Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Tmobile 200MB/month free data for life!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a used Dell Streak 7 which qualifies. I am waiting for it to be delivered. I also ordered the Sim.

once i get the sim and device, I just have to put the sim into the device, activate the sim and then i can move it to Audi is what i am guessing. lets see how it goes.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cyberdentist
I got a used Dell Streak 7 which qualifies. I am waiting for it to be delivered. I also ordered the Sim.

once i get the sim and device, I just have to put the sim into the device, activate the sim and then i can move it to Audi is what i am guessing. lets see how it goes.
So if what you suggest works, I should be able to find any supported device (e.g. my old unlocked original iphone) and activate the sim. Then I should be able to move it to the car and get the free data. When I activate am I buying a plan?
Old 11-14-2013, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
So if what you suggest works, I should be able to find any supported device (e.g. my old unlocked original iphone) and activate the sim. Then I should be able to move it to the car and get the free data.
When I activate am I buying a plan?
It's not clear yet. There's a possibility the sim has to be directly tied to a specific tablet only and may not work in other devices including the car. Until someone can confirm one way or the other if it works and with no other paid subscription requirements (no one on this thread has yet), it's still an open question.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

I put the On Demand nano SIM that was activated in my iPad for the 200mb/month free plan via adapter in the Audi MMI and it works. Using an adapter is tricky though because the MMI expects the SIM card contacts to face down which makes the nano SIM fall out of the adapter easily (and possibly disappear inside the MMI unit, not a good thing). I suppose that a full sized SIM activated in any tablet should work also but a SIM activated in a phone may not work (if it activates at all on the On Demand Mobile Broadband plan).

The 200mb/month plan has a few limitations though:
- only available for tablet devices (more a legal limitation though)
- hard cut off after the 200mb/month have been used

Other t-mobile plans that work in the MMI:
- Mobile Broadband, $20/month - $10 discount for customers = $10/month with 500mb high speed included, after that it will keep working at 2G speeds
- Simple Choice Plan for an additional phone line at $10/months with 500mb/months high speed included, after that it will keep working at 2G speed (1)
- Simple Choice Plan for an additional phone line at $30/months with unlimited high speed data (1)
- the standard Audi Connect plan which is between $30/month and $15/month with unlimited high speed data

(1) This option may stop working once t-mobile adds the Audi MMI IMEI to the known list of broadband devices
Old 11-14-2013, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
I put the On Demand nano SIM that was activated in my iPad for the 200mb/month free plan via adapter in the Audi MMI and it works. Using an adapter is tricky though because the MMI expects the SIM card contacts to face down which makes the nano SIM fall out of the adapter easily (and possibly disappear inside the MMI unit, not a good thing). I suppose that a full sized SIM activated in any tablet should work also but a SIM activated in a phone may not work (if it activates at all on the On Demand Mobile Broadband plan).

The 200mb/month plan has a few limitations though:
- only available for tablet devices (more a legal limitation though)
- hard cut off after the 200mb/month have been used

Other t-mobile plans that work in the MMI:
- Mobile Broadband, $20/month - $10 discount for customers = $10/month with 500mb high speed included, after that it will keep working at 2G speeds
- Simple Choice Plan for an additional phone line at $10/months with 500mb/months high speed included, after that it will keep working at 2G speed (1)
- Simple Choice Plan for an additional phone line at $30/months with unlimited high speed data (1)
- the standard Audi Connect plan which is between $30/month and $15/month with unlimited high speed data

(1) This option may stop working once t-mobile adds the Audi MMI IMEI to the known list of broadband devices
I got a nano sim from them as well thinking it would be the most versatile. Maybe a permanent gluing to the adapter is in order.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'll just remind everyone of Truphone, which has been pretty reliable for me. I think everyone who tried it got it to work. I use all the Audi Connect features regularly, except google maps and WiFi, so as to keep my data usage down.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

They should really make cars able to connect to a WiFi Hotspot (phone/tablet) instead of requiring a sim card plugged in.

So that people can get a internet sharing plan for their smartphone instead a full data plan.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
Yea, I have a couple of the free full size SIM cards I was able to get - just have not yet figured out how to activate them as I have no tablet they will work in.

I have an unlocked phone I could use to activate it but am worried that will tie the SIM to that IMEI and make it not able to sign up for the 200MB free per month

I would be interested if someone gets it to work activating the SIM in their tablet then moving the SIM to their Audi, especially as my initial Audi Connect just ran out. Not a huge issue for me as other than google maps, I never used Audi Connect - and right now I still have been able to have the google maps working fine (I assume mainly cached copies)
Just activate it in a standard size tablet at a store, I don't think the IMEI will be attached to and if it gets attached to you just lost 10 dollars
I have used the Audi connect SIM card in my IPad and att SIM cards in my car with no problems so why would that happen now?
Tmobile strategy is to steal the customers from the competition so they give away 200mb for free in your AT&T tablet, in a tablet 200mb is nothing, most people are used to use their tablets in wifi, but a couple of YouTube videos and bye bye 200mb, the sim is already inside your IPad and Tmobile hopes to sell the data after the 200mb.
I have used micro SIM card in my Audi with an adapter with no problem, I was thinking to get a micro sim for my"IPad" and then use it in the car, but if your standard sim work, there is no point of ordering a micro, please let me know how it goes.

Last edited by feralc; 11-15-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay this is my experience.

i got the Dell streak (I bought this as it uses full size sim)
Got Data sim from Tmobile ($10)
I put the sim into Tablet and it took me to Tmobile site for activation (mim.tmobile.com) You can't go to mim.tmobile.com from iphone or other devices as it detects whether its a phone or tablet.
I activated the card and was able to browse 4G on my tablet

Then, I put the sim into A6 and it shows 3G and 3 bars and when I try to search something, it says no internet connection established. So i went in and changed APN settings on A6 to epc.tmobile.com.

Still does not work. The simcard works fine in tablet. Any ideas?
Old 11-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do I need to call Audi to enable Audi connect?

Quick Reply: Tmobile 200MB/month free data for life!