Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Trailer hitch for bike rack - any drawbacks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 06:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer hitch for bike rack - any drawbacks?

I have a new leased A6 2.0T PP.
On the 2004 A6 that I just traded in, I used a trunk mount bike rack (Thule Raceway), but it has left marks on the trunk lid and scratched the paint where it hooks to the top edge of the trunk. So I'm reluctant to use it on a new car (although I suppose I could use some soft cloth like an old cut up towel on all contact points).

Therefore, I was thinking of adding a trailer hitch and buying a hitch-mount bike rack.

But then I was wondering if there are any drawbacks to adding a permanent hitch. For example, there will always be an additional 42 lbs of weight just in front of the bumper. What might this do to handling characteristics and fuel consumption? Any other drawbacks?

What about the difference between having the bikes sitting almost on top of the trunk (trunk rack) as opposed to sitting further back off the bumper (hitch rack)?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2015, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Adding a trailer hitch is probably not as simple as you might think.

Have you investigated?

I use trailer hinch for bike rack, and have both the STRADA M Sport or something for 4 bikes and the traditional small hitch for one or two bikes. That works fine.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, I investigated and it seems pretty straightforward to install.
There appears to be only one hitch available, marketed by both Curt and U-Haul.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LeftFrank
Yes, I investigated and it seems pretty straightforward to install.
There appears to be only one hitch available, marketed by both Curt and U-Haul.
Is there welding involved or just a straight install?
I did read some hitches clear the sline bumpers but some you have to cut the bumper.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No welding, no drilling.
Just have to cut a 5" x 3" notch in the underneath of the plastic bumper fascia.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

As soon as anyone sees the hitch they will assume that you were pulling a trailer and will be concerned that there may be a transmission issue. On another front, with the bikes on the rack your brake lights will be obstructed and you may have no access to the trunk. Being a cyclist, my suggestion is that you purchase a roof rack for the bikes. The Audi is pre-drilled for the rack.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LeftFrank
No welding, no drilling.
Just have to cut a 5" x 3" notch in the underneath of the plastic bumper fascia.
I just skimmed through the manual no mention of the hitch, i will get underneath the car to see - I have sline so maybe a problem.

Originally Posted by KevinGary
As soon as anyone sees the hitch they will assume that you were pulling a trailer and will be concerned that there may be a transmission issue. On another front, with the bikes on the rack your brake lights will be obstructed and you may have no access to the trunk. Being a cyclist, my suggestion is that you purchase a roof rack for the bikes. The Audi is pre-drilled for the rack.
Ahh, i will check pricing on this. This maybe a better idea for sure.

thanks
Old 08-09-2015, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

These were popular in Korea and still popular. There are local copy cat ones in Korea at a fraction of the cost. But not sure which brands to trust from the copy cats.

https://www.seasucker.com

Certainly worth a look.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

here in the UK you can get a trailer hitch (we call it a tow bar) with retractable ball hitch as an option on a new build Audi, it can also be fitted post deliver, there are also a number of third party alternatives with fixed and retractable hitches . I guess one issue may be that they are not certified by the relevant safety authorities in the US. All UK spec cars have the trailer wiring already installed so it is relatively easy to add the cable socket.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I agree with your comments. That's the first thing I think about when i see a hitch on a small car. But on the other hand I did add a hitch to our suv for a bike rack and it is very convenient. I think the led brake lights would still be visible.

I'm curious about the roof rack. I would like it for skis. Where are the holes and which rack system fits? Are they under the door weather stripping?

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch for bike rack - any drawbacks?