Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Trailer hitch for bike rack - any drawbacks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 02:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Greencat
I agree with your comments. That's the first thing I think about when i see a hitch on a small car. But on the other hand I did add a hitch to our suv for a bike rack and it is very convenient. I think the led brake lights would still be visible.

I'm curious about the roof rack. I would like it for skis. Where are the holes and which rack system fits? Are they under the door weather stripping?
Thule, amongst others make roof bars for the A6
Old 08-10-2015, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Greencat

I'm curious about the roof rack. I would like it for skis. Where are the holes and which rack system fits? Are they under the door weather stripping?
Just open any of the doors and look up at the top center of the door jamb and you will see the holes. You don't have to move the weather stripping. I have the Thule rack system. It is very light and easy. I also have the Thule hitch rack for 4 bikes that I used for 15 years on the back of minivans and SUVs as the kids were growing up. Now that they are in college, the hitch rack has been retired to the garage. The hitch rack system is much heavier than the roof rack.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 123 Posts

LeftFrank -- love this thread. One of reasons I went with the A6 was trunk size sufficient to easily accommodate my beloved Pinarello Opera circa 2004 (one of the best riding steel bikes every made IMHO). I take it you are carrying more than one bicycle hence the need for the rack. The Pinarello lives in the trunk since I'm not willing to risk theft/exposure to the elements and the few times I used a trunk mounted rack on my Acura TL it cut my highway gas mileage by 5 mpg. Agree with the other posts re: roof rack -- much better than trunk/trailer hitch IMHO. Best of luck.

Jeff
Old 08-10-2015, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are aftermarket bolt on hitches out there. Besides the license plate and taillamp view obsruction, You may want to see how it effects the camera and back up sensors. Im pretty sure when they add hitches to the Q5 and Q7, they do sofware updates so the car know theres a hitch. Im not 100% sure on that but it may be worth finding out before putting it on..
Old 08-10-2015, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Your clearance when entering and exiting driveways may be reduced. My partner's father installed a hitch on his Passat and it scrapes going in/our of the driveway at home and in many businesses.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff_B
There are aftermarket bolt on hitches out there. Besides the license plate and taillamp view obsruction, You may want to see how it effects the camera and back up sensors. Im pretty sure when they add hitches to the Q5 and Q7, they do sofware updates so the car know theres a hitch. Im not 100% sure on that but it may be worth finding out before putting it on..
With the inbuilt Audi wiring, with a lighting board plugged in the car knows a trailer is attached and disables the rear parking sensors
Old 08-15-2015, 04:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all your responses. It does seem like a roof rack is the best option for all the reasons mentioned here.

However, as an older person, and with bikes that aren't extremely light, I really cannot lift bikes up to a roof rack, so I have to eliminate that as an option.

A hitch rack itself will go on the car only when I am transporting bikes, but the hitch itself will be permanently bolted to the car (or until I return it the lease). So I'd like to re-ask this question:

Will the app. 42 pounds of weight that the hitch will add to the back of the car adversely affect either handling or fuel mileage? If the answer is yes, I might just stick with the trunk rack and put soft fabric under each contact point.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hitch

I do not think you would notice the weight. As had a hitch on my Porsche 993 for my tire trailer. I never noticed its weights.
To test this put a forty pound weight in your trunk and see if you notice it.