Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Tire newby

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire newby

Hey Guys,

I have millions of questions, but I'm trying not to ask them all at the same time. I have noticed that my car has somewhat of used up tires. I am not a tire expert and before I go to a shop and get persuaded to purchase a new set of tires. I thought I may ask you guys. I saw these tires on tire rack for a very reasonable price. Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 (W-Speed Rated)

These seem a little cheap, but reviews and specs show that they are worth it. I am not one to buy cheap with a nice car, but if I could save some money here and still get a good product due to brand name I am definitely willing to purchase these. I would like your guys opinions on these.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Go for Michelin Pilot Sports for the warm weather and get a second set of wheels with full on snow tires for the winter. The car will be unstoppable!
Old 05-03-2016, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It does well against other crap tires but its not in the same league as the good tires. I would absolutely spend the extra 80 bucks a tire and pop for a DWS at the least. Tires are everything when it comes to a car. They affect braking, handling, ride, steering feel...everything. If there is any place to splurge, its on the tires. You can make a 70K car feel worse than a 20K car by putting on crap tires.

Mike
Old 05-03-2016, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's keep it simple! Stay with the same size as current:

If you prefer comfort/quite/smoothness more than anything else: Michelin Premier A/S

If you like a balance of comfort/quiet and enjoy some more steering/handling performance: Continental DWS06

If you have a desire for more performance and willing to trade off a bit of comfort/quiet: Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+

These are all all season tires. I don't know where you live, but see you have the Cold Weather Package. If you have winters, you will also need a set of winter tires, but you have time for that. For the record, look for Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 or Michelin XIce xi3. EDIT: FOR WINTER TIRES, get 18" wheels and matching tires. Narrower is better for winter.

Skimp on almost anything else before tires. If all goes well, tires are the only contact with the outside world you car has and you have a lot riding on that being safe and secure!

Good luck!

Last edited by Sportstick; 05-03-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportstick
Let's keep it simple! Stay with the same size as current:

If you prefer comfort/quite/smoothness more than anything else: Michelin Premier A/S

If you like a balance of comfort/quiet and enjoy some more steering/handling performance: Continental DWS06

If you have a desire for more performance and willing to trade off a bit of comfort/quiet: Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+

These are all all season tires. I don't know where you live, but see you have the Cold Weather Package. If you have winters, you will also need a set of winter tires, but you have time for that. For the record, look for Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 or Michelin XIce xi3. EDIT: FOR WINTER TIRES, get 18" wheels and matching tires. Narrower is better for winter.

Skimp on almost anything else before tires. If all goes well, tires are the only contact with the outside world you car has and you have a lot riding on that being safe and secure!

Good luck!
I greatly appreciate this information. I do live in the northern suburbs of Chicago so the winters are rough, which is the whole reason why I got an Audi. I wanted the Quattro and the looks of a beast. I guess I will be saving for some 18" and tires it sounds like then. I was hoping to beast through the winters with 20" but I'd rather not risk damage to those beautiful rims. I know the last owner didn't have winter tires cause there are scuff marks all over my rims
Old 05-03-2016, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JLochan
I greatly appreciate this information. I do live in the northern suburbs of Chicago so the winters are rough, which is the whole reason why I got an Audi. I wanted the Quattro and the looks of a beast. I guess I will be saving for some 18" and tires it sounds like then. I was hoping to beast through the winters with 20" but I'd rather not risk damage to those beautiful rims. I know the last owner didn't have winter tires cause there are scuff marks all over my rims
Well based on that then my 2 cents is to go for Michelin Pilot Super Sports...
Old 05-03-2016, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
Well based on that then my 2 cents is for the Michelin Pilot Super Sports...
Those PSS are outstanding summer tires, but there will be two annual prolonged periods, in the early Spring and late Fall, in Chicago (just like we have in Detroit) when the temps are below 45 but there is no snow, when the PSS should not be used due to significant loss of traction and potential for compound cracking. This is one major reason folks buy in the Ultra High Performance All Season category, such as Pilot Sport AS3+ designed to provide as much PSS-type performance as possible, but in an all-season tire. This gives a great year round balance of maximum performance as long as possible and riding on softer dedicated studless winter tires only when needed.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

First you have too decide if you are willing to have two sets of tires - summer and winter or want to stay with one set year round - all seasons tires. If you want to plow through deep snow you really have no choice but to go with two sets. If you will be sticking to under 5" and plowed roads, you should be able to get by with a good set of all season tires that are better reated for light snow performance like the Conti DWS 06.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
First you have too decide if you are willing to have two sets of tires - summer and winter or want to stay with one set year round - all seasons tires. If you want to plow through deep snow you really have no choice but to go with two sets. If you will be sticking to under 5" and plowed roads, you should be able to get by with a good set of all season tires that are better reated for light snow performance like the Conti DWS 06.
I've read this strategy of summer and winters before, but can't help but wonder about the gap. Could you please discuss further how you suggest dealing with the month or more in late Fall and early Spring in the northern areas when temps don't allow summer tires....do you suggest riding on winter tires on dry, cold (upper 30s/lower 40s) pavement for prolonged periods?

I've done the most performance-oriented UHPAS for most of the year and then studless winters for max capability in the actually snowy months as my solution. I sold an OE set of PSS and installed AS3 for the very reason that I couldn't use them long enough each year and didn't want to ride on studless winters more than needed.

Your thoughts?
Old 05-03-2016, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportstick
do you suggest riding on winter tires on dry, cold (upper 30s/lower 40s) pavement for prolonged periods?

Your thoughts?
That's what I did this year but once the OEM P-Zeros are shot you have me seriously considering the high performance all season Pilot Sport AS3+ for the very reasons you keep bringing up until it's time to put on the dedicated snows again.

Last edited by DanfZX14; 05-03-2016 at 03:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire newby