Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Tinting Suggestions: Regular 3M or Ceramic

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in California it is 70% for the front. Anybody have an example of 70.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dnebout
Here in California it is 70% for the front. Anybody have an example of 70.
Front? I thought it was illegal for the front in California

Where did you see that it was 70%?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just had mine tinted with Ceramic at 30% all round. Looks great and really cuts out the heat. My car is black on black so I need it. Illegal to do the sides in Michigan, tried not to go too dark and get away with it.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

When I meant front, I meant driver and passenger side front seat.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I meant front, I meant driver and passenger side front seat.
Ahh ok, thanks for the clarification. Where did you see that? I couldn't find it.

For me, I did 30% front and 20% everywhere else, got the IR Rejection Tint. Just posted pics to the Pictures thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...&postcount=250
Old 06-08-2012, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by manishaudi
Ahh ok, thanks for the clarification. Where did you see that? I couldn't find it.

For me, I did 30% front and 20% everywhere else, got the IR Rejection Tint. Just posted pics to the Pictures thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...&postcount=250
If that's 30% in front, then 70% must hardly be any heat protection. I have to see a picture of 70. Thanks for the link.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

If that's 30% in front, then 70% must hardly be any heat protection. I have to see a picture of 70. Thanks for the link.
70% is like there is nothing on the glass
Old 06-12-2012, 01:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by weth
Really? What is the source. I doubt the 3M Crystalline is below the lowest Huber Optik product. If you look at TSER% claims, it does not back up your statement.
Sorry it took a while to respond. Was away for business for a while. I used to have 3m crystal on my Lexus, had peeling issues in the hot humid weather here in S. Korea. Also i had constant cellphone and RF gate card issues along with higher reflection from the inside out onto the front window. All Lexus dealerships here used to give 3M as extra free service and the warrant on the film is only 5 years max, but that all went away from 3M. Many people in South east Asia have reported similar issues as me. As for the Audi and BMW, they only offer Solar gard since the local reps give them life time warranties and i have yet to find any issues with the two I mentioned on the first post. You can do some quick searching in the Benz, BMW, Lexus, Audi Asian forum for the claims. As for me, I have solar guard HP charcoal 40% infront window and 13% on all side and rear windows for my first Audi A6. I chose charcoal because my A6 is white and HP Quantum reflects too much. Heat reflection as i was told was slightly better on the charcoal than Huper. There is no tinting laws here and in most Asian countries the same. As for Benz, don't know what they offer as free tinting film service here.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks for the response. Here in Southern California, USA humidity is not a problem. In the USA 3M crystalline has vehicle lifetime warranty. As we have tinting laws here, I needed most heat protection with least tinting and went with 3M crystalline 70 windshield, 60 front seat side windows, and kept factory 20 in rest of the Q7. The difference has been dramatic when driving in the sun, the heat on the top of dashboard and on your legs is very apparent. I was suspect of the claims, but am true believer after feeling first hand the difference in solar energy transmission.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think its illegal to have windshield and front driver/passenger windows tinted in California but many drivers including myself tint them to varying degrees anyways. Back windows have no limit to tint. I've always tinted my front driver/passenger windows to about 40-50% with no issues from the law.

Quick Reply: Tinting Suggestions: Regular 3M or Ceramic