Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Tire Questions / Recommendations??

Old 07-15-2014, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Questions / Recommendations??

I'm going to need new tires (either 2 or 4) on my 2013 w/ 20's. I'm debating whether to go with: (i) the OE Pirelli P Zeros; (ii) Hankook Ventus; or (iii) something else. Two tire shops have said good stuff about the Hankooks.

Does anyone know anything about the Hankooks? If they're good, I'd love to save some money (especially because I manage to find every pothole in LA). That said, I don't want crappy tires and poor quality is never a bargain.

If my car is a lease, would they ding me for using a different brand of tire?

Thanks!!
Old 07-15-2014, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

It really depends on your definition of good.
Are you wanting a higher mileage tire that lasts a long time or a sticky tire?
I had new Hankooks on my car. When I changed wheels I put on Michelin PS A/S 3s and the difference was night and day. My cornering speed went up around my favorite turns by 10-15 mph my gas mileage went down by about 3/4 mph. They come with a 45,000 warranty
If you want anything stickier go with Michelin PSS but they will last you less than 25,000 miles.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Will second both the Michelin choices. I put Michelin PSS on our TT when the P Zero's were at 8k because I couldn't not stand the noise - even in a roadster with all the other various road and wind noise it was unbearable. The PSS are amazing, very sticky yet still a nice smooth ride and minimal tread noise. Heard good things about the A/S 3s if you want longer tread wear and need winter temp compatibility. Really can't go wrong with Michelin, I think most people here will agree they have a very broad range of excellent tires.

You could also try the continental ExtremeContact DW in the summer range.

My advice, stay away from Hankooks, at this caliber car do not cheap out on tires.

As for lease turn in, they just go off tread depth. They probably don't even check speed/load rating but keep at least an H rating speed and 97 load rating and you will be fine regardless of brand.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

My Michelin Pilot Super Sports are wonderful tires.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Michelin AS3 tires, sure they are a tad pricey, but worth every damn penny! What a great handling yet comfortable tire. Since the are UHP tires they do generate a tad of noise, but well worth it.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'll be swapping my OEM Pzeros for ContiExtremeContact DWS - but that's because we get snow.

FWIW, not sure shipping to LA would make sense, but my set will be available soon. Just over 1k miles on them now, figure still under 1500 by then....
Old 07-15-2014, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Anything other than another set of Pirelli P-Zeros.
Any..other..thing.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cyncris
It really depends on your definition of good.
Are you wanting a higher mileage tire that lasts a long time or a sticky tire?
I had new Hankooks on my car. When I changed wheels I put on Michelin PS A/S 3s and the difference was night and day. My cornering speed went up around my favorite turns by 10-15 mph my gas mileage went down by about 3/4 mph. They come with a 45,000 warranty
If you want anything stickier go with Michelin PSS but they will last you less than 25,000 miles.
I really like the Michelin A/S 3, I have them on my Audi A6. Please note that Michelin reduces the warrantee by 1/2 since the tires can't be rotated front to back.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dicktahoe
I really like the Michelin A/S 3, I have them on my Audi A6. Please note that Michelin reduces the warrantee by 1/2 since the tires can't be rotated front to back.
Seconded on the A/S 3, great all weather set. The Pirellis were horribly noisy.

Can you elaborate why you can't rotate front to back? I know the A6 doesn't have staggered sizes and I haven't heard it before.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I had the Michelin Pilots on my Acura RL and then went with the Hankook Ventus V12's. At first I thought that they were very similar but the Hankooks got hard after about 15 to 20K miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Questions / Recommendations??