevents the seat fan from activating until the interior reaches a certain ambient temp? If the car has been sitting in the sun for awhile, it would make sense to not to blow hot air up your butt, so to speak. In your garage, it would be much cooler I would think, allowing it to activate. If true, I'm going to guess that Audi's purpose here is to reduce moisture (read sweat) under your rump and behind your back which, if the air was hot, wouldn't work too well. (Boy, this is getting kinda gross)...

Others who have a Prestige could chime in on this theory.
Thats my though, that something is wrong with the logic. It makes sense but the commute is about 45 minutes and even if i leave the seats on the entire time i feel nothing. I did verify this morning with a piece of tissue paper that there was air movement. Later this afternoon i did the same thing, the fan was much louder but absolutely no airflow. i think there is a vent that controls the amount of air that pumps through and the programming is seriously off.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 A6

Originally Posted by directorguy7
I order 3.0 Dakota Gray, Nouget Brown int. Prestige, Driver Assist, Cold Weather, Black headliner. Getting it from Audi Willsonville in Oregon. Amazing dealership!
Will you post photos when you receive? I also have ordered the same interior/exterior/prestige and would like to see.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jperryrocks
If a customer mis-interprets something, then you can't blame Audi.

There is a difference between a ventilated seat and a cooled seat.

There's only a ~2200 difference between the Prestige and Premium Plus package.

For that amount you get the Bose Stereo, power tilt and tele wheel, sline exterior rocker trim, Led interior lighting, 4 zone climate control, adaptive headlights, and the ventilated seats.

That's a lot of bang for the buck and I don't see how anybody complain about that amout of extras for only $2200.

The ventilated seat might not freeze your B'hind, but it does help some.
Wow only $2200 difference is the US? Here it is around $12,000 difference. So wasn't worth that difference. Man I wish we have the same prices as you guys. (Prestige without sport package runs you around $83,000 here without taxes and registrations which is another 7~9k depending where in Korea you live).
Old 07-06-2012, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI
Thats my though, that something is wrong with the logic. It makes sense but the commute is about 45 minutes and even if i leave the seats on the entire time i feel nothing. I did verify this morning with a piece of tissue paper that there was air movement. Later this afternoon i did the same thing, the fan was much louder but absolutely no airflow. i think there is a vent that controls the amount of air that pumps through and the programming is seriously off.
Did you end up asking Service Dept about this issue? I agree with you, sometimes I feel the air coming, but most of the time it's just the loud fan noise and no actual air.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ptpro3
Did you end up asking Service Dept about this issue? I agree with you, sometimes I feel the air coming, but most of the time it's just the loud fan noise and no actual air.
I had my ventillated seats checked last weekend at the dealer while having my first service done. They said nothing was wrong after "testing them"... However, I'm having the exact same issues as the original poster (works when the vehicle is cool, but not when it is hot inside). I'm liking the thoery that was posted here recently. Today on my way home from work, which is an hour drive, it was 97 degrees out. Seat ventillation didn't work at all. Half way home, I changed the A/C setting to blow more cool air in the footwell. A little while later, I noticed that I could feel some airflow through the back of the seat. I'm not sure if it was just that the cabin had cooled or that the cooler air blowing down low helped. Since it's supposed to be just as hot tomorrow, I'll experiment some more and will update this if I learn anything new.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI
Does anyone else have issues with their seat coolers not working? When I get in the car in the mornings, the seats get nice and cool. But in the afternoon when the car is warm and I really need the seat to cool, I get nothing. It sounds like the fan is running, but I feel nothing coming out of the ventilated seats.
First, I just finished a rental on a Cadillac Escalade in Florida, a vehicle which has truly "cooled" seats. If you left them on the highest setting for a period of time your teeth would chatter from the cold. I would encourage Audi to duct the seats to the A/C system as Cadillac does.

Second, I'd recommend a test on your ventilated seats. On a hot sunny day when the car is 110F+ inside with sun beating on both the front seats, go start the car with the A/C on. Turn on the driver-side ventilated seats to max. Leave the passenger-side off. Leave the vehicle running and return in 5 minutes.

To start, sit on the passenger side first and feel the seat temp. Then go site and feel the difference on the driver side.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I sent an e-mail to Audi Canada asking about the "ventilated seats" and various forums stating that they weren't cooling very well and this was their reply.

"To clarify about ventilated seats: The functionality of these seats does not ‘blow’ cool air on the passenger, the most effective way is to actually have it work in reverse. There are fans in the seats which draw the warm air from between the passengers body and the seat. This creates a cooling effect and sensation that is often misunderstood as a “blowing cold air’."

I also asked my local dealer and he said they used to blow cold air onto your back but people complained that they were getting sore backs from the cold air blowing on their back muscles. So the idea is that they remove the warm air that builds up between your back and the leather. They will not cool you down in a short time span but will make it more comfortable on longer drives.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

One thing I noticed was the ventilated seat setting for the driver side is remembered each time the car is turned off. Not so for the passenger side - it turns off with the car.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
One thing I noticed was the ventilated seat setting for the driver side is remembered each time the car is turned off. Not so for the passenger side - it turns off with the car.
I think as long as the passenger is in the car, it remembers it, but if you start up without the passenger, and the air bag turns off, it also turns off the ventilated seat (and the seat heater as well, IIRC).
Old 08-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheNit
I sent an e-mail to Audi Canada asking about the "ventilated seats" and various forums stating that they weren't cooling very well and this was their reply.

"To clarify about ventilated seats: The functionality of these seats does not ‘blow’ cool air on the passenger, the most effective way is to actually have it work in reverse. There are fans in the seats which draw the warm air from between the passengers body and the seat. This creates a cooling effect and sensation that is often misunderstood as a “blowing cold air’."

I also asked my local dealer and he said they used to blow cold air onto your back but people complained that they were getting sore backs from the cold air blowing on their back muscles. So the idea is that they remove the warm air that builds up between your back and the leather. They will not cool you down in a short time span but will make it more comfortable on longer drives.
After reading this, I tried an experiment on my drive in this morning. I put the receipt for the last gas fill-up on the passenger seat and then turned the seat ventilation on high. The receipt was lifted up slightly and moved over to a portion of the seat that wasn't perforated. I think whoever said that the seat sucks in warm air is wrong, as I would expect that if that were the case the receipt would have stuck itself to the seat instead of being moved around by the ventilation.

Quick Reply: ventilated seats not cooling?