Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Radio Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio Questions

So I've had some more time in my car and had a couple questions you guys could help answer:

1) I seem to never get radio text to come through on the main screen. However, when I go to the functions menu, I can get the song information. What gives?

2) My HD radio cuts out on over passes way too much for my taste. I know it's on the same spots, but can't this be better.

Sorry if these are duplicate questions. I searched for answers but couldn't find these answers.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2014, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st Time Audi
My HD radio cuts out on over passes way too much for my taste. I know it's on the same spots, but can't this be better.
Don't know how helpful my answers will be, but....

HD radio in the USA uses a methodology known as in-band-on-channel. To put it bluntly, this was a crappy way to implement digital radio. I won't go into detail. There are hundreds of pages of discussion on the web on the whats, whys, and wherefores.

It probably isn't the car and there probably isn't anything you can do about it.

Also, the majority of the towers used by broadcasters in DFW are in Cedar Hill. Frisco is about 40 miles away. For weaker class C1 stations, like KMVK-HD2 (The Oasis), southern Collin County is near the edge of the effective range of these signals.

The upside to having the towers in Cedar Hill is that if you like KJKK-HD2 (The Strip), which my wife does, you can sometimes listen to it almost to Waco when driving down 35.

HD signals live on a sideband and are more susceptible to just about any kind of interference. KRLD-AM switches to analog mode constantly when driving up and down Central Expressway south of LBJ even though its 50,000 watt transmitter site is only about 10 miles away.