Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Tracked the A6

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracked the A6 (shift light)

Took the A6 out to High Plains Raceway today for an open track day.
I had a friend that wanted to get out on the track with his 996 C4S; he had never been and was wanting some instruction/support. For background: I've been doing this along time and have instructed with ACNA, BMWCCA, PCA, NASA and have raced in SCCA and NASA.

All I can say is the A6 greatly exceeded my expectations. It was faster on the straight than my friends 996, it handled well for the overweight pig it is and the brakes hung in much longer than I expected them to. It was fun to give an S2000 and a Cayman S a hard time.

This is not a track car, but it is impressive that such a luxo-cruiser can comport itself so well.

Oh, I had the lap timer up on the display and was pleasantly surprised that a shift light would come up as my revs would rise, going from green bars to a flashing red bar as I approached red line.

Last edited by ColoradoMark; 06-20-2015 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Add more info
Old 06-20-2015, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoMark
Took the A6 out to High Plains Raceway today for an open track day.
I had a friend that wanted to get out on the track with his 996 C4S; he had never been and was wanting some instruction/support. For background: I've been doing this along time and have instructed with ACNA, BMWCCA, PCA, NASA and have raced in SCCA and NASA.

All I can say is the A6 greatly exceeded my expectations. It was faster on the straight than my friends 996, it handled well for the overweight pig it is and the brakes hung in much longer than I expected them to. It was fun to give an S2000 and a Cayman S a hard time.

This is not a track car, but it is impressive that such a luxo-cruiser can comport itself so well.

Oh, I had the lap timer up on the display and was pleasantly surprised that a shift light would come up as my revs would rise, going from green bars to a flashing red bar as I approached red line.
I generally agree that the A6 is not your typical track car but with some modifications this heavy beast can be turned into a much better 4 door track car that will impress most seasoned track guys/gals. I have had mine to more than dozen track events.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On a somewhat related note: Is there some place in the VCDS where I can disable the whole when brake is pressed the gas pedal is disabled feature? I'm assuming for track days you've done this, I'd like to know how.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've not. I was surprised that it wasn't an issue and also surprised that I could trail brake the car. This is really the first time I've seriously pushed a car on the track that didn't have a clutch pedal.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tracked my car 12 times last year mainly 1/4 mile runs. I have a custom APR tune and was one of the test vehicles. I have also done my own custom air intake and exhaust mods and right now I sit at 470hp to the wheels. My personal best has been around 12.48 @ 122mph.
I plan to do race this year as well if time allows me and hopefully more custom performance mods.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dshahs420
I tracked my car 12 times last year mainly 1/4 mile runs. I have a custom APR tune and was one of the test vehicles. I have also done my own custom air intake and exhaust mods and right now I sit at 470hp to the wheels. My personal best has been around 12.48 @ 122mph.
I plan to do race this year as well if time allows me and hopefully more custom performance mods.
Car and Driver did 14.0 @ 101 in their stock 2014 3.0T. I pity the longevity of your engine and drivetrain. Pics or it didn't happen!

As an aside, what made you toss so much money into tuning an A6? I would have just bought an Ariel Atom and called it a day.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
Car and Driver did 14.0 @ 101 in their stock 2014 3.0T. I pity the longevity of your engine and drivetrain. Pics or it didn't happen!

As an aside, what made you toss so much money into tuning an A6? I would have just bought an Ariel Atom and called it a day.
I didn't toss much money into it at all. The APR Stage I and II were free as my car was the guinea pig for it. As for the other mods, I actually own a few speed shops in the state of RI so the cost was negligible. I'd say less than $400 for the materials.